Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote "I have previously covered this priorly.
The ground pin is placed in the superior position for safety reasons, mostly to prevent metal-to-metal
contact with the load pin. Such a contact could result in a two-dimensional array of charge-isolated
implosions that likely result in total wire failure (or TMF as we certified electricians call it).

Thank you! We agree at least on that.

The only reason 99.5% of grounded receptacles in USA are
installed with ground pin down is because they kind of look
like a FACE - :- Install them ground side up, and to most
Yankees they look "weird". Many Americans have predilections and
stereotypes of what looks or is weird to them.