Old June 7th 18, 05:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

replying to trader_4, sam F wrote:
receptacles are UL listed with the ground 'up', that is the proper way to
install one...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1110235-.htm

Old June 7th 18, 05:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 04:14:12 GMT, sam F
m wrote:

replying to trader_4, sam F wrote:
receptacles are UL listed with the ground 'up', that is the proper way to
install one...

Bull****. The code and U/L are both silent about how you orient a
receptacle.
Old June 7th 18, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to trader_4, sam F wrote:
receptacles are UL listed with the ground 'up', that is the proper way to
install one...

Bull****. The code and U/L are both silent about how you orient a
receptacle.

When I worked as an electrician on Army Core Of Engineers jobs, the Core wanted the ground hole on receptacles oriented where it was at the top. On horizontal receptacles, they wanted the neutral at the top. One thing they were worried about was ceiling tie wires falling against a plug that was pulled out a bit exposing the prongs. There must have been more than one instance of a tie wire causing fireworks when it fell against a plug that was hanging out. My personal preference is ground hole up because it's easier for me to insert a plug because I use the ground pin as a guide. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Zapped Monster
Old June 7th 18, 09:37 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

Default TOM R, DUMBASS AT LARGE, AXES ABOUT "Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?"

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 10:53:57 -0700, "fake vet Scatboi Colon La Edmund
J. Burke" wrote:

On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my house were "upside down".* They are positioned with the ground pin hole at the top and the two slots of the outlet on the bottom.* I agree that, to me, they "look" like they are upside down, and I think they would "look" better with the ground pin hole on the bottom.* But, my belief is that the National Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question and that there is no right or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down" and that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the bottom to pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down" and the other way is the "correct" orientation?

Yer friend's code enforcement officials are probably a bunch of banana-munchin' porch monkeys with not even the least idea of proper code.
If ya had any sense, you'd know the ground pin always goes on the top. This is a safety precaution. Say someone were to drop a metal item onto the pins carrying the load. You'd have an instant fire which even the most modern fire department could probably not extinguish.

I hope that clears up any further ignorance on your part...

What a load of ****e. I hope nobody listens to yer dumb 'advice', ya
stupid moulie!

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews

Old June 7th 18, 11:01 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

Default Everyone KEEPS having Endless Fun Beating the **** out of Poor Helpless Gay Goran Razovic! LOL

On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 13:37:33 -0700, serbian bitch Razovic, the resident
Shein's jew aliash)", farted again:

Yer friend's code enforcement officials are probably a bunch of
banana-munchin' porch monkeys with not even the least idea of proper
code. If ya had any sense, you'd know the ground pin always goes on the
top. This is a safety precaution. Say someone were to drop a metal
item onto the pins carrying the load. You'd have an instant fire which
even the most modern fire department could probably not extinguish.

I hope that clears up any further ignorance on your part...

What a load of ****e. I hope nobody listens to yer dumb 'advice', ya
stupid moulie!

Actually it's a valid and generally accepted explanation, though there are
no hard rules, you illiterate dreckserb!

--
serb bitch Razovic, the ridiculous "Brit" and "WASP" wannabe, correcting
British posters' CORRECT English over at uk.rec.cars.maintenance:
Old June 8th 18, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

The point is the U/L and NFPA (the NEC) are both silent on this
When in doubt, install one of these and make everyone happy
https://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/...3_wu_fo5oy.JPG
Old June 8th 18, 01:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

That'll work. I think I actually have one of those around somewhere. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Outlet Monster