Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 1/9/2019 11:31 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 10:05:03 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/9/2019 9:04 AM, Bubba wrote:
On 1/8/2019 10:40 PM,
wrote:
TomR:

If you look closely at the front of a bare(uninstalled)
receptacle, you'll see tiny writing on many that is
legible only when the receptacle is held so that
the ground is on top.Â* There's a major clue for all
the "looks silly with ground on top" crowd!Â*

Â*Â* My refrigerator has a 90 degree angled plug.Â* To minimize stress on
the cable, the wall receptacle needs to be installed with the ground pin
down.

Yet my 20 year old Fedders air conditioner should have pin up.

No A/C plugs are made to assume the unit is mounted higher than the
receptacle so the cord is oriented up.

Yet every window in the house is higher than every recepacle in the house.