Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running a Garden Hose 16.8 Miles.....

A friend of mine lives 16.8 miles from me. His well pump appears to have
died. I went there and checked it for him, and there is power going to
the submersible pump, but no water coming out. I also popped off the
well cover and can not hear any sound, where a pump can usually be
heard.

I told him that he need to get a well driller, or plumber who can pull
the pump.

Anyhow, I was just joking around, when I told him that he's welcome to
run a garden hose from my house to his place. We got to laughing about
this, and said it would probably take at least 500 50ft hoses.

It turns out I was way off.....
On my way home, I watched the odometer. He's 16.8 miles away.
That's 88,704 feet. (roughly 1775 50ft garden hoses).

Anyhow, this is just nonsense, but I was thinking about it, and wonder
if there would be any pressure at the end of 1775 hoses. First off, the
hoses would have to go thru culverts so they were not driven over. Then
the hose would be going up and down a lot of hills and valleys, in this
case, the hose would have to cross a large river, which in itself could
be a problem. But like I said, this is just nonsense, but I am wondering
if there would be any pressure? I sort of doubt it.

I've already connected SEVEN 50ft hoses (350ft) when I had frozen
hydrants, and needed to get water to my animals, and I could notice a
considerable slowing of the water, and its pressure.

Anyhow, just for grins, is there any way to calculate water pressure
thru a 5/8" garden hose per foot? And just to mention it, my pressure
tank gauge varies from 35 to 50lbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

Sure,
Pressure at the other end of the hose is exactly the same as at the head
end.
Problem is friction. The issue is FLOW.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2016 9:00 PM, mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

Assumes no change in altitude.
Problem is friction. The issue is FLOW.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

Unless both houses were at the same altitude, the pressure would not be the
same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:06:53 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

There would be considerable altitude difference, because that river is
the low point, and the hose would go downward a lot, then have to go
back up hill to his house.

I dont know what the altitude difference would be, nor how to determine
the altitude of my home, his home, and the river. But I do know there
are a lot of hills and valleys and some are quite steep!

Actually, how does someone find out the altitude of their home (or any
other place)? Is this something that can be found on the web, based on
the physical address?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'm amazed that anyone would even respond to something as
ridiculous as this question

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I don't know if you're posting a serious problem, looking for a real solution, but I'll take a chance and give you a possible solution that will probably fix the problem.

In the control box is a black capacitor called the start capacitor. Have your friend turn off the power at the breaker, take out the capacitor, take it to a water well company, or Home Depot and buy another one. The one he gets may or may not look exactly alike, but will probably work. Put in the new one, turn on the power and see if it works. I bet it will.

I've seen start capacitors that were half the original size that worked, and vice versa. They're usually around $25.00 dollars. You can get replacements on eBay for less but you have to wait for shipping.

The silver capacitor is called the run capacitor. When the pump starts, but won't continue to run after an indefinite period of time, it needs to be replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2016 11:16 PM, wrote:

Actually, how does someone find out the altitude of their home (or any
other place)? Is this something that can be found on the web, based on
the physical address?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altimeter
FWIW, you can connect two houses with plastic pipe, adapters and washing
machine hoses, outdoor tap to outdoor tap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2016 11:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

Is your life that ****ing dull? I almost pity you but I don't pity fools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 22:55:34 -0500
wrote:

I told him that he need to get a well driller, or plumber who can pull
the pump.

That is the biggest load of nonsense ever.
Do it himself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2016 12:00 AM, mike wrote:
Pressure at the other end of the hose is exactly the same as at the head
end.
Problem is friction. The issue is FLOW.

That would be the case if there were zero flow, and zero leaks.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2016 12:03 AM, mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 9:00 PM, mike wrote:
Anyhow, just for grins, is there any way to calculate water pressure
thru a 5/8" garden hose per foot? And just to mention it, my pressure
tank gauge varies from 35 to 50lbs.

Sure,
Pressure at the other end of the hose is exactly the same as at the head
end.

Assumes no cha[pressure change is 0.434 PSI per foot.--

..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..]nge in altitude.
Problem is friction. The issue is FLOW.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2016 12:24 AM, ChairMan wrote:
Anyhow, just for grins, is there any way to calculate
water pressure
thru a 5/8" garden hose per foot? And just to mention
it, my
pressure tank gauge varies from 35 to 50lbs.

I'm amazed that anyone would even respond to something as
ridiculous as this question

I'm hoping to hear from Danny D, who has the
experience as a water hauler.

So, why DID you comment on this ridiculous
question?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2016 2:13 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altimeter
FWIW, you can connect two houses with plastic pipe, adapters and washing
machine hoses, outdoor tap to outdoor tap.

When I was a teen, I came home one day to find a
garden hose I didn't recognize, connected from the
spigot on my parents house, and going to the spigot
on the next door neighbors house. I asked what was
with that. Find out that the water department was
doing some serious repairs. They got permission
from my parents, and ran the hose so the neighbors
could have water while they were doing the repairs.

The water guy took our meter off, so we had free water
for a couple days.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Some cut.

Why not type "pressure loss calculator" into a few search engines and
see which results you like the best?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Water is neither created nor destroyed / E-mc˜‹
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:06:53 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Google earth . It's pretty accurate , shows the altitude difference in just
a few feet for instance on a hill or something .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

And yet all 3 of you read the thread and responded ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

You assume wrong. I read all I needed to in the subject line

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

That must make *you* double ****ing dumb...*you* responded to us!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I dont know what the altitude difference would be, nor how to determine

the altitude of my home, his home, and the river. But I do know there
are a lot of hills and valleys and some are quite steep!

Actually, how does someone find out the altitude of their home (or any
other place)? Is this something that can be found on the web, based on
the physical address?

Most of the country has been mapped out as to the altitude. I can get on
the county tax map and get contour lines and satalite pix of the house I
live in.

See if your county web page has a GIS map program .

Some, maybe all or most all of the GPS units will have a screen where the
altitude can be read. It does not seem to be near as accurate as the
horizontal position.

Years ago I ordered from the government some maps that had the contour lines
on it. The local library may have some, or a small local airport may be
able to help with the maps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 12:01:19 AM UTC-4, mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

That isn't true. At some given pressure and some hose length, the
friction of the hose is great enough that the water effectively
forms a plug and the pressure will be X at the source end and 0 at
the far end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 01:39:20 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 22:55:34 -0500,
wrote:

The thing you should have told us is how deep is the well.
If it is 50-60 feet, pulling the pump is doable for a couple of guys.
Much deeper than that and you need a machine or really big guys.
You can make it a whole lot easier if you snake an air hose down the
pipe and blow as much water out as you can. Then 80 might not be that
hard. Hope they put a rope on the pump.

To answer several questions, we dont know the well depth, but it's at
least 100ft. I know when my own well pump died, it was impossible to
lift the steel pipes and pump even with my tractor loader. I had a
company do the job, which was costly, but my pump is down 370ft. The old
pump was 38 years old according to the label on it.

For this guy, I did try another capacitor. I have a few spare pump
control boxes on hand, so we tried all of that. Either his pump is dead,
or there's a broken wire somewhere down in the well.

I suggested he ask his neighbors if he can run a hose to their house
until he can get someone to pull his well. He said he would. However, I
told him he needs to disconnect his well tank and either add a valve, or
cap off that pipe. Otherwise the water from the neighbor could be pushed
back down into his well. (I think that could happen)..... If he gets the
neighbors water, I told him I'd come and sweat a valve in his copper
pipe for him tomorrow, but I think he's only going to ask them if he can
haul buckets, because it's still cold enough that a hose could freeze
up, and his neighbor is quite a distance away, so it would take at least
8 hoses.

He's hoping he can get a well company tomorrow....
I recommended the guys that did my well. I was pleased with their work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/22/2016 01:13 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

[snip[

FWIW, you can connect two houses with plastic pipe, adapters and washing
machine hoses, outdoor tap to outdoor tap.

So I might have a use for that "lesbian" (2 female ends) hose I found.

--
"The skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or
researches, as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found."

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

You don't have a USGS topo map of your place?

Actually, there are web sites to do that. I just googled
for "find the elevation", google suggested "find the elevation
of my house", and a number of promising links were returned.

My house is at 827 feet.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 2:52:38 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Actually, there are web sites to do that. I just googled
for "find the elevation", google suggested "find the elevation
of my house", and a number of promising links were returned.

My house is at 827 feet.

Cindy Hamilton

What pressure will the water in the hose be at when he runs it
500 miles or 6+ miles to your house?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 5:58:09 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 2:52:38 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Actually, there are web sites to do that. I just googled
for "find the elevation", google suggested "find the elevation
of my house", and a number of promising links were returned.

My house is at 827 feet.

Cindy Hamilton

What pressure will the water in the hose be at when he runs it
500 miles or 6+ miles to your house?

I hope he never comes within 500 miles of my house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2016 12:17 PM, notX wrote:
On 03/22/2016 01:13 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

[snip[

FWIW, you can connect two houses with plastic pipe, adapters and washing
machine hoses, outdoor tap to outdoor tap.

So I might have a use for that "lesbian" (2 female ends) hose I found.

Probably a lesbian laundry hookup ho?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/22/2016 01:11 PM, Micky wrote:

[snip]

That raises an interesting question. When the water is only a foot
from the supply, it hasn't run into much friction, but the flow is the
same as the water that's 16 miles from the supply. Almost like it
sent scouts ahead and found out about all the friction along the way.

The water at the far end of the hose is slowed down by excessive friction.

The water near the beginning of the hose is slowed down by the hose
being blocked (by the slow water at the far end).

Does that make sense?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/23/2016 06:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/22/2016 12:17 PM, notX wrote:
On 03/22/2016 01:13 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

[snip[

FWIW, you can connect two houses with plastic pipe, adapters and washing
machine hoses, outdoor tap to outdoor tap.

So I might have a use for that "lesbian" (2 female ends) hose I found.

Probably a lesbian laundry hookup ho?

I used to have a lesbian hose. The rats are it. No rat problem for 8
years now, too many cats.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Organized religion is responsible for the brainwashing of millions of
young children too young to know the difference between reality and the
fantasies of millions. Save Yourself. Drop Christianity.