Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 7:02:25 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:57:58 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

This was discussed recently. Some inspectors want the pin up. The
reason is that in an office a paper clip fell and hit the prongs of a
plug that was not pushed in fully. Pin up would not let it short.
IIRC, national code does not mention it.

I've seen a short-circuit twice from metal getting behind the plug. One *was* caused by it being "prong up", a hospital bed was *raised* and came between the wall and 2 prongs. The other was a pull chain that was too long and hitting the hot wire. In the 2nd case up or down would have made no difference.
I can see why there is no code.

....if I wasn't clear on this, "prong up" meant "ground prong up".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Derby Day wrote:

I haven't. My hedge trimmer doesn't have it's own cord, just a plug built
into a recessed area of the handle. The socket end of an extension cord
connects directly to that plug and is held in by a molded hook.

Now ask me about cutting the *extension cord* with my hedge trimmer

I have the same type of trimmer, and several various length extension cords to use depending on how far from the house I have to go. I just checked, at least one of my 5 extension cords does not have a band of tape where I nicked/cut it. Of course, that is over 40+ years of use so I guess it is not too bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 12:13:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Derby Day wrote:

I haven't. My hedge trimmer doesn't have it's own cord, just a plug built
into a recessed area of the handle. The socket end of an extension cord
connects directly to that plug and is held in by a molded hook.

Now ask me about cutting the *extension cord* with my hedge trimmer

I have the same type of trimmer, and several various length extension cords to use depending on how far from the house I have to go. I just checked, at least one of my 5 extension cords does not have a band of tape where I nicked/cut it. Of course, that is over 40+ years of use so I guess it is not too bad.

Several of my extension cords are not as long as when I bought them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Derby Day wrote:

I haven't. My hedge trimmer doesn't have it's own cord, just a plug built
into a recessed area of the handle. The socket end of an extension cord
connects directly to that plug and is held in by a molded hook.

Now ask me about cutting the *extension cord* with my hedge trimmer

I have the same type of trimmer, and several various length extension cords to use depending on how far from the house I have to go. I just checked, at least one of my 5 extension cords does not have a band of tape where I nicked/cut it. Of course, that is over 40+ years of use so I guess it is not too bad.

Several of my extension cords are not as long as when I bought them.

Many years ago my (then) teenage son got hired by a well-to-do family
friend to help him clean out his garage. When I went to pick him I saw
a 50' 12g extension cord - on a reel - on top of the trash pile. It
looked almost brand new, so I grabbed it and tossed it in the car.

When I got home I found that the cord had been cut about 6' from one
end. It was held together just by a piece of the outer jacket.

I bought a plug and socket and turned it into a 6' cord and a 44' cord.
It's 15 years later and I still use both of them. I remember explaining
to my son what happens when you have more money than you know what to
do with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 12:19:06 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Several of my extension cords are not as long as when I bought them.

If you add up the length of the pieces does it come up the same as the
new length?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2016 9:27 AM, TimR wrote:

It was silent for a second then someone from a far corner of the build site
called out "He cut the cord." The echo chant now changed from "Don't cut the
cord!" to "He cut the cord.", "He cut the cord.". The timing was perfect and
we ending up laughing so hard it hurt.

Cousin I-Cut-The-Cord Monster

Is there anyone here who has NOT cut the cord of his hedge trimmer?

Define cut. Clear through? Nope, never did that. Lets not get into
details such as cutting through the insulation and other meaningless
trivial facts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski

8:26 PM (1 hour ago)

On 10/3/2016 9:27 AM, TimR wrote:

It was silent for a second then someone from a far corner of the build site
called out "He cut the cord." The echo chant now changed from "Don't cut the
cord!" to "He cut the cord.", "He cut the cord.". The timing was perfect and
we ending up laughing so hard it hurt.

Cousin I-Cut-The-Cord Monster

Is there anyone here who has NOT cut the cord of his hedge trimmer?

Define cut. Clear through? Nope, never did that. Lets not get into
details such as cutting through the insulation and other meaningless
trivial facts.

You don't have to cut clean thru to have a problem, just severing one of the two/three conductors will stop things pretty effectively. I have been known to repair that type of failure by inserting a bare copper wire a couple of inches long into the two cut ends to reestablish conductivity for that conductor, and then taping over the whole thing. That works fine as long as the insulation over the unsevered conductor(s) is/are intact, and the cord is not flexed too much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:43:15 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

That's something I do. Sometimes, I've even changed it in public places.

Unlike a lot of people, my idea of "looks best" depends on practical
things, not silly rules. If you plug something into the top outlet (of a
vertically mounted) duplex receptacle, the cord hangs down across the
bottom outlet making it harder to use.

I'm not sure if I EVER thought it looked best to use the top.

Just wrap electrical tape around the hot terminal on all plugs!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 9:18:14 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my house were
"upside down". They are positioned with the ground pin hole at the top and
the two slots of the outlet on the bottom. I agree that, to me, they "look"
like they are upside down, and I think they would "look" better with the
ground pin hole on the bottom. But, my belief is that the National
Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question and that there is no right
or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that
electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down" and
that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the bottom to
pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down" and the
other way is the "correct" orientation?

homes in florida often have outlets in the same home orientated both ways

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched outlets
Posted to alt.home.repair

homes in florida often have outlets in the same home orientated both ways

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched

That's interesting, but I never heard of it 60+ years ago when I worked for an electrician during high school and college in Florida. (Of course, back then most wiring outlets were just hot and neutral. 3-prong outlets were for industrial use.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
bob haller typed:
[...]

I wonder why that would be the criteria for ground pin up vs. down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 10:28:37 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
bob haller typed:
[...]

It is just done as a way to identify switched outlets. On a "half hot"
the bottom one is switched.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
bob haller wrote:

[...]

I have two switched outlets. One has ground pin down with the switch on
top. Left is off, right is on.

The other is horizontal. The switch is on the left, outlet on the right
so ground pin is to the right. Down is off, up is on.

The outlet for my washing machine was installed when my house was
renovated 15 years ago. The ground pin was up, but the power cord
plugged in "upside down". I eventually got tired of looking at the cord
folding over and rotated the outlet.

All of the other outlets were installed with the ground pin down. This
includes the separately switched garbage disposal outlet under the sink.

Fred
in Florida
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller:

Understand the reasoning behind it, but I think
it would make sense the other way round:

Always on: Ground pin up
Switched: pin down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04 Oct 2016, bob haller wrote in
alt.home.repair:

homes in florida often have outlets in the same home orientated
both ways

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched outlets

That's the first good reason I've heard here for doing it one way over
the other. I'm tempted to turn some of the outlets in my house around
like that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 15:18:40 -0400, Nil
wrote:

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched outlets

That's the first good reason I've heard here for doing it one way over
the other. I'm tempted to turn some of the outlets in my house around
like that!

Its been stated here many times, people keep wanting a citation to a
code or to debate an inspector.

My cave my rules
Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Oren formulated :
wrote:

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched outlets

That's the first good reason I've heard here for doing it one way over
the other. I'm tempted to turn some of the outlets in my house around
like that!

Its been stated here many times, people keep wanting a citation to a
code or to debate an inspector.

My cave my rules

And if they want to come turn them upside down again by force, let 'em
try - I still have a gun to defend my castle.

Seems a lot like the old Lilliputian big endian little endian conflict.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/05/2016 03:27 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

[snip]

To me, the whole ground on top thing smacks of safety theater. Exposed
prongs are a safety hazard no matter what the plug's orientation.
Putting the ground on top just makes is slightly harder to insert a plug
into the outlet.

Why would it be harder? Either way, you have to orient the plug in a
certain way.

I suspect it's just the "the way it is is best" fallacy.

--
80 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The cosmos is interesting rather than perfect, and everything is not
part of some greater plan, nor is all necessarily under control."
[Starhawk]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In news typed:
[...]

. . . . . On a "half hot"
the bottom one is switched.

Interesting. Good to know. I like to do the "half hot" switched outlet
routine once in a while, so it's good to know that the bottom one is
typically the switch-controlled half.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jes Doit, gdmellott wrote:
There is ah... not a mouse in my wall.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1110235-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gfretwell, gdmellott wrote:
Let's face it. There are parasitic loads ( both psychologically and
substantively evidenced) what ever ways its oriented.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1110235-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hrhofmann, im2oldBob wrote:
In a textbook, Electric Wiring Residential 15th edition based on 2005 National
Electrical Code by Ray C Mullen. ISBN1-4018-5019-. Mr. Mullen addresses the
subject. Mr. Mullen' advocates, that while not a code requirement that the
ground ( U blade) should be up for the reason that conductive items falling
would encounter the ground first, or at least fall across either one of the
conductors and the U blade if the conductor was positive then a shunt trip
would occur. Note; this is not an exact quote.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1110235-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 22:14:01 GMT, im2oldBob
m wrote:

replying to hrhofmann, im2oldBob wrote:
In a textbook, Electric Wiring Residential 15th edition based on 2005 National
Electrical Code by Ray C Mullen. ISBN1-4018-5019-. Mr. Mullen addresses the
subject. Mr. Mullen' advocates, that while not a code requirement that the
ground ( U blade) should be up for the reason that conductive items falling
would encounter the ground first, or at least fall across either one of the
conductors and the U blade if the conductor was positive then a shunt trip
would occur. Note; this is not an exact quote.

The only "book" that counts is the National Electrical Code and it is
silent on the issue.
If you look long enough you will find people arguing the opposite
case. When a plug loosens and starts falling out, ground down assures
the ground connection is the last to break.
Neither are a significant enough reason to drive a code change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

[...]

This has been an item of discussion and dissagreement for several
years. Traditionally american style 2 terminal (grounded) outlets have
been installed ground down.
There is also something of a tradition of "switched" outlets being
installed ground side up.

The ground down tradition has pretty well mandated that right angle
plugs have the terminals oriented so that the cable, when plugged into
the oputlet, runs DOWN the wall so gravity aids inkeeping the plug
installed rather than trying to pull it out, as it cones off the top
of the plug..

Non grounded polarized plugs are also trtaditionally installed with
the large (neutral) blade on the left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_12712@example. com wrote:

[...]

Just install one of these and be done with it.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6C567_AS01?$mdmain$

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's the ticket. Use this as your universal response for this never
ending question.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

The first one I ever saw was from Jim Pawley (VP SqD) at an inspector
seminar. It always gets a laugh and points out the silliness of the
debate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Clare Snyder, Barman wrote:
I had a case where the inspector insisted I rotate all the outlets so that
ground was down, my argument was if I had the outlets mounted horizontally
(eg. kitchen backsplash) what direction would he want the ground.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1110235-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 18:44:04 GMT, Barman
m wrote:

replying to Clare Snyder, Barman wrote:
I had a case where the inspector insisted I rotate all the outlets so that
ground was down, my argument was if I had the outlets mounted horizontally
(eg. kitchen backsplash) what direction would he want the ground.

If the inspector is that anal he'll want the ground to the left
(neutral up)