Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Running a Garden Hose 16.8 Miles.....

mike wrote:
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
A friend of mine lives 16.8 miles from me. His well pump appears to
have died. I went there and checked it for him, and there is power
going to the submersible pump, but no water coming out. I also
popped off the well cover and can not hear any sound, where a pump
can usually be heard.

I told him that he need to get a well driller, or plumber who can
pull the pump.

Anyhow, I was just joking around, when I told him that he's welcome
to run a garden hose from my house to his place. We got to laughing
about this, and said it would probably take at least 500 50ft hoses.

It turns out I was way off.....
On my way home, I watched the odometer. He's 16.8 miles away.
That's 88,704 feet. (roughly 1775 50ft garden hoses).

Anyhow, this is just nonsense, but I was thinking about it, and
wonder if there would be any pressure at the end of 1775 hoses.
First off, the hoses would have to go thru culverts so they were not
driven over. Then the hose would be going up and down a lot of hills
and valleys, in this case, the hose would have to cross a large
river, which in itself could be a problem. But like I said, this is
just nonsense, but I am wondering if there would be any pressure? I
sort of doubt it. I've already connected SEVEN 50ft hoses (350ft) when I had
frozen
hydrants, and needed to get water to my animals, and I could notice a
considerable slowing of the water, and its pressure.

Anyhow, just for grins, is there any way to calculate water pressure
thru a 5/8" garden hose per foot? And just to mention it, my pressure
tank gauge varies from 35 to 50lbs.

Sure,
Pressure at the other end of the hose is exactly the same as at the
head end.
Problem is friction. The issue is FLOW.

Unless both houses were at the same altitude, the pressure would not be the
same.