Old September 29th 16, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 09/29/2016 08:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

When plugging a "permanent" item (lamp, clock radio, toaster oven, etc.)
into a duplex receptacle, please use the bottom receptacle to keep the
top receptacle open for temporary use.

That's something I do. Sometimes, I've even changed it in public places.

Unlike a lot of people, my idea of "looks best" depends on practical
things, not silly rules. If you plug something into the top outlet (of a
vertically mounted) duplex receptacle, the cord hangs down across the
bottom outlet making it harder to use.

I'm not sure if I EVER thought it looked best to use the top.

--
87 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

On the sixth day God created man On the seventh day, man returned the
favor.

Old September 29th 16, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2016 10:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

In addition, if they are all mounted "ground up" that risque cartoon would
be obsolete.

People who like that kind of thing will always find something.

OT:
Apparently, green is now a Halloween color. If you want to put out green
lights, you can use Christmas ones.

Old September 29th 16, 07:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2016 11:49 AM, TimR wrote:

[snip]

European outlets don't have that problem. The pins are insulated halfway such that the tips don't make contact until they're completely inside. Ground is top AND bottom IIRC, and pins side
by side.

I think the real issue, not yet mentioned, is that a child can plug in a cord with his/her fingers on the blade. That is FAR more likely than dropping a paperclip on it.

Once, I was plugging radio into a receptacle in an old building. The
receptacle was damaged in such a way that the only way a plug would go
is was it you squeezed he prongs together while inserting the plug. I
could have used insulated fingers :-)

Old September 29th 16, 08:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 2:48:41 PM UTC-4, notX wrote:
On 09/29/2016 10:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

In addition, if they are all mounted "ground up" that risque cartoon would
be obsolete.

People who like that kind of thing will always find something.

OT:
Apparently, green is now a Halloween color. If you want to put out green
lights, you can use Christmas ones.

I'm pretty sure that Jesus would frown upon using Christmas lights
on Halloween. Just sayin'

(I decorate for Christmas because I decorate for Halloween. Better
safe than sorry.)
Old September 29th 16, 08:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
TomR typed:
A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my
house were "upside down". They are positioned with the ground pin
hole at the top and the two slots of the outlet on the bottom. I
agree that, to me, they "look" like they are upside down, and I think
they would "look" better with the ground pin hole on the bottom. But, my
belief is that the National Electrical Code (NEC) is silent
on this question and that there is no right or wrong orientation for
electrical outlets.
My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him
that electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside
down" and that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin
on the bottom to pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down"
and the other way is the "correct" orientation?

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like the answer is that there is no
national code (in the U.S.A.) that requires outlets to be oriented in any
special direction.

One thing that I also noticed in recent years is that there does not seem to
be any one standard way that the 3 prongs on 3-prong plugs are oriented --
including the flush mount type plugs that allow the wire to be parallel to
the wall with the plug plugged in. With those types of plugs, I would like
to be able to orient the outlet so that the plug wire can come up from the
floor or down from the appliance (such as a window A/C) and plug in
correctly. I am probably not describing or explaining this too well.

And, I sometimes thought it would be interesting if all outlets were
designed so that there would be not "up" or "down" position. For example,
if all duplex outlets had the ground pin of each outlet on each end and the
other two prongs in the center, then there would be no "up" or "down"
orientation -- the outlet would look the same regardless of which way it was
installed. But, there would be problems with that idea because that would
result it the hot side screw of one outlet being on the same side as the
neutral side screw of the other outlet in the duplex.

Old September 29th 16, 08:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Mark Lloyd
wrote:

I don't either. That doesn't mean it can't happen. Here, I think it more
likely to be a small wire (twister) than a paper clip.

When I was about 5 years old, there was no ground pin on the outlets.
(Neutral was the wide slot, Hot the narrow slot.)

Milk was delivered to the house. A quart milk bottle had a paper cover
held on by a wire.

I knew that there was "electricity" in the outlet, and wire was an
electric conductor. One morning after the milkman came, I decided to
try an experiment. Fortunately I only burned my fingers.

Unfortunately I did not learn my lesson completely. I've been shocked
numerous times since then. Recently I came to appreciate GFCI outlets!

Fred
Old September 29th 16, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 3:07:16 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
[...]

There is no up or down position now.

Old September 29th 16, 08:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 15:07:13 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

And, I sometimes thought it would be interesting if all outlets were
designed so that there would be not "up" or "down" position. For example,
if all duplex outlets had the ground pin of each outlet on each end and the
other two prongs in the center, then there would be no "up" or "down"
orientation -- the outlet would look the same regardless of which way it was
installed. But, there would be problems with that idea because that would
result it the hot side screw of one outlet being on the same side as the
neutral side screw of the other outlet in the duplex.

Like this

http://www.legrand.us/~/media/produc...=0&h=181&w=181

Old September 29th 16, 09:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 was thinking very hard :
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 2:48:41 PM UTC-4, notX wrote:
On 09/29/2016 10:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

In addition, if they are all mounted "ground up" that risque cartoon would
be obsolete.

People who like that kind of thing will always find something.

OT:
Apparently, green is now a Halloween color. If you want to put out green
lights, you can use Christmas ones.

I'm pretty sure that Jesus would frown upon using Christmas lights
on Halloween. Just sayin'

(I decorate for Christmas because I decorate for Halloween. Better
safe than sorry.)

Is ham dinner still okay?