Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any experience with home blood pressure cuff

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Umpteen years ago, I did take a course on measuring BP. Took a couple hours,
and was very informative. I'd make some calls, and see if any of the
ambulance bases around you can find such a course.

You think your BP might go down a bit, if she'd stop harping on you?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Vinny P." wrote in message
My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 07/28/2012 01:37 PM, Vinny P. wrote:
My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

I like my Omron BP785 better than the others I've tried. It's easier to
use and seems to get numbers closer to what the nurse at my doctor's
office gets (nothing scientific here, though).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 1:37*pm, "Vinny P." wrote:
My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

I got the Harbor Freight wrist unit a couple of years ago for 15.99 at
my local HF. Unit seems to be fine, the numbers agree very closely
with what the Dr/nurse get when I have it done there. The trick for
the wrist unit is to place it as shown in the directions and to hold
your hand at the elevation shown and with your fingers slightly
curled, but not tense, as shjown in the instructons. I would say it
is within 4 points at 120, and less than 3 points at around 65. I did
have to push one piece of the cuff back into the plastic housing when
it came loose one time, that's all. It also gives pulse rate.
Totally happy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2012 2:37 PM, Vinny P. wrote:
My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

I've got an arm unit and a cheapo HD wrist unit and don't like either.
The arm one is difficult to attach properly and the wrist does not agree
with it. I prefer testing on the drug store machines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vinny P." writes:

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

They're not very expensive easy to use and accurate (or at least
they produce consistent readings).

The one I got has a USB port but had no information in the package
about how to use it. So far, it resists all my attempts to
get data out of the unit.

I'd look for one that at least claims in the packaging that the
USB port works. I good computer based BP history would be
worthwhile I think.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-28, Vinny P. wrote:

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Jes so happens I bought a brand new "Aneroid Sphygmomanometer":

http://tinyurl.com/cmwtjt2

Works exactly like the one yer doctor uses. The difference is, this
unit has the stethoscope built into the cuff so you don't hafta hold
it while you are letting the air outta the cuff. This is as it should
be, as a unit with a separate stethoscope is harder to use cuz you
only have so many hands. This one also has a re-zero-able gage, the
reason I hadda toss my old one, which didn't.

This is the most accurate way to take yer own blood pressure. You can
actually slow the release of air in the cuff down to the point where
it's slow enough to get an extremely accurate reading, unlike
automatic ones. If you are not savvy as to how blood pressure is
taken/read, ask yer doctor or a nurse. It's actually rather simple
and a manual cuff gives you precise accurate control.

I had an auto digital blood pressure unit, but didn't trust it. I
tossed it and bought this one, which looks exactly like the one I had
before, 'cept my other one didn't have a re-settable gage.

nb

--
"I didn't know I worked here.
I must've forgot my apron"
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
notbob wrote:

I had an auto digital blood pressure unit, but didn't trust it. I
tossed it and bought this one, which looks exactly like the one I had
before, 'cept my other one didn't have a re-settable gage.

nb

I won't use them either. Had a patient that was getting a BP medicine,
the auto had him as having a high blood pressure, which he hadn't had
the whole hospitalization. Redid it manually and got a BP that was real
low. If I had used the auto I would have crashed him.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinny P. wrote:
My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Hi,
I have A&D Engineering Inc.'s UA-731 which runs on four AA batteries.
When I had kidney trouble I used it quite a bit. Pretty accurate.
Still working after 20 years use. Drug store sells them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:37:11 +0000 (UTC), "Vinny P."
wrote:

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Omron seems to have good units. My wife uses one and my son (who is
in the medical equipment business) recommends them.

They are very accurate, but, you have to know a little about what
affects the readings to get consistent and accurate readings. Simple,
really, what you get after some activity is not the same as what you
get after relaxing for 15 minutes. Follow the instructions, take the
readings at about the same time and activity level.

You may want to experiment just to see the differences. Take a
reading, go split a half cord of wood and take another readings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Omron seems to have good units. My wife uses one and my son (who is
in the medical equipment business) recommends them.

They are very accurate, but, you have to know a little about what
affects the readings to get consistent and accurate readings. Simple,
really, what you get after some activity is not the same as what you
get after relaxing for 15 minutes. Follow the instructions, take the
readings at about the same time and activity level.

You may want to experiment just to see the differences. Take a
reading, go split a half cord of wood and take another readings.

Hard to split a half a cord of wood around Houston suburb. On the
other hand I have a picture of a cousin of mine in Ogdensburg, NY who
splits his own word at his retired age. Come to think of it with all
my wisdom or lack of, what is a cord of word in terms of quantity?
Obviously I'm a city boy unlike a lot of my cousins from upstate NY.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Omron seems to have good units. My wife uses one and my son (who is
in the medical equipment business) recommends them.

We have an Omron. It has a RTC and the ability to track two separate
users. The readings matche the DOCs mercury sphygmomanometer.

They are very accurate, but, you have to know a little about what
affects the readings to get consistent and accurate readings. Simple,
really, what you get after some activity is not the same as what you
get after relaxing for 15 minutes. Follow the instructions, take the
readings at about the same time and activity level.

You may want to experiment just to see the differences. Take a
reading, go split a half cord of wood and take another readings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Take your blood pressure? ;-)

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Sure. I used one of the cheapie wrist models for a couple of years. It read
a bit on the low side but worked well enough. FWIG, these don't work as well
on other people so an arm cuff is preferred. Last fall I bought a Panasonic
cuff like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EW31...itor+panasonic

It works well enough but is a bit more of a pain to use than the wrist model.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jul 28, 1:37*pm, "Vinny P." wrote:
My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

I asked the sales lady in a pharmacy dept which one had the least
complaints.
She said the Omron models.
I bought one, the arm model, and it works good. No complaints from
me.
It's as automatic as you can get, checks BP, pulse rate, and
arrhythmia at the push of 1 button.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:18:31 -0700 (PDT), Red wrote:

On Jul 28, 1:37*pm, "Vinny P." wrote:
My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

I asked the sales lady in a pharmacy dept which one had the least
complaints.
She said the Omron models.
I bought one, the arm model, and it works good. No complaints from
me.
It's as automatic as you can get, checks BP, pulse rate, and
arrhythmia at the push of 1 button.

One of the wrist models I had tested for arrhythmia and wouldn't read anything
if it couldn't get a regular heartbeat. You wouldn't think it unusual that
the cuff would fail if it couldn't get a consistent beat, unless the whole
reason you were using the damned thing was because of A-Fib. :-(

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 16:48:34 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

Hard to split a half a cord of wood around Houston suburb. On the
other hand I have a picture of a cousin of mine in Ogdensburg, NY who
splits his own word at his retired age. Come to think of it with all
my wisdom or lack of, what is a cord of word in terms of quantity?
Obviously I'm a city boy unlike a lot of my cousins from upstate NY.

A pile stacked 4' x 4' x 8'. I can burn about 5 cords if I heat my
house with mostly wood. As I got older, I found it easier to pay the
oil bill and turn the thermostat to the desired temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 20:45:59 -0400, "
wrote:

One of the wrist models I had tested for arrhythmia and wouldn't read anything
if it couldn't get a regular heartbeat. You wouldn't think it unusual that
the cuff would fail if it couldn't get a consistent beat, unless the whole
reason you were using the damned thing was because of A-Fib. :-(

We have both wrist and cuff. My wife had A-fib (now fixed) and both
would indicate if she was out of sync. Of course, the heart rate of
180 gave you a hint too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Take your blood pressure? ;-)

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Sure. I used one of the cheapie wrist models for a couple of years. It read
a bit on the low side but worked well enough. FWIG, these don't work as well
on other people so an arm cuff is preferred. Last fall I bought a Panasonic
cuff like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EW31...itor+panasonic

It works well enough but is a bit more of a pain to use than the wrist model.

My wrist model does not work on me.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jul 28, 1:37*pm, "Vinny P." wrote:
[...]

That's not limited to the home units. Same thing happened to me in
the dr's office with their high dollar automated machine. They had to
take it manually to get a reading. And mine is not a-fib, it's PVC's
- same symptoms but from the other side of the heart.
In this case PVC is Premature Ventricular Contraction, not Poly Vinyl
Chloride. (Thought I'd mention that to keep it from being totally off
subject for this newsgroup.) :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.
Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Hypertension (high blood pressure) is a condition that is very prevalent
among the population. It can cause all sorts of things that can kill you.
It is one of the least monitored medical things in society. We only seem to
have our blood pressure taken when we make that regular trip to the doctor
every three years.

Let me say that I speak from the experience of twenty years of cardiac
history. I had a 5 way bypass, and an aortic valve replacement. I've had
my BP checked by a medical person, and by myself at least one million times.

I have a little experience on this subject.

Get a GOOD automatic cuff, about $50, but more like $35 on sale. Amron is a
good brand, or any of the three most popular ones at your pharmacy.

High blood pressure can be treated with lots of things, some of them as
simple as an adjustment in diet, like cutting down on salt. After that, the
medications for blood pressure are cheap, and I mean generic $3 cheap.
Lisinopril is the most commonly prescribed medication in the world, and it
is for reducing blood pressure.

Having high blood pressure has very few symptoms, if any. Possibly a
headache occasionally, but after that, no symptoms that would make you want
to go to the doctor. And yet, untreated, it can cause a list as long as
your leg of major medical things, many of which can kill you. Kidney
problems, heart problems, you name it.

Go and buy a good cuff. Take your readings a couple of times a day. If you
are above the guidelines, go see your doctor, and you may be given some
simple cheap pills to take once or twice a day. Or, wait, and ignore it
all, and one day while you are shaving or brushing your teeth, your brain
could splatter all over the mirror in a spontaneous explosion. Well, not
that dramatic, but you could be lying on the bathroom floor in a state of
acute medical need, and have something cut loose inside you that was
absolutely 100% preventable. Maybe have a stroke, and that could really
affect your golf or mah jong.

Oh, sure. Call me a neurotic, a paranoid person.

At least I can tell you right now what my blood pressure is. Let me go
check. It is 135/77. That took 90 seconds, and tells me that my BP is in
the good range. Can you tell me in 90 seconds what yours is? Maybe you
will find out tomorrow AM when you are shaving. The point is that this is
one of the major medical things you can monitor yourself cheaply that can
save your life.

She's not nagging when she's right. Not knowing your own blood pressure is
taking an unnecessary chance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hard to split a half a cord of wood around Houston suburb. On the
other hand I have a picture of a cousin of mine in Ogdensburg, NY who
splits his own word at his retired age. Come to think of it with all
my wisdom or lack of, what is a cord of word in terms of quantity?
Obviously I'm a city boy unlike a lot of my cousins from upstate NY.

A pile stacked 4' x 4' x 8'. I can burn about 5 cords if I heat my
house with mostly wood. As I got older, I found it easier to pay the
oil bill and turn the thermostat to the desired temperature.

Thanks Ed. I'll ask my cousin what he does for winter. 5 cords is a
lot of wood to chop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Take your blood pressure? ;-)

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Sure. I used one of the cheapie wrist models for a couple of years. It read
a bit on the low side but worked well enough. FWIG, these don't work as well
on other people so an arm cuff is preferred. Last fall I bought a Panasonic
cuff like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EW31...itor+panasonic

It works well enough but is a bit more of a pain to use than the wrist model.

My wrist model does not work on me.

Mine ran about ten points low on me. That's alright, the doc's always runs at
least forty points high. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 21:44:44 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Keeping your reply for reference. Thanks Steve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One of the wrist models I had tested for arrhythmia and wouldn't read anything
if it couldn't get a regular heartbeat. You wouldn't think it unusual that
the cuff would fail if it couldn't get a consistent beat, unless the whole
reason you were using the damned thing was because of A-Fib. :-(

We have both wrist and cuff. My wife had A-fib (now fixed) and both
would indicate if she was out of sync. Of course, the heart rate of
180 gave you a hint too.

Did she have a cardioversion or did they go all the way to the ablaision?
The heart rate, if will count it, is a hint, yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 20:59:52 -0700 (PDT), Red wrote:

On Jul 28, 1:37*pm, "Vinny P." wrote:
[...]

The nurse (or NP, depending) always tries the automatic machine, then does it
manually. Then the doctor doesn't believe that and does it himself. No extra
charge. ;-)

And mine is not a-fib, it's PVC's
- same symptoms but from the other side of the heart.

The fixed mine, after being on rat poison for a few months.

In this case PVC is Premature Ventricular Contraction, not Poly Vinyl
Chloride. (Thought I'd mention that to keep it from being totally off
subject for this newsgroup.) :-)

What's the fix for that? Airplane glue? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 21:44:44 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.
Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

Hypertension (high blood pressure) is a condition that is very prevalent
among the population. It can cause all sorts of things that can kill you.
It is one of the least monitored medical things in society. We only seem to
have our blood pressure taken when we make that regular trip to the doctor
every three years.

Let me say that I speak from the experience of twenty years of cardiac
history. I had a 5 way bypass, and an aortic valve replacement. I've had
my BP checked by a medical person, and by myself at least one million times.

A million times? That's almost 100 times a day, every day, for 30 years.

I have a little experience on this subject.

Get a GOOD automatic cuff, about $50, but more like $35 on sale. Amron is a
good brand, or any of the three most popular ones at your pharmacy.

Omeron?

High blood pressure can be treated with lots of things, some of them as
simple as an adjustment in diet, like cutting down on salt. After that, the
medications for blood pressure are cheap, and I mean generic $3 cheap.
Lisinopril is the most commonly prescribed medication in the world, and it
is for reducing blood pressure.

Lisinopril is cheap but my shoulders aren't. After taking it for a few
months, I couldn't move them (took a while to isolate it to the Lisinopril).
Every one of these drugs can have serious side effects. Let the doctors
figure out which ones have the minimum side effects for you.

[...]

Just because she's right, doesn't mean she's not nagging. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 01:10:48 -0400, "
wrote:

Did she have a cardioversion or did they go all the way to the ablaision?
The heart rate, if will count it, is a hint, yes.

At least two cardioversions and two ablations in the past year. Doctor
did not have enough time to do all he wanted as the anesthesiologist
nixed more time.

First problem was on vacation in 2001. We were in VA and she felt a
bit tired for a couple of days. On the way home, she wanted to see a
doctor NOW. Followed the blue H sign off the highway and ended up
staying 6 days in a Maryland hospital.

Highest I ever saw here heart rate was 220 a couple of years ago.

She still takes a bunch of medications every day, including warfarin.
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vinny P." wrote in message
My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

As you get olderyour blood pressure tends to increase, especially if you are
a fat git and eat lots of hamburgers.
You arteries tend to block.
This leads to the danger of a stroke or a thrombosis.
In a stroke a blood vessel in the brain ruptures through over pressure.
You might die or be severely incapacitated if you survive.
So it's handy to monitor your blood pressure.

If high you will need drugs to combat the problem.
Most of these gadgets come with a booklet outlining what the test results
mean.
You must act if there is an abberation. VERY important. You might dies if
you don't.

In the UK everyone is monitored for free for lots of life threatening
conditions.
Only in the USA and other third world countries do you have such healthcare
problems if you are a serf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_pressure

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-29, Steve B wrote:

Having high blood pressure has very few symptoms, if any.

For someone with so much high BP experience, you sure seem clueless.
There is one very comman. blatantly obvious, almost universal symptom
of high BP. A bloody nose!

I was about 46, sitting in my cubicle, at my computer workstation,
with nary a care in the world. Suddenly, I was spouting blood all
down the front of my shirt/tie. What the...!!??. I hadn't had a
bloody nose in over 40 yrs. I wasn't sick. I was the picture of
health, or so I thought. After a cow orker helped me stop the
bleeding, my supervisor came over to see how I was doing. After
listening to my baffled explanation/apology, he suggested I see a
doctor, as I jes might be suffering from high blood pressure.

Well, these bloody noses plagued me fer another week till I finally
got to the clinic. Sure enough. 200/150! Again, what the...??
Every time I'd had my BP checked, previously, it was a steady 125/75.
So often and consistent, in fact, even I had become somewhat amazed.
Now, almost overnight, I'm about to explode!

Anyway, not only is it a very common sympton, I get it at the drop of
a hat. If I miss my meds fer even 2 days, bloody nose! I now care
for my senile mom, from whom I no doubt inherited HBP, as she has it
too. If she misses her meds even ONE day, bloody nose! So, it's not
only quite common, but seems most everyone --'cept you-- knows about
it. Now you know.

nb

--
"I didn't know I worked here.
I must've forgot my apron"
Support labelling GMO foods
http://www.nongmoproject.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vinny P." wrote in message

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

1. Recommended years ago by the family doctor, then trying
to find by trial and error the best dosage for hypertension drugs.
Later useful in private experiments seeking to reduce dosage.

2. The LifeSource UA 767 has a lifetime guarantee that works,
viz. when the connecting air hose failed the manufacturer
supplied a new one free.

3. The supplementary health insurer would not pay for the
BP cuff (est. $70.)

4. Current use: the cuff is kept in an office drawer and when
I use other things in that drawer I usually take a reading, say
25 times a year. Only if readings are outside norms do I
take regular readings: all recorded in a PC file, which may
be printed for the physician if required.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marina" wrote in message
b.com...
"Vinny P." wrote in
:

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff.
Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it.
I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing?
Any recommendations?

The arm cuff wouldn't work for me. I had to exchange it for the one for
the wrist. Even tho they say the wrist cuff is not as accurate. I took
it
to my Dr. appointment and it matched what the doc got.

When my wife was in the hosp last week to get a hip replacement, the
automatic BP machines would not work on her at all. They tried about 4 of
them before they decided to get a manual cuff. Then they could not even find
one. The nurse had to go to another floor to get one. Pretty sad that we
depend so much on computer stuff. Good thing it wasn't an emergency as it
too about 45 minutes to get her BP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-29, Steve B wrote:

Having high blood pressure has very few symptoms, if any.

For someone with so much high BP experience, you sure seem clueless.
There is one very comman. blatantly obvious, almost universal symptom
of high BP. A bloody nose!

That's not a good indicator either. I had bloody noses constantly when I was
a kid. No hypertension then and I grew out of it (having one artery in the
nose cauterized helped). For years I've only gotten bloody noses when I get a
severe cold. Nothing to do with hypertension.

I was about 46, sitting in my cubicle, at my computer workstation,
with nary a care in the world. Suddenly, I was spouting blood all
down the front of my shirt/tie. What the...!!??. I hadn't had a
bloody nose in over 40 yrs. I wasn't sick. I was the picture of
health, or so I thought. After a cow orker helped me stop the
bleeding, my supervisor came over to see how I was doing. After
listening to my baffled explanation/apology, he suggested I see a
doctor, as I jes might be suffering from high blood pressure.

Well, these bloody noses plagued me fer another week till I finally
got to the clinic. Sure enough. 200/150! Again, what the...??
Every time I'd had my BP checked, previously, it was a steady 125/75.
So often and consistent, in fact, even I had become somewhat amazed.
Now, almost overnight, I'm about to explode!

When I ended up in the urgent care facility it was 260/200. Next stop, the
emergency room and three days in the hospital. I didn't even feel the A-Fib
until they told me about it.

Anyway, not only is it a very common sympton, I get it at the drop of
a hat. If I miss my meds fer even 2 days, bloody nose! I now care
for my senile mom, from whom I no doubt inherited HBP, as she has it
too. If she misses her meds even ONE day, bloody nose! So, it's not
only quite common, but seems most everyone --'cept you-- knows about
it. Now you know.

It my be common but, by itself, it's not a good negative indicator of HT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Did she have a cardioversion or did they go all the way to the ablaision?
The heart rate, if will count it, is a hint, yes.

At least two cardioversions and two ablations in the past year. Doctor
did not have enough time to do all he wanted as the anesthesiologist
nixed more time.

First problem was on vacation in 2001. We were in VA and she felt a
bit tired for a couple of days. On the way home, she wanted to see a
doctor NOW. Followed the blue H sign off the highway and ended up
staying 6 days in a Maryland hospital.

Highest I ever saw here heart rate was 220 a couple of years ago.

She still takes a bunch of medications every day, including warfarin.

That she's still on Warfarin indicates, with all that, they didn't fix it? One
cardioversion was enough to fix mine. In five and a half years, mine hasn't
come back for more than thirty minutes, or so. After the cardioversion, they
just put me on Metoprolol and I've been on a couple of BP medications
intermittently since (Amlodipine, now). If I skip the Metoprolol I can really
feel it, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jul 29, 12:15*am, "
wrote:

And mine is not a-fib, it's PVC's
- same symptoms but from the other side of the heart.

The fixed mine, after being on rat poison for a few months.

In this case PVC is Premature Ventricular Contraction, not Poly Vinyl
Chloride. *(Thought I'd mention that to keep it from being totally off
subject for this newsgroup.) :-)

What's the fix for that? *Airplane glue? *;-)

Don't know, they haven't fixed it yet. Metoprolol worked for a while,
then Bystolic, then pranprolol, now acebutolol, which is giving up
also. Heart rate varies from 30 (missed beats) to 120 (extra beats).
They say it won't kill me, but it sure feels like it sometimes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:10:34 -0700 (PDT), Red wrote:

On Jul 29, 12:15*am, "
wrote:

And mine is not a-fib, it's PVC's
- same symptoms but from the other side of the heart.

The fixed mine, after being on rat poison for a few months.

In this case PVC is Premature Ventricular Contraction, not Poly Vinyl
Chloride. *(Thought I'd mention that to keep it from being totally off
subject for this newsgroup.) :-)

What's the fix for that? *Airplane glue? *;-)

Don't know, they haven't fixed it yet. Metoprolol worked for a while,
then Bystolic, then pranprolol, now acebutolol, which is giving up
also. Heart rate varies from 30 (missed beats) to 120 (extra beats).
They say it won't kill me, but it sure feels like it sometimes.

Ouch. I know when I was in A-Fib I wasn't feeling like doing much (which
worked out well because climbing ladders[*] while on Warfarin isn't
recommended).
[*] I'd just "retired" and was painting the inside of my house and finishing
up all of the "projects", getting ready get out of New England. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bloody nose can also be from calcium shortage.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 12:15:17 -0400, "
wrote:

That she's still on Warfarin indicates, with all that, they didn't fix it? One
cardioversion was enough to fix mine. In five and a half years, mine hasn't
come back for more than thirty minutes, or so. After the cardioversion, they
just put me on Metoprolol and I've been on a couple of BP medications
intermittently since (Amlodipine, now). If I skip the Metoprolol I can really
feel it, though.

She also has a blood condition
Lupus Anticoagulant Anti Cardiolipin Antibodies

When we first married, she had five miscarriages and they never found
a reason. Thirty five years later, they found out why. The condition
was not known at the time and no tests for it. Because of this, they
keep her PT in a very narrow range of 2.5 to 3.0. She also has to be
tested by blood draw rather than a home machine as the machine cannot
perform accurately with her blood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2012 3:53 PM, notbob wrote:
On 2012-07-28, Vinny P. wrote:

[...]

The most accurate pressure reading was with the now verbotten mercury
column type of display. However, accurate BP measurement depends both
on the meter reading the pressure and on the correct detection of the
point where the pulse sounds are first able to be heard and when the
first disappear. The digital ones may be more accurate than the aneroid
because the springs in the aneroid type can go out of adjustment more
easily. If you use a machine that requires using a stethoscope, at the
age at which most of us need to monitor our BP, our hearing is not as
sharp as it used to be. Unless you've got close to normal hearing, and
are in a quiet room, you're likely to miss the transition points when
you first hear the pulse and the transition point where the sound of the
pulse first disappears. You might also misposition the stethoscope. For
home use, a self-inflating automated cuff with digital measurement is
more likely to provide an accurate reading.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-29, Peter wrote:

pulse first disappears. You might also misposition the stethoscope.

I might also stick a shotgun up my ass and blow my brains out, but I
don't.

The problem I see with automated units is they deflate at a set rate.
A manual unit, that rate of deflation can be controlled. So, if the
auto unit deflates and the sound/bounce of the heartbeat occurs after
or before the true pressure --old springs, battery, whatever-- the
true reading is wrong. I can slow a manual unit's deflation down to a
speed where the heartbeat point is more easily dectected and a more
accurate pressure is read.

Jes my take on it. You do as you like. I get my new manual unit on
Wed. I already tossed the Amron.

nb

--
"I didn't know I worked here.
I must've forgot my apron"
Support labelling GMO foods
http://www.nongmoproject.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:56:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Bloody nose can also be from calcium shortage.

It can also be from thin arteries or arteries very close to the surface in the
nose[*]. When I was younger, a little head cold would do it for me. It's
really only been ten years, or so, that I haven't gotten fairly regular nose
bleeds.
[*] or perhaps even a (too) close encounter with a fist. ;-) I used to turn
other kid's shirts red.