Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Running a Garden Hose 16.8 Miles.....

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:00:06 -0700, mike wrote:

On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, wrote:
I've already connected SEVEN 50ft hoses (350ft) when I had frozen
hydrants, and needed to get water to my animals, and I could notice a
considerable slowing of the water, and its pressure.

Anyhow, just for grins, is there any way to calculate water pressure
thru a 5/8" garden hose per foot? And just to mention it, my pressure
tank gauge varies from 35 to 50lbs.

Sure,
Pressure at the other end of the hose is exactly the same as at the head
end.

When the water is not moving. When it is moving pressure is lower at
the far end. Same as with electricity. E = IR, where I = flow, R =
resistance (which he should be able to measure with his seven 350-foot
hoses) and E = pressure.

Problem is friction. The issue is FLOW.

That raises an interesting question. When the water is only a foot
from the supply, it hasn't run into much friction, but the flow is the
same as the water that's 16 miles from the supply. Almost like it
sent scouts ahead and found out about all the friction along the way.