Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default OT Shoulder belt doesn't retract

Micky posted for all of us...

Go to the Toyota dealer and they can remove the trim and trigger the latch,
most likely in the reception area-that's what they did for me. They ordered

That's a very good idea.

and replaced the mechanism.

I'm confused. If they were able to trigger the latch, why did htey
have to replace the mechanism?

Because it's under warranty and may happen again. It's called customer
satisfaction.

Were they going to do it for free if it only required releasing the
latch?

Yes

? They may replace the parts for free as it's a

Even buying the part through them is not a good idea. They tried to
cheat me the only time I went there to get work done.

safety item. Be aware that that there is a pre-tensioner in there and
requires precaution if you are doing it yourself.

Thank you. Is it enough to disconnect the connector after removing
the trim? While the car is off. (Surely, maybe, the pre-tensioner
can't fire when the car is off? )

I was cautioning you. It may be required to replace the mechanism. I don't
have the manual. You do.

Also bolts must be torqued
to specs.

Okay. I have the shop manual and I'll look for that part. (Sometimes
torques are elsewhere.)

Good idea.

--
Tekkie