Old April 16th 07, 05:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical outlets

A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical
outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector
in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never
seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.

Thanks

WDG

Old April 16th 07, 06:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical
outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector
in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never
seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.
WDG

Standard, as far as I know, is with the ground on the bottom.

Old April 16th 07, 07:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 9:48 pm, wrote:
A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical
outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector
in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never
seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.

Thanks

WDG

It's personal preference, there is no code that addresses the
orientation. The vast majority that I have seen have the ground
receptacle on the bottom.

Old April 16th 07, 10:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 9:13 am, "Eric9822" wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:48 pm, wrote:

A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical
outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector
in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never
seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.

Thanks

WDG

It's personal preference, there is no code that addresses the
orientation. The vast majority that I have seen have the ground
receptacle on the bottom.

And recently, following this same discussion here on several
occasions, the general conclusion of which, if I recall correctly, was
that ground pin at top was probably the safest against anything
metallic falling across the live and neutral pins etc.; it appears to
me that many (most?) of the el cheapo plug-in wall warts/adapters/
timers etc. seem to be made for ground pin on the bottom! Almost all
outlets in my house are the other way up. Most of the time it doesn't
matter anyway, but ............ occasionally it's nuisance to set a
timer and then plug it in upside down!
those previous discussion also, again IIRC, identified that since the
ground pin is longer and stouter having it at the top 'might' decrease
the likelihood of sagging and dragging out the 'working' pins; more so
than if those pins are at top. In other words sagging would push the
working pins 'in' rather than pull them out.

Old April 16th 07, 11:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
|A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical
| outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector
| in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never
| seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.
|
| Thanks
|
| WDG

your friend is correct
ground up on outlets.
thats how we have been doing it since 1998
someday the whole country will be this way.

some inspectors care too much about this
and others don't care enough.

Old April 16th 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical
outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector
in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never
seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.

As you observed, nearly all are ground down.
Some say that is wrong because things falling down will hit the hot/neutral
rather than just the neutral.
There is some sense to that, but ground up looks wrong to most people since
it is not common.
Neither is "proper". Probably best to do whatever the rest of your outlets
are.

Old April 16th 07, 03:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical
outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector
in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never
seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.

As you observed, nearly all are ground down.
Some say that is wrong because things falling down will hit the hot/neutral
rather than just the neutral.
There is some sense to that, but ground up looks wrong to most people since
it is not common.
Neither is "proper". Probably best to do whatever the rest of your outlets
are.

I like to make smiley faces of them.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old April 16th 07, 06:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 12:57 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 06:50:03 -0400, "3G" wrote:
your friend is correct
ground up on outlets.
thats how we have been doing it since 1998
someday the whole country will be this way.

some inspectors care too much about this
and others don't care enough.

Inspectors are not allowed to "care" about this. It is not addressed
in the code in any way. Typically the electricians will identify
"switched" receptacles by installing them opposite of the rest.

I've experienced counter-example, Greg. Fire Marshall of town
where our facility was located mandated that all outlets be ground-
lug-up. And it was made so. Arguing would be a pi$$ing contest.

Also, he refused to allow any plug-in electrical heaters, likely
saving a few incidents. He'd catch 'em, we'd smash 'em.

Reasonable guy, but not wishy-washy