Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default cicuit breaker question

I want add a new breaker to my box (this is an empty spot). My question is
are they a lot of different types of breakers? I am going to go to home
depot to buy one so I want to know before I go if there is a model number or
something I need? Hopefully there are only a couple sizes and I can tell
by looking at them.

Thanks.

--
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
I want add a new breaker to my box (this is an empty spot). My question is
are they a lot of different types of breakers? I am going to go to home
depot to buy one so I want to know before I go if there is a model number
or something I need? Hopefully there are only a couple sizes and I can
tell by looking at them.

There are about a dozen or so different sizes and shapes.
I suggest you note the brand and maybe take a picture and bring the camera.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

I am splitting off one line that has a kegerator, full size fridge and 5000
btu AC, and varius other junk running on it. I am adding a new 30 and
moving over the two fridges. My breakers never throw but I often get
voltage drops on that line. I hope this will help.

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bob wrote:
I want add a new breaker to my box (this is an empty spot). My question
is
are they a lot of different types of breakers? I am going to go to home
depot to buy one so I want to know before I go if there is a model number
or
something I need? Hopefully there are only a couple sizes and I can
tell
by looking at them.

Probably not...open the panel and it will have a list of approved
breakers for the panel. If you're lucky it will be on the door, if not
you'll have to take the cover off to get to it. But, it will be there
(unless, of course, some prior idjit has obliterated it)...

If you're thinking of adding a large capacity breaker (30 A), you
should do a load capacity calculation before just making the addition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It should help, just use big enough wires for the new 30A branch. #10 I
believe.

Never tripped, you must have never had all 4 turn on at exactly the same
time (4x startup current). Kind of like a slot machine. Just the right
combination and you end up mopping the floor in the morning.

BTW, if the original breaker had tripped many times in the past but then
kind of stopped, it may not be working the way it should anymore and you
might want to replace it at the same time. It still may trip due to a dead
short but will it trip at the rated value, that's harder to proove.

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I am splitting off one line that has a kegerator, full size fridge and 5000
btu AC, and varius other junk running on it. I am adding a new 30 and
moving over the two fridges. My breakers never throw but I often get
voltage drops on that line. I hope this will help.

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bob wrote:
I want add a new breaker to my box (this is an empty spot). My question
is
are they a lot of different types of breakers? I am going to go to home
depot to buy one so I want to know before I go if there is a model
number or
something I need? Hopefully there are only a couple sizes and I can
tell
by looking at them.

Probably not...open the panel and it will have a list of approved
breakers for the panel. If you're lucky it will be on the door, if not
you'll have to take the cover off to get to it. But, it will be there
(unless, of course, some prior idjit has obliterated it)...

If you're thinking of adding a large capacity breaker (30 A), you
should do a load capacity calculation before just making the addition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
I want add a new breaker to my box (this is an empty spot). My question is
are they a lot of different types of breakers? I am going to go to home
depot to buy one so I want to know before I go if there is a model number or
something I need? Hopefully there are only a couple sizes and I can tell
by looking at them.

Thanks.

--
Bob

Andy suggests:

I always try to remove an existing breaker that I can do without
for an hour
and take it to the store with me..... It allows me to compare all the
little plastic
hooks and metal plugs with the new one to make sure it will fit........
Sure, it's a little more trouble, but it's foolproof.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas