Old September 29th 16, 10:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 16:31:30 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
typed:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 15:07:13 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

And, I sometimes thought it would be interesting if all outlets were
designed so that there would be not "up" or "down" position. For
example, if all duplex outlets had the ground pin of each outlet on
each end and the other two prongs in the center, then there would be
no "up" or "down" orientation -- the outlet would look the same
regardless of which way it was installed. But, there would be
problems with that idea because that would result it the hot side
screw of one outlet being on the same side as the neutral side screw
of the other outlet in the duplex.

Like this

http://www.legrand.us/~/media/produc...=0&h=181&w=181

Wow, interesting! Yes, like that! -- except maybe a duplex receptacle
instead of a "quad".

I found this info on the one you posted:

SPECIFICATION GRADE QUAD RECEPTACLE, 415W , Pass & Seymour

http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour...uads/415w.aspx

I have also seen a duplex with them going up and down (ground on both
ends)
There is a quad out there with them in all 4 orientations too.
Old September 30th 16, 02:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
typed:

wrote:

[...]

I have never seen one, but I would like to find one so I could check it out
and see how they are constructed etc.
There is a quad out there with them in all 4 orientations too.

Old September 30th 16, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2016 06:25 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

[snip]

And every *consumer* right-angle or wall-hugging plug I've ever seen was
designed for the ground pin on the bottom.

I have several of those adapters (converts duplex grounded outlet to 6),
with the outlets on the sides. There seems to be nothing about them that
would be better with one orientation (ground down or ground up) than the
other.

--
86 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so
few engage in it." -- Henry Ford
Old September 30th 16, 08:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

TomR posted for all of us...

A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my house were
"upside down". They are positioned with the ground pin hole at the top and
the two slots of the outlet on the bottom. I agree that, to me, they "look"
like they are upside down, and I think they would "look" better with the
ground pin hole on the bottom. But, my belief is that the National
Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question and that there is no right
or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that
electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down" and
that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the bottom to
pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down" and the
other way is the "correct" orientation?

Let us NOT go through this again, especially as this was brought up just
last week. DAGS

--
Tekkie
Old September 30th 16, 08:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/30/2016 03:14 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Yah, so much drama. After the inspection, switch them to any position you like.

I guarantee it's faster to reorient the receptacles than to fight a bunch of brainless bureaucrats at city hall.

Old September 30th 16, 10:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 09:17:18 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

In article , says...

On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
[...]

This is a question I tackled, successfully, years ago, here at Sunset
Chateau.
The neutral pin on the top is a safety precaution all us expert
electrical types know about and perform on a routine basis. The
purpose of such arrangement is to prevent a short should, for example,
someone drop a metal object on partially exposed pins.

May the Eye of Horus be which you.

You're partially correct. The ground pin is not known as a neutral pin.
The flat blade that's currently made wider than the other flat blade is
the neutral. While both of them are grounded, the neutral is intended
to carry current, and the ground only carries current in the event of a
fault. It is safer to have the ground on top for the reason you
mentioned, but I know of nothing in the NEC that dictates which way you
mount them, unless it's a recent change.

This was one of my main complaints with electrical inspectors, back when
I had to deal with them. Sometimes they make **** up and claim it's a
code violation, when it isn't. We had an old saying: "Those who can,
do. Those who can't, inspect".

Expect Fakey along any hour now to embarrass himself by proving his
fathomless ignorance of all things electrical engineering. Again.

--
Friendly Neighborhood Vote Wrangler Nadegda

Fakey couldn't teach a monkey to eat a banana, much less answer a direct
question posed to him. -- Fakey's Dogwhistle Holder
Old October 1st 16, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
[...]

The FVNWe needs to come along and straighten out Checkmate's
display of electrical ignorance.

Poor Checkmate claims the neutral pin/wire carries the current.

Duh, doesn't he know there needs to be a circuit before any
current may be carried. Thus it needs the neutral and the
hot to carry the current. It doesn't need the ground. This
is why one can snip off the ground pin on a power tool so
it can be plugged into a two-slot outlet.

HTH

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man