Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running a Garden Hose 16.8 Miles.....

On 3/21/2016 11:55 PM, wrote:
A friend of mine lives 16.8 miles from me. His well pump appears to have
died. I went there and checked it for him, and there is power going to
the submersible pump, but no water coming out. I also popped off the
well cover and can not hear any sound, where a pump can usually be
heard.

It turns out I was way off.....
On my way home, I watched the odometer. He's 16.8 miles away.
That's 88,704 feet. (roughly 1775 50ft garden hoses).

Anyhow, just for grins, is there any way to calculate water pressure
thru a 5/8" garden hose per foot? And just to mention it, my pressure
tank gauge varies from 35 to 50lbs.

Back in my college days, I learned formulas for a
couple sizes of fire hose, to calculate the pressure
loss. This was important if you were running fire
pump, and wanted to provide the correct pressure at
the nozzle. I'm sure there are formulas for garden
hose. 3/4 would have less pressure loss than 1/2
inch. I do not know the formulas for garden hose.

Would you like the formulas for 2 1/2 or 3 inch
diameter fire hose?

--
..
Christopher A. Young