Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about Circuit Breaker

I have a circuit breaker that won't switch back on for my microwave.
It has gone off a couple of times in the past few years, but now it
won't switch on. Do these switches go bad singly, since the rest of
them are fine, or is there some trick besides an electrician to switch
it back on. TIA

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..
I have a circuit breaker that won't switch back on for my microwave.
It has gone off a couple of times in the past few years, but now it
won't switch on. Do these switches go bad singly, since the rest of
them are fine, or is there some trick besides an electrician to switch
it back on. TIA

--
Cheri

sometimes you have to switch them all the way to off before they'll go back
to the on position.

they can go bad. it's pretty easy to change them out if you first power off
the breaker box with the service disconnect breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote in message ...

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
I have a circuit breaker that won't switch back on for my microwave.
It has gone off a couple of times in the past few years, but now it
won't switch on. Do these switches go bad singly, since the rest of
them are fine, or is there some trick besides an electrician to

switch
it back on. TIA

--
Cheri

sometimes you have to switch them all the way to off before they'll

go back
to the on position.

they can go bad. it's pretty easy to change them out if you first

power off
the breaker box with the service disconnect breaker.

Thank you, that's what I needed to know. I did try to switch all the
way back several times, and no luck. Since I know nothing about
electricity, I didn't know if one could go bad without the rest going
bad.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..
I have a circuit breaker that won't switch back on for my microwave.
It has gone off a couple of times in the past few years, but now it
won't switch on. Do these switches go bad singly, since the rest of
them are fine, or is there some trick besides an electrician to switch
it back on. TIA

--
Cheri

Circuit breakers can go bad and it has been my observation that those with
large continuous loads seem to fail more than those with less of a load.
Before you change the circuit breaker, unplug your microwave oven and then
try and reset the breaker. If it resets with the microwave unplugged, you
may have a problem with the appliance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..
I have a circuit breaker that won't switch back on for my microwave.
It has gone off a couple of times in the past few years, but now it
won't switch on. Do these switches go bad singly, since the rest of
them are fine, or is there some trick besides an electrician to switch
it back on. TIA

--
Cheri

As someone with limited experience, I wouldn't recommend that you open the
breaker panel.Do as John Grabowski recommended. If the breaker resets
without the microwave plugged in, you probably have a bad appliance. If it
does reset, do not try to plug the microwave back in, as you'll probably
get a shower of sparks.If the breaker still won't reset, it's probably gone
bad

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 May 2008 14:33:18 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

I have a circuit breaker that won't switch back on for my microwave.
It has gone off a couple of times in the past few years, but now it
won't switch on. Do these switches go bad singly, since the rest of
them are fine, or is there some trick besides an electrician to switch
it back on. TIA

They do go bad.

I would temporary switch the wire with another breaker. If that
breaker won't switch back on then you have a short circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:18:57 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Yes, one breaker can go bad. Call an electrician, or a trusted handyman.
It's dangerous to open electric panel, but it can be done.

Not an electrician, but I believed when told to keep one hand in a
pocket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, one breaker can go bad. Call an electrician, or a trusted

handyman.
It's dangerous to open electric panel, but it can be done.

Not an electrician, but I believed when told to keep one hand in a
pocket.

I will call Steve from ASAP electric after reading the responses. I
was shocked terribly once where it took almost a year to be able to
use my left hand completely, once is enough. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "charlie" wrote:

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
I have a circuit breaker that won't switch back on for my microwave.

[...]
sometimes

You misspelled "always".

you have to switch them all the way to off before they'll go back
to the on position.

they can go bad. it's pretty easy to change them out if you first power off
the breaker box with the service disconnect breaker.

It's actually a lot easier to change them if you leave the main breaker on,
so you're not trying to change breakers in the dark. And as long as you pay
attention to where you put your fingers, it really isn't significantly less
safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 9:31*pm, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:
[...]

may have a problem with the appliance.- Hide quoted text -

Cheri: (My dear!). I Based on your wording of the original question:
DO try unplugging 'everything' on that circuit including the microwave
oven and try to reset the breaker again.
There is a remote (but unlikely) possibility of too many things are
plugged in on that circuit and the circuit breaker just got tired and
gave up.
DO NOT (again based on the original question), try to fix it yourself;
with the main circuit breaker either on or off. etc. Have flashlight
available while someone fixes it in case they have to turn off the
whole house/apartment etc.
Have someone competent and trustworthy check the circuit breaker, who
will have the tools, and will know how to get the right breaker size
(ampere rating must suit the size of wiring etc.) and right type of
breaker. BTW here single pole breakers cost anywhere from $12 to $25
each.
Someone who can properly disconnect the wire to change the breaker.
Then reconnect and test the circuit. Just to make sure there isn't
something else wrong on that circuit (such as a broken outlet, short
circuited wiring inside the wall etc. etc.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 10:46�pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "charlie" wrote:

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
I have a circuit breaker that won't switch back on for my microwave.

[...]
sometimes

You misspelled "always".

you have to switch them all the way to off before they'll go back
to the on position.

they can go bad. it's pretty easy to change them out if you first power off
the breaker box with the service disconnect breaker.

It's actually a lot easier to change them if you leave the main breaker on,
so you're not trying to change breakers in the dark. And as long as you pay
attention to where you put your fingers, it really isn't significantly less
safe.

!!!!!!!NOT FOR A NOVICE!!!!!!

A helper with a flashlight, working during daylight, a drop light with
a 12 volt bulb powered from your cars battery, or even a inverter and
regular light all poered from your car, are way better alternatives,
than replacing as breaker with the main breaker on
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 11:58�am, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:47:44 -0700 (PDT), terry
And yes, breakers do go bad, just like everything else. �If this
breaker has tripped several times in the past, you probably have too
much on it, the breaker died from heat buildup. If you do hire an
electrician, you might have them install a separate (dedicated)
circuit and outlet for the microwave, because microwave ovens use

lots
of power.

OK, thanks. I did just buy a new microwave and it does have more power
than the old one, so that was probably the problem? I don't know if
the circuit is already a dedicated line, but that particular switch in
the circuit box, only controls the power to the microwave and nothing
else, so that would already be a dedicated line, or not? I told you
I'm ignorant about electricity, and I'm sure you have no trouble
believing that. :-)

Cheri

try new microwave on different breaker.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in message ...

try new microwave on different breaker.........

Hi,
M/W won't trip ordinary 15A breaker. I'd think breaker is the last

thing
to suspect under normal circumstances. The new M/W may be bad out of
box. BTW, what brand is it? How big in Wattage? 1100? 1300?

Sharp Carousel 1200 watts. I have it plugged into a different plug,
and it's working fine.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote in message ...

try new microwave on different breaker.........

Hi,
M/W won't trip ordinary 15A breaker. I'd think breaker is the last

thing

to suspect under normal circumstances. The new M/W may be bad out of
box. BTW, what brand is it? How big in Wattage? 1100? 1300?

Sharp Carousel 1200 watts. I have it plugged into a different plug,
and it's working fine.

Cheri

Hmm,
Then indeed the breaker may be going bad or loose connection in that
circuit(inside outlet or on the breaker itself. Ours is Panasonic 1300W
and it never did amything to the breaker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article 5cca38ba-bd85-4ea4-abb2-
, says...
On May 23, 10:46=EF=BF=BDpm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "charlie" =

,
so you're not trying to change breakers in the dark. And as long as you pa=

attention to where you put your fingers, it really isn't significantly les=

safe.

!!!!!!!NOT FOR A NOVICE!!!!!!

A helper with a flashlight, working during daylight, a drop light with
a 12 volt bulb powered from your cars battery, or even a inverter and
regular light all poered from your car, are way better alternatives,
than replacing as breaker with the main breaker on

I see you missed the part where I wrote "pay attention to where you put
your fingers."

If you don't touch the busses or the main lugs, it's damn near
impossible to get shocked while changinge a breaker. And there's no
reason to have your fingers near enough to them that there's any danger
of touching them.

You are leaving out the possibility of faulting out a buss bar by
applying too much pressure to the breaker during insertion in some
panels and numerous other small mistakes that could get them badly
burned or killed. Leaving the main breaker on or even re closing it
prior to reinstalling the dead front or cover on the panel cabinet is
not advice one should in good conscience offer to a novice.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom writes:

Sharp Carousel 1200 watts. I have it plugged into a different plug,
and it's working fine.

Probably a bad breaker then. It should supply up to 1800 W (15 A at 120
V) without tripping.

I once lived in a house where a 1000 W toaster would occasionally trip
a particular kitchen circuit breaker. The toaster wasn't drawing too
much current (I checked) so I replaced the breaker. Never tripped
again.

Breakers do fail.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom writes:

Sharp Carousel 1200 watts. I have it plugged into a different plug,
and it's working fine.

Probably a bad breaker then. It should supply up to 1800 W (15 A at 120
V) without tripping.

I once lived in a house where a 1000 W toaster would occasionally trip
a particular kitchen circuit breaker. The toaster wasn't drawing too
much current (I checked) so I replaced the breaker. Never tripped
again.

Breakers do fail.

My dad had the same problem when I gave him a my old microwave (a few years
old - replaced his 20 year old one). He said the breaker would trip once in
a while before, but started tripping every time he tried to use the new
microwave. I put in a new duplex breaker replacing the old one ... "problem
solved!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Slightly Graying Wolf" wrote in
message news:cQY_j.170925$Cj7.71913@pd7urf2no...
My dad had the same problem when I gave him a my old microwave (a few
years old - replaced his 20 year old one). He said the breaker would trip
once in a while before, but started tripping every time he tried to use
the new microwave. I put in a new duplex breaker replacing the old one ...
"problem solved!"

Gray Wolf, What is a duplex breaker? One of these "piggyback" space saver
breakers?
Thanks, Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Slightly Graying Wolf" wrote in