Posted to alt.home.repair

Default breaker box install question

a while back I removed a backyard pond. I connected the old wiring from
pond to my shed. Three 10 ga wires - black, white and green. I picked up
a 30 amp breaker box from Menards and it has room for two 15 amp circuit
breakers. I am not an electrition but I am just putting in a couple of
lights, two outlets and one switch which I know how to do. The ground
connection is obvious but I am not sure about black and white wires to the
breaker box.... The circuit breakers have a place to connect a wire at the
bottom. The top end the circuit breaker connects to a terminal (not sure
that is right name) to which another wire will be connected. The black wire
is hot and the white is neutral. Which wire goes where?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

a while back I removed a backyard pond. I connected the old wiring from
pond to my shed. Three 10 ga wires - black, white and green. I picked up
a 30 amp breaker box from Menards and it has room for two 15 amp circuit
breakers. I am not an electrition but I am just putting in a couple of
lights, two outlets and one switch which I know how to do. The ground
connection is obvious but I am not sure about black and white wires to the
breaker box.... The circuit breakers have a place to connect a wire at the
bottom. The top end the circuit breaker connects to a terminal (not sure
that is right name) to which another wire will be connected. The black wire
is hot and the white is neutral. Which wire goes where?

If you don't know enough about which of the 3 wires go where, don't mess
with it.

If you are sure the wires you have is for 120 volts ( I do assume you
are in the US) the black wires go to the breakers. Usually a terminal
at the top will connect to all the breakers. The white wire will go to
a terminal strip where you hook up the white wires comming from the
equipment or outlets. The green wire will go to another terminas strip.

In other words you want to make sure the breakers go between the
incomming black wire and the equipment black wire. The white wires feed
through, same as the green.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

1. I am certain this is 120 volts.

2. There are only two terminals on this breaker box. One terminal is for
ground........ and second terminal is for either the black or the white wire
that the circuit breaker connects to at the top.
the other connection is on the circuit breaker itself.

My only question is about the black and white
wires..........................which goes to the second terminal or does it
matter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 5:41:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
1. I am certain this is 120 volts.

2. There are only two terminals on this breaker box. One terminal is for
ground........ and second terminal is for either the black or the white wire
that the circuit breaker connects to at the top.
the other connection is on the circuit breaker itself.

My only question is about the black and white
wires..........................which goes to the second terminal or does it
matter?

The pink (corral or orange) is the ground.
http://waterheatertimer.org/images/1...r-subpanel.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in :

a while back I removed a backyard pond. I connected the old wiring from
pond to my shed. Three 10 ga wires - black, white and green. I picked up
a 30 amp breaker box from Menards and it has room for two 15 amp circuit
breakers.

You can't use this cable for that purpose safely.

How about if he only brings 120v to his box, using B-W/C-G. Then he
could create some safe circuits, right (at least on one side/pole)--he
would just need to make sure that he is sending in 120v to his panel and
not 240v, and consistently treat W as common. Of course, my thoughts
should be just considered fodder for argument. For instance, I don't
know what the electrical code says about any of this, etc. blah, blah,
blah.... As everyone knows, it's really hard to resist an electrical
question!

Bill

You don't have enough wires. You need
four wires, black, red, white, and green or bare.

I am not an electrition

Then you need to hire one. BTW, you'll have better luck finding one, either online or in the
Yellow Pages, with the correct spelling: electrician.

but I am just putting in a couple of
lights, two outlets and one switch which I know how to do. The ground
connection is obvious but I am not sure about black and white wires to the
breaker box....

You're in over your head on this one. Hire an electrician.

The circuit breakers have a place to connect a wire at the
bottom. The top end the circuit breaker connects to a terminal (not sure
that is right name) to which another wire will be connected. The black wire
is hot and the white is neutral. Which wire goes where?

Sorry, not going to help you with this. You need an electrician before you kill someone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a while back I removed a backyard pond. I connected the old wiring from
pond to my shed. Three 10 ga wires - black, white and green. I picked up
a 30 amp breaker box from Menards and it has room for two 15 amp circuit
breakers. I am not an electrition but I am just putting in a couple of
lights, two outlets and one switch which I know how to do. The ground
connection is obvious but I am not sure about black and white wires to the
breaker box.... The circuit breakers have a place to connect a wire at the
bottom. The top end the circuit breaker connects to a terminal (not sure
that is right name) to which another wire will be connected. The black wire
is hot and the white is neutral. Which wire goes where?

I would forget about a breaker box. The wire is probably 10 gauge to alleviate voltage drop. Just install a junction box and wire your outlets and lights from that. Black is hot, white is neutral, green is ground.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 7:25:20 AM UTC-4, John G wrote:
[...]

And, properly label the breaker back in the house. It says pond now (hopefully) and it needs to say shed. What size is that breaker?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 05:22:31 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

I would forget about a breaker box. The wire is probably 10 gauge
to alleviate voltage drop. Just install a junction box and wire your
outlets and lights from that. Black is hot, white is neutral, green is ground.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

And, properly label the breaker back in the house. It says pond now (ho
pefully) and it needs to say shed. What size is that breaker?

That house breaker is likely a 30A. Way too large for any outlets or
lights. It needs to be changed to a 15A or 20A. (20A will require 12
gauge wire to all devices, but the existing 10 gauge is fine).

However, we are not sure if this is 120V or 240V.

I also recommend getting an electrician, or at least finding a friend or
neighbor who knows what they are doing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/21/2016 6:25 AM, John G wrote:

I would forget about a breaker box. The wire is probably 10 gauge to
alleviate voltage drop. Just install a junction box and wire your
outlets and lights from that. Black is hot, white is neutral, green is
ground.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

While certainly ok and easiest, it surely might be handy to have a
cutoff in the shed, too...

I wonder about how the wire is run from its previous location of the
garden feature to the shed...

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If I am not mistaken, a junction box is fine, but the shed also needs a
main disconnect "nearest the point of entrance" of the circuit. If a
simple light switch is used, it would be nice if it was labeled as the
disconnect so that it is not confused with the actual light switch.

On the other hand, the fact that 10 gauge wire is being used, the OP
should use something that is designed to accept the larger wire size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

Well Mr. Electrician that might be advice for those that know what they
are doing, it is clearly not in this case.

As # 10 wire has been ran, this indicates that a 20 to 30 amp breaker is
in the main box. That would need to be changed if smaller wire was ran
to the outlets and lights from just a junction box. I doubt that you
will find any 120 volt outlets that will be wired with # 10 wire.
Number 12 and most likely # 14 wire would be used in his shed.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 10:50:50 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

If it's a 20A, he could use #12 and be OK.
But to comply with code, he'd also need a disconnect in the shed.
But the real thing here is that given the very limited
understanding, he should get an electrician or at least someone
to help him who knows what they are doing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 5:02:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
a while back I removed a backyard pond. I connected the old
wiring from pond to my shed. Three 10 ga wires - black, white
and green. I picked up a 30 amp breaker box from Menards and
it has room for two 15 amp circuit breakers.

You don't explain where this wire is coming from or how long it
is. It should come from a 15a or 20a breaker on the main panel.

Black is hot. White is neutral. Green is earth ground. That is
the standard color code but you can't trust that is true until
you verify it. A 10 gauge wire at 120V should go through a 15a or
20a breaker. If the wire is long then a 15a breaker may be best.
The black (Hot) wire goes to the breaker. The box may accept two
breakers but you can only use one breaker. Turn off the power
before messing with it. Contact an electrician if you are uncertain.
Use a test light to verify that black is indeed the only hot wire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 1:04:17 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
[...]

The clueless leading the clueless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:03:58 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

[...]

Since it is not going to be 100% to code anyway, there IS a way to
use both breakers in that panel. Using a lug or large wire nut, split
the black to both breakers, and put the white on the neutral as you
normally would. Make sure the #10 wire is fed on the black from a
single 30 amp breaker, with the white on neutral at the main panel so
you are only getting 120 volts, not 240.. Connect the bare or green to
the panel case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2016 10:50 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
As # 10 wire has been ran, this indicates that a 20 to 30 amp breaker is
in the main box. That would need to be changed if smaller wire was ran
to the outlets and lights from just a junction box. I doubt that you
will find any 120 volt outlets that will be wired with # 10 wire.
Number 12 and most likely # 14 wire would be used in his shed.

I wanted to minimize voltage drop so I used #10 to wire my garage receptacles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote in news:5791690a$0$46652$c3e8da3$e074e489
@news.astraweb.com:

I wanted to minimize voltage drop so I used #10 to wire my garage receptacles.

.... which is a Code violation and potential fire hazard, unless the receptacles are rated for use
with AWG 10 conductors (or unless you used AWG 12 pigtails between that and the
receptacles).

The issue is that unless the receptacle was designed for AWG 10 conductors, it's not possible
to properly secure one that large under the terminal screw, and it may work loose, leading to
arcing and fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/21/2016 08:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 7/21/2016 10:50 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
As # 10 wire has been ran, this indicates that a 20 to 30 amp breaker is
in the main box. That would need to be changed if smaller wire was ran
to the outlets and lights from just a junction box. I doubt that you
will find any 120 volt outlets that will be wired with # 10 wire.
Number 12 and most likely # 14 wire would be used in his shed.

I wanted to minimize voltage drop so I used #10 to wire my garage
receptacles.

Same here! When I use #10 for branch circuits I use back wire
receptacles and larger j-boxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 5:16:25 AM UTC-4, Rusty Boldt wrote:
On 07/21/2016 08:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 7/21/2016 10:50 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
As # 10 wire has been ran, this indicates that a 20 to 30 amp breaker is
in the main box. That would need to be changed if smaller wire was ran
to the outlets and lights from just a junction box. I doubt that you
will find any 120 volt outlets that will be wired with # 10 wire.
Number 12 and most likely # 14 wire would be used in his shed.

I wanted to minimize voltage drop so I used #10 to wire my garage
receptacles.

Same here! When I use #10 for branch circuits I use back wire
receptacles and larger j-boxes.

I ran #12 when I installed a garbage disposal and would have had a heck of a time getting #10 pulled through those bends. Thicker sizes are a pain for an amateur to handle. Of course pros do it every day.

Here's what I'm wondering. You're in your shed working on a project late at night. You're surrounded by disassembled pieces, some of which you'll never figure out where to put if you disturb your layout, some breakable, some sharp. You power up your saw or other tool and trip the breaker.

Do the lights die too? Are you now in the dark unable to move without tripping over stuff? Or does just the outlet breaker trip?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/22/2016 7:51 AM, TimR wrote:

I ran #12 when I installed a garbage disposal and would have had a
heck of a time getting #10 pulled through those bends. Thicker sizes
are a pain for an amateur to handle. Of course pros do it every
day.

Solid or stranded? I almost always pull stranded for #10 and larger...

Here's what I'm wondering. You're in your shed working on a project
late at night. You're surrounded by disassembled pieces, some of
which you'll never figure out where to put if you disturb your
layout, some breakable, some sharp. You power up your saw or other
tool and trip the breaker.

Do the lights die too? Are you now in the dark unable to move
without tripping over stuff? Or does just the outlet breaker trip?

'Pends on whether you thought ahead when wiring or no... Ideally,
there even ought to be two light circuits, too, altho for just a small
shed it's overkill. Having split circuits in a multi-story house for
example means you can at least find your way to the panel in the
basement instead of the whole place being dark as a parallel idea...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:
On 07/22/2016 7:51 AM, TimR wrote:

I ran #12 when I installed a garbage disposal and would have had a
heck of a time getting #10 pulled through those bends. Thicker sizes
are a pain for an amateur to handle. Of course pros do it every
day.

Solid or stranded? I almost always pull stranded for #10 and larger...

And a bit of snot always helps...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:50:59 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
dpb writes:
On 07/22/2016 7:51 AM, TimR wrote:

I ran #12 when I installed a garbage disposal and would have had a
heck of a time getting #10 pulled through those bends. Thicker sizes
are a pain for an amateur to handle. Of course pros do it every
day.

Solid or stranded? I almost always pull stranded for #10 and larger...

And a bit of snot always helps...

Solid was cheaper. ! It was my first time running a new circuit, and I learned the hard way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 4:16:25 AM UTC-5, Rusty Boldt wrote:
On 07/21/2016 08:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 7/21/2016 10:50 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
As # 10 wire has been ran, this indicates that a 20 to 30 amp breaker is
in the main box. That would need to be changed if smaller wire was ran
to the outlets and lights from just a junction box. I doubt that you
will find any 120 volt outlets that will be wired with # 10 wire.
Number 12 and most likely # 14 wire would be used in his shed.

I wanted to minimize voltage drop so I used #10 to wire my garage
receptacles.

Same here! When I use #10 for branch circuits I use back wire
receptacles and larger j-boxes.

I use these, rated up to #10 copper. You can easily make 6 connections each, without a hassle.
http://tinyurl.com/jrqzy9f
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 07:57:03 -0700 (PDT), bob_villain
wrote:

I use these, rated up to #10 copper. You can easily make 6 connections each, without a hassle.
http://tinyurl.com/jrqzy9f

If you are using the side screw and also the 2 back wire ports, you
have violated the listing. They are only listed for one or the other,
2 wires per terminal max using the back wire or one per screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I use these, rated up to #10 copper. You can easily make 6 connections each, without a hassle.
http://tinyurl.com/jrqzy9f

If you are using the side screw and also the 2 back wire ports, you
have violated the listing. They are only listed for one or the other,
2 wires per terminal max using the back wire or one per screw.

Sign me up for the violation...it makes for a compact box without wire-nuts. These are excellent construction-grade (not push-in) connectors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John G posted for all of us...

[...]

+1 As always

--