Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Shoulder belt doesn't retract

I have a Toyota front shoulder belt that won't come out any farther
and makes no effort to retract. Even with tugging, of course.

What are the odds that something's stuck or that something repairable
is broken and I can fix it, versus that it's shot?

If it's shot, it seems I'd be more likely to get one that fits just
right and whose color matches just right if I guy one from a junkyard,
similar car, than a new aftermarket one. What do you think?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2016 6:01 PM, Micky wrote:
I have a Toyota front shoulder belt that won't come out any farther
and makes no effort to retract. Even with tugging, of course.

What are the odds that something's stuck or that something repairable
is broken and I can fix it, versus that it's shot?

If it's shot, it seems I'd be more likely to get one that fits just
right and whose color matches just right if I guy one from a junkyard,
similar car, than a new aftermarket one. What do you think?

Have you checked whether the belt is just folded over inside the retractor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 19:54:14 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 7/21/2016 6:01 PM, Micky wrote:
I have a Toyota front shoulder belt that won't come out any farther
and makes no effort to retract. Even with tugging, of course.

What are the odds that something's stuck or that something repairable
is broken and I can fix it, versus that it's shot?

If it's shot, it seems I'd be more likely to get one that fits just
right and whose color matches just right if I guy one from a junkyard,
similar car, than a new aftermarket one. What do you think?

Have you checked whether the belt is just folded over inside the retractor?

Yes, not that I can see. And I think the belt is entirely out. It
won't budge when I pull and it certainly is long enough. Long enough
that it's like there's no belt at all.

It's going to be 95 today in Baltimore and 97, 95, 99, 93, 96 and 94
in the days to follow, though I could have started at 6AM when it's
77. But by 10 it's 87.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 8:01:32 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
I have a Toyota front shoulder belt...

If this is the driver's belt...can you use the passenger-side belt for the time-being to make it legal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

you do know that there is a little weight inside the retractor,
that causes the belt to lock when the car accelerates or decelerates.

That weight may be stuck.

Open the retractor and take a look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2016 12:33 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 8:01:32 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
I have a Toyota front shoulder belt...

If this is the driver's belt...can you use the passenger-side belt for the time-being to make it legal?

Sure, but he'll have a hard time reaching the pedals from that side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky posted for all of us...

I have a Toyota front shoulder belt that won't come out any farther
and makes no effort to retract. Even with tugging, of course.

What are the odds that something's stuck or that something repairable
is broken and I can fix it, versus that it's shot?

If it's shot, it seems I'd be more likely to get one that fits just
right and whose color matches just right if I guy one from a junkyard,
similar car, than a new aftermarket one. What do you think?

Go to the Toyota dealer and they can remove the trim and trigger the latch,
most likely in the reception area-that's what they did for me. They ordered
and replaced the mechanism. They may replace the parts for free as it's a
safety item. Be aware that that there is a pre-tensioner in there and
requires precaution if you are doing it yourself. Also bolts must be torqued
to specs.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 12:35:02 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 8:01:32 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
I have a Toyota front shoulder belt...

If this is the driver's belt...can you use the passenger-side belt for the time-being to make it legal?

Both front seat belts have to work (at least here in Texas) to be legal
for inspection purposes.

In maryland they don't inspect the car until it's sold again, even if
that takes 20 years! I think I could use the passenger-side belt if I
sat on the passenger side.

OTOH, Pa. used to inspect cars twice a year, every year, but after
decades they lowered it to once a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:53:04 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Micky posted for all of us...

I have a Toyota front shoulder belt that won't come out any farther
and makes no effort to retract. Even with tugging, of course.

What are the odds that something's stuck or that something repairable
is broken and I can fix it, versus that it's shot?

If it's shot, it seems I'd be more likely to get one that fits just
right and whose color matches just right if I guy one from a junkyard,
similar car, than a new aftermarket one. What do you think?

Go to the Toyota dealer and they can remove the trim and trigger the latch,
most likely in the reception area-that's what they did for me. They ordered

That's a very good idea.

and replaced the mechanism.

I'm confused. If they were able to trigger the latch, why did htey
have to replace the mechanism?

Were they going to do it for free if it only required releasing the
latch?

? They may replace the parts for free as it's a

Even buying the part through them is not a good idea. They tried to
cheat me the only time I went there to get work done.

What a day. I had taken a pill so I can could manage to lie in an MRI
(some claustrophobia) and the supermarket gave me twice the prescribed
dosage. So I was groggy and I hit a curb. Later, after I replaced
the right half-axle, the lower control arm, the ball joint, the rotor,
and the brake pads, I needed the car aligned. They were advertising
a "sale" that made them as cheap as Firestone.

They aligned the wheels all right, maybe, but they took the
opportunity to evaluate my car, and they said I needed boots from both
CV joints in front. Well one had only 12 miles on it, and the other
I went over in detail and it was firm and without cracks. They wanted
5 or 600 for this iirc. I never did get around to complaining, so
when he offers to order a belt for me, I'll ask the price, how much is
their profit, and then I'll tell him why I wont' do it. Maybe I'll
look for the paper work and bring it with me. I know within an inch
where it is.

They might have tried to collect some other bogus "repairs". My
memory is vague.

safety item. Be aware that that there is a pre-tensioner in there and
requires precaution if you are doing it yourself.

Thank you. Is it enough to disconnect the connector after removing
the trim? While the car is off. (Surely, maybe, the pre-tensioner
can't fire when the car is off? )

Also bolts must be torqued
to specs.

Okay. I have the shop manual and I'll look for that part. (Sometimes
torques are elsewhere.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 3:54:18 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

Okay.

But no one wants to give me odds that it can be fixed?? I'm thinking
less than 10% but I don't want to order a new belt without checking. I
want to know the odds so I can bet with my next-door neighbor.

The odds are π².

That will get you your less than 10%.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 2:34:23 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 12:35:02 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 8:01:32 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
I have a Toyota front shoulder belt...

If this is the driver's belt...can you use the passenger-side belt for the time-being to make it legal?

So, the cheap creep that you are wouldn't take the parts/belt from the passenger front to use on the driver's side? How typical...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 3:53:01 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

Were they going to do it for free if it only required releasing the
latch?

I found this elsewhere...just one possible outcome if you go to the dealer.

The discussion was about a jammed seat-belt in a Honda. Someone mentioned
that Honda's seat-belts are warrantied for life. The OP called a Honda
dealer and was told:

"If they take it apart and find it's something like a folded seat belt
jamming the mechanism I pay the labor for taking it apart and putting
it together. If they find the seat belt is defective I pay nothing."

There was no mention of how much the labor would be, but I would guess
that it would the dealer minimum, like perhaps 1 hour.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 05:32:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 3:54:18 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

Okay.

But no one wants to give me odds that it can be fixed?? I'm thinking
less than 10% but I don't want to order a new belt without checking. I
want to know the odds so I can bet with my next-door neighbor.

The odds are ?².

That will get you your less than 10%.

Great. That's a number I can work with. I'm going to sucker my
neighbor into betting a lot of money. He says I can do it, and I'll
prove it to him that I can't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 3:54:18 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

Okay.

But no one wants to give me odds that it can be fixed?? I'm thinking
less than 10% but I don't want to order a new belt without checking. I
want to know the odds so I can bet with my next-door neighbor.

The odds are ?².

That will get you your less than 10%.

Great. That's a number I can work with. I'm going to sucker my
neighbor into betting a lot of money. He says I can do it, and I'll
prove it to him that I can't.

That sounds like a safe bet.

I'd never make a bet like that unless I really knew it couldn't be
fixed. I'd be too likely to lose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2016 3:34 AM, Micky wrote:

OTOH, Pa. used to inspect cars twice a year, every year, but after
decades they lowered it to once a year.

That used to be the biggest government sanctioned theft of motorists
ever invented. Scams varied from shop to shop.

We had three cars in the family and I took each one to a particular
shop. They all passed, even my convertible with fogged plastic window,
but coincidentally, they all needed a headlight adjustment. That was a
good shop to go to.

Some just checked lights since that was visible if the state was
watching. Others would try to get work like ball joints, tie rod ends
and the like, needed or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky posted for all of us...

Go to the Toyota dealer and they can remove the trim and trigger the latch,
most likely in the reception area-that's what they did for me. They ordered

That's a very good idea.

and replaced the mechanism.

I'm confused. If they were able to trigger the latch, why did htey
have to replace the mechanism?

Because it's under warranty and may happen again. It's called customer
satisfaction.

Were they going to do it for free if it only required releasing the
latch?

Yes

? They may replace the parts for free as it's a

Even buying the part through them is not a good idea. They tried to
cheat me the only time I went there to get work done.

safety item. Be aware that that there is a pre-tensioner in there and
requires precaution if you are doing it yourself.

Thank you. Is it enough to disconnect the connector after removing
the trim? While the car is off. (Surely, maybe, the pre-tensioner
can't fire when the car is off? )

I was cautioning you. It may be required to replace the mechanism. I don't
have the manual. You do.

Also bolts must be torqued
to specs.

Okay. I have the shop manual and I'll look for that part. (Sometimes
torques are elsewhere.)

Good idea.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 3:53:01 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

Were they going to do it for free if it only required releasing the
latch?

I found this elsewhere...just one possible outcome if you go to the dealer.

The discussion was about a jammed seat-belt in a Honda. Someone mentioned
that Honda's seat-belts are warrantied for life. The OP called a Honda
dealer and was told:

"If they take it apart and find it's something like a folded seat belt
jamming the mechanism I pay the labor for taking it apart and putting
it together. If they find the seat belt is defective I pay nothing."

There was no mention of how much the labor would be, but I would guess
that it would the dealer minimum, like perhaps 1 hour.

I would claim the is a design defect as the belt must not be folded to meet
strength or durability or crash worthiness.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 7/23/2016 3:34 AM, Micky wrote:

OTOH, Pa. used to inspect cars twice a year, every year, but after
decades they lowered it to once a year.

That used to be the biggest government sanctioned theft of motorists
ever invented. Scams varied from shop to shop.

We had three cars in the family and I took each one to a particular
shop. They all passed, even my convertible with fogged plastic window,
but coincidentally, they all needed a headlight adjustment. That was a
good shop to go to.

Some just checked lights since that was visible if the state was
watching. Others would try to get work like ball joints, tie rod ends
and the like, needed or not.

I wouldn't go there. Maybe you need some work done that can't be diagnosed
without it being on a lift. I want an honest place, autos are not perfect,
neither are the people that work on them. Crooks are crooks.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2016 4:00 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Problem was finding an honest place. Inspection twice a year is a rip
off to begin with. States with and without mandatory inspection have
little difference in defects or road problems. The cars that truly
needed a lot of work were often the same ones with black market illegal
stickers. Some cars would fail if you or I took it but a big busted
woman with a low cut blouse would pass. That was verified by a friend
that learned to send his wife.

Some states have eliminated the mandatory inspections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 3:55:30 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Seat belts can get twisted and pulled back into the mechanism without there be a design defect. It's amazing what a user can accomplish.

Besides, we're talking about a *jammed* seat belt, not a seat belt that is
twisted inside the mechanism and still operating. The belt must not be jammed
to meet crash worthiness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 3:54:18 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

Okay.

But no one wants to give me odds that it can be fixed?? I'm thinking
less than 10% but I don't want to order a new belt without checking. I
want to know the odds so I can bet with my next-door neighbor.

The odds are ?².

That will get you your less than 10%.

Great. That's a number I can work with. I'm going to sucker my
neighbor into betting a lot of money. He says I can do it, and I'll
prove it to him that I can't.

That sounds like a safe bet.

I'd never make a bet like that unless I really knew it couldn't be
fixed. I'd be too likely to lose.

You might fix it before you knew what you were doing!

Well, actually I might fix it myself, because today I noticed that,
despite what I said, the belt is folded. And I coudl even pull it
out 8 more inches. My bad.

In my defence, I thought because it was so far out that I coudl weigh
I'll bet 400 pounds and still fit, that it couldn't come out any
farther, and that twisting couldnt' be the problem then if it was all
the way unwound.

Even doubled I'm sure it gets through the slot in the side of the
passenger compartment fairlly easily, so there must be another smaller
slot farther in. I'll find it but I'll have to get up at dawn. Every
day is to be 92 or higher this week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 13:16:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/23/2016 3:34 AM, Micky wrote:

OTOH, Pa. used to inspect cars twice a year, every year, but after
decades they lowered it to once a year.

That used to be the biggest government sanctioned theft of motorists
ever invented. Scams varied from shop to shop.

We had three cars in the family and I took each one to a particular
shop. They all passed, even my convertible with fogged plastic window,
but coincidentally, they all needed a headlight adjustment. That was a
good shop to go to.

For a few years, I had a shop like that.

Some just checked lights since that was visible if the state was
watching. Others would try to get work like ball joints, tie rod ends
and the like, needed or not.

"Needed" is just a concept, but money is something you can get things
with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 15:53:06 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Micky posted for all of us...

Go to the Toyota dealer and they can remove the trim and trigger the latch,
most likely in the reception area-that's what they did for me. They ordered

That's a very good idea.

and replaced the mechanism.

I'm confused. If they were able to trigger the latch, why did htey
have to replace the mechanism?

Because it's under warranty and may happen again. It's called customer
satisfaction.

Oh, I'm way beyond the warranty. And to give them their due, it
didn't break during the warranty. It took 16 years.

Were they going to do it for free if it only required releasing the
latch?

Yes

? They may replace the parts for free as it's a

Even buying the part through them is not a good idea. They tried to
cheat me the only time I went there to get work done.

safety item. Be aware that that there is a pre-tensioner in there and
requires precaution if you are doing it yourself.

Thank you. Is it enough to disconnect the connector after removing
the trim? While the car is off. (Surely, maybe, the pre-tensioner
can't fire when the car is off? )

I was cautioning you. It may be required to replace the mechanism. I don't
have the manual. You do.

You're right. I found the book last night and it didn't have too much
of a warning. If I remember, I'll quote it before I post this.
"Something about disconnecting seat belt pretension wiring with the
ignition ON or ACC will record diagnostic trouble codes. Of course
afaik I have no trouble except physical.

Never use SBPreten. from another car. Of course they say that.

Remove scuff plate, rear seat cushion, rear seatback, quarter trim
panel, FRONT SEAT OUTER BELT SHOULDER ANCHOR, RETRACTOR OF FRONT SEAT
OUTER BELT.

Caution, never disassemble the front seat outer belt. I'm only gong
to poke at it.

It starts he

When removing the retractor fromt seat outer belt, take care not to
pull the seat belt pretentioner wire harness.

Disconnect the retractor switch connector.

Disconnect the pretensioner connector as shown in the illustration.
(I'll just follow the wire to its end.)

Caution, When removing the seat belt pretensioner work must be started
90 seconds after the ignistiion switch is turned to the Lock postion
and the negative terminal cable is disconnected from the battery.

{I guess they mean 90 seconds or more and not 90 seconds or less. It
will be hard to do it exactly 90 seconds after.}

Remove the two bolts and retractor of front outerseat belt.

Also bolts must be torqued
to specs.

Okay. I have the shop manual and I'll look for that part. (Sometimes
torques are elsewhere.)

Good idea.

Because it's Japanese, they give the torque in Newton-Minnows, some
second unit, and foot-pounds. I can't tell how many bolts there will
be because things are rearranged for convertibles, but 3 for a sedan
and all the bolts were the same torque, 31 ft. lbs.