Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default OT Shoulder belt doesn't retract

Micky wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 12:55:13 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:34:53 PM UTC-5, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 8:01:32 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
I have a Toyota front shoulder belt...
If this is the driver's belt...can you use the passenger-side belt for the time-being to make it legal?
Both front seat belts have to work (at least here in Texas) to be legal
for inspection purposes.
...hence, "time-being"!

Legal is legal, I don't believe there is a "time-being" clause in the
law. However, I got your point as far as being seen driving without being
buckled up.

Well, it's extended, not retracted, so I can still put it on. It
just won't do any good.

It will look fine unless the cop is up by the car looking at my lap.

I'm trying to move on this but it's been over 90 degrees every day.
Tonight I found the shop manuals so I'm going to read what it takes to
get the trim off and try to fix the belt. If I have to replace the
belt, I'd need to take the trim off for that too.

In the 90's was told it was a "major-bigdeal" to replace the shoulder
belt apparatus. When pulled over once, police officer accepted the fact
that is was broken and was pleased that I was wearing the seat belt. YMMV.