Posted to alt.home.repair

Default changing subject line to reflect the message body

On 12/31/2015 10:24 AM, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon was thinking very hard :
On 12/30/2015 8:54 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
It took you years before you learned where to type your reply --
either top or bottom. How long will it take you to learn how to either
reply to the original thread or start an entirely new thread WITH A
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUBJECT!

Also, the previous thread didn't start out about Lassie and drift to
plastic. You hijacked the farkin thread right out of the box. You're
becoming more like that son of a bitch at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. every
day -- It's not my fault!

By the way, Happy new year.

I think someone needs a hug.

(((((lol)))))

Life is no damn good, without a laugh now and again.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car Battery boost

Stormin Mormon brought next idea :
On 12/31/2015 10:42 AM, Eagle wrote:
Ed Pawlowski expressed precisely :

I'm jealous. Been a few years since a young lady wanted me to jump
her, but I'm happily married anyway.

So am I...47 years worth, but a young beauty wants a jump, who am I to
deny her?

I'm not even allowed to think about
such things. Another trip to confession.

Please enlighten Me on this 'confession' thing. Is it like the catholic
confession where you go into a booth and tell whoever is on the
otherside of the blind your latest thoughts on sex and other Creator
given pleasures?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 11:57 AM, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon brought next idea :
I'm not even allowed to think about
such things. Another trip to confession.

Please enlighten Me on this 'confession' thing. Is it like the catholic
confession where you go into a booth and tell whoever is on the
otherside of the blind your latest thoughts on sex and other Creator
given pleasures?

Mormons do confession, also. A Bishop or Stake
President is authorized to hear all the various
sins. He then guides the member as to what is
needed to receive forgiveness (from God, the
church, society). This is typically done in
a church office, over or across the corner of a
desk.

I'm using the expression a bit lightly. Which
isn't really proper, but I hope folks will
forgive my irreverance.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery boost

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 06:04:59 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

I bought one of these from Amazon.
http://preview.alturl.com/3fj27
I haven't tried it yet and can't remember why I chose it
over the others.

Its a good unit. Bought a "used once" ES2500 (300 Amp) from wife's
friend. Initial charge is 30 hours, but instructions say to leave it
plugged in all the time when not in use.

Used it around 20 times and works great.

Clore Automotive: http://www.cloreautomotive.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 19:10:26 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

Here is what Pat Goss and George Kurkowski have to say on this
topic...

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...y-jump-starter

The black unit he used is a DieHard.

http://www.diehard.com/products/chargers-and-portable-power#filter-lithium-ion

"TSA-friendly design for inflight charging"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 21:58:36 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Eagle wrote:
What do you recomend for a dead batery booster?

I just keep a good set of LONG jumpers in the car. If I have a problem, I hook
them up to my battery and look at passing cars with my thumb out hitchhiker
style. Of course, you can probably buy a new battery cheaper than one of those
gadgets.

And as cheap as a :good: set of long jumpers.
A 25 foot set of 1/0 cable is $250 just for the cable at $5 per foot,
and then you need good ends too.
A good set of Goodall 500 amp clams is about $75, so $325 for a set of
500 amp 25 foot cables.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 2:34:53 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/31/2015 11:57 AM, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon brought next idea :
I'm not even allowed to think about
such things. Another trip to confession.

Please enlighten Me on this 'confession' thing. Is it like the catholic
confession where you go into a booth and tell whoever is on the
otherside of the blind your latest thoughts on sex and other Creator
given pleasures?

Mormons do confession, also. A Bishop or Stake
President is authorized to hear all the various
sins. He then guides the member as to what is
needed to receive forgiveness (from God, the
church, society). This is typically done in
a church office, over or across the corner of a
desk.

You should be careful how you word your responses.

If one wanted to, one could read your response to
mean that "what is needed to receive forgiveness"
is "typically done in a church office, over or
across the corner of a desk."

Just exactly what the "this" in your last sentence
refers to is not clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mormon confessional clarified

On 12/31/2015 3:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 2:34:53 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/31/2015 11:57 AM, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon brought next idea :
I'm not even allowed to think about
such things. Another trip to confession.

Please enlighten Me on this 'confession' thing. Is it like the catholic
confession where you go into a booth and tell whoever is on the
otherside of the blind your latest thoughts on sex and other Creator
given pleasures?

Mormons do confession, also. A Bishop or Stake
President is authorized to hear all the various
sins. This [hearing] is typically done in
a church office, over or across the corner of a
desk.
He then guides the member as to what is
needed to receive forgiveness (from God, the
church, society).

You should be careful how you word your responses.

If one wanted to, one could read your response to
mean that "what is needed to receive forgiveness"
is "typically done in a church office, over or
across the corner of a desk."

Just exactly what the "this" in your last sentence
refers to is not clear.

Thank you, you are correct. I did a rewrite above,
and hope to be more clear.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

used his keyboard to write :
wrote:

Eagle wrote:
What do you recomend for a dead batery booster?

I just keep a good set of LONG jumpers in the car. If I have a problem, I
hook them up to my battery and look at passing cars with my thumb out
hitchhiker style. Of course, you can probably buy a new battery cheaper
than one of those gadgets.

And as cheap as a :good: set of long jumpers.
A 25 foot set of 1/0 cable is $250 just for the cable at $5 per foot,
and then you need good ends too.
A good set of Goodall 500 amp clams is about $75, so $325 for a set of
500 amp 25 foot cables.

I never pay more than $10.00 for jumper cables.

But they are not "good 25 foot" cables. Likely neither good nor 25
ft
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 16:17:19 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

I never pay more than $10.00 for jumper cables.

I pay a lot more than that for AAA to bring their jumper cables to me. ;-)

Really? State Farm comes out to tow Me or jump start Me for nothing.

....maybe you two guys need a jump :-))

Thinking about it, I can not ever recall needing road side service
from anyone but a kind ordinary person willing to help.

Micky jumped a lady recently, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 19:41:12 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 14:07:40 -0800, "Eagle"

used his keyboard to write :
wrote:

Eagle wrote:
What do you recomend for a dead batery booster?

I just keep a good set of LONG jumpers in the car. If I have a problem, I
hook them up to my battery and look at passing cars with my thumb out
hitchhiker style. Of course, you can probably buy a new battery cheaper
than one of those gadgets.

And as cheap as a :good: set of long jumpers.
A 25 foot set of 1/0 cable is $250 just for the cable at $5 per foot,
and then you need good ends too.
A good set of Goodall 500 amp clams is about $75, so $325 for a set of
500 amp 25 foot cables.

I never pay more than $10.00 for jumper cables.

But they are not "good 25 foot" cables. Likely neither good nor 25
ft

I always used thick cables to start carbureted cars - back in the day.
But letting thinner cables charge the dead battery for 5-10 minutes
works fine with fuel injection, assuming the car doesn't have other
problems.
The mistake many people make is not having a good connection on the
side mount battery terminals.
You have to make sure the alternator on the charging car has a load on
it. Until you hear that you're not connected. Not always easy to
hear if there's a lot of traffic around.
My cables are hanging in the garage, a 25' foot set of heavy and a 20'
set of medium. Haven't used them at least 10 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 6:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

My cables are hanging in the garage, a 25' foot set of heavy and a 20'
set of medium. Haven't used them at least 10 years.

Keep ours in the trunks of the cars. The first time the car
doesn't start, you check the date stamped on top of the battery.
If more than 3 years (regardless of the grade of battery), you
pull the battery and get it replaced. Batteries simply don't
last in the heat, here.

[And, if you buy a battery that covers the first 36 months
"in full" -- prorating after that -- you usually don't pay
for the replacement... or the replacement for the replacement...
or the replacement for the replacement for the replacement... : ]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 7:17 PM, Eagle wrote:
DerbyDad03 submitted this idea :

I pay a lot more than that for AAA to bring their jumper cables to me.
;-)

Really? State Farm comes out to tow Me or jump start Me for nothing.

How much does that free lunch cost you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 19:27:01 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/31/2015 6:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

My cables are hanging in the garage, a 25' foot set of heavy and a 20'
set of medium. Haven't used them at least 10 years.

Keep ours in the trunks of the cars. The first time the car
doesn't start, you check the date stamped on top of the battery.
If more than 3 years (regardless of the grade of battery), you
pull the battery and get it replaced. Batteries simply don't
last in the heat, here.

[And, if you buy a battery that covers the first 36 months
"in full" -- prorating after that -- you usually don't pay
for the replacement... or the replacement for the replacement...
or the replacement for the replacement for the replacement... : ]

I kept a pair in the trunk until maybe 5 years ago - old habit.
Came to realize I just don't need them. I've been getting at least 5
years from a battery. Never had one pro-rated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/31/2015 6:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

My cables are hanging in the garage, a 25' foot set of heavy and a 20'
set of medium. Haven't used them at least 10 years.

Keep ours in the trunks of the cars. The first time the car
doesn't start, you check the date stamped on top of the battery.
If more than 3 years (regardless of the grade of battery), you
pull the battery and get it replaced. Batteries simply don't
last in the heat, here.

[And, if you buy a battery that covers the first 36 months
"in full" -- prorating after that -- you usually don't pay
for the replacement... or the replacement for the replacement...
or the replacement for the replacement for the replacement... : ]

Unless the battery tests good - then you don't pay for (or get) a
replacement under warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 20:03:05 -0800, "Bob F"

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 14:07:40 -0800, "Eagle"

used his keyboard to write :
wrote:

Eagle wrote:
What do you recomend for a dead batery booster?

I just keep a good set of LONG jumpers in the car. If I have a
problem, I hook them up to my battery and look at passing cars
with my thumb out hitchhiker style. Of course, you can probably
buy a new battery cheaper than one of those gadgets.

And as cheap as a :good: set of long jumpers.
A 25 foot set of 1/0 cable is $250 just for the cable at $5 per
foot, and then you need good ends too.
A good set of Goodall 500 amp clams is about $75, so $325 for a set
of 500 amp 25 foot cables.

I never pay more than $10.00 for jumper cables.

But they are not "good 25 foot" cables. Likely neither good nor 25
ft

Mine are probably 12 footers, but good heavy duty ones. I bought them when I had
a surburban with a 350. Cheap jumpers had a hard time starting it. These didn't.
12 foot is all I'vew ever need. 25 footers? Seems like a waste. They'd have to
be so heavy to do the job, and would be a pain to store.

If you have to boost a car from behind, you need the long cables. Just
pull in the driveway behind, pull out the cables, connect and go.

I don't carry 25 footers any more either - but did for yeas when I was
in that business. On my Ramcharger I had plugs on the fender so I
didn't even nave to lift my hood
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/31/2015 6:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

My cables are hanging in the garage, a 25' foot set of heavy and a 20'
set of medium. Haven't used them at least 10 years.

Keep ours in the trunks of the cars. The first time the car
doesn't start, you check the date stamped on top of the battery.
If more than 3 years (regardless of the grade of battery), you
pull the battery and get it replaced. Batteries simply don't
last in the heat, here.

[And, if you buy a battery that covers the first 36 months
"in full" -- prorating after that -- you usually don't pay
for the replacement... or the replacement for the replacement...
or the replacement for the replacement for the replacement... : ]

I kept a pair in the trunk until maybe 5 years ago - old habit.
Came to realize I just don't need them. I've been getting at least 5
years from a battery. Never had one pro-rated.

First battery I bought, here, was like a 100 month battery.
Deader'n a doornail after ~4 years. Prorated value would still
have me shelling out $50 for another of the same.

So, since then, we've been buying $50 batteries at Costco.

Well, more accurately, we bought *one* $50 battery and have
been returning it every few years for a free replacement!
Anybody here with half a brain (and the ability to remove two
cables from a battery!) does the same sort of thing. The
heat just kills the batteries in short order.

Unfortunately, you never know if the battery is going to
give up the ghost in your garage (where the cables might be stored)
*or* somewhere away from home (where you'd have to rely on AAA,
etc.). So, I just lay the jumpers in the spare tire wheel
well "tracing" the outline of the spare. That way, I know where
to find them!

Heat also wreaks havoc on tires! Most (concrete) driveways are
covered with tire tracks -- as if someone had skidded on them (just
the rubber melting off the treads!)

[Women don't seem to understand the concept of NOT turning the
wheel unless the car is ROLLING!]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 7:49 PM, Oren wrote:

...maybe you two guys need a jump :-))

Thinking about it, I can not ever recall needing road side service
from anyone but a kind ordinary person willing to help.

Micky jumped a lady recently, right?

Those AAA guys have huge cables out front for
a reason, I'm sure.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren explained on 12/31/2015 :
wrote:

I never pay more than $10.00 for jumper cables.

I pay a lot more than that for AAA to bring their jumper cables to me. ;-)

Really? State Farm comes out to tow Me or jump start Me for nothing.

...maybe you two guys need a jump :-))

You offering? lol

Thinking about it, I can not ever recall needing road side service
from anyone but a kind ordinary person willing to help.

I've used the roadside service option a few times, and it's well worth
the yearly $30.00 for the service. I have to pay up front for whatever
I need, [tow, jump battery, etc] but get it back in mail. Most
insurance outfits offer this service.

Micky jumped a lady recently, right?

I wouldn't know, Oren...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski formulated on Thursday :
On 12/31/2015 7:17 PM, Eagle wrote:
DerbyDad03 submitted this idea :

I pay a lot more than that for AAA to bring their jumper cables to me.
;-)

Really? State Farm comes out to tow Me or jump start Me for nothing.

How much does that free lunch cost you?

$30.00 a year...coffee included. ^^
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote :
On 12/31/2015 6:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

My cables are hanging in the garage, a 25' foot set of heavy and a 20'
set of medium. Haven't used them at least 10 years.

Keep ours in the trunks of the cars. The first time the car
doesn't start, you check the date stamped on top of the battery.
If more than 3 years (regardless of the grade of battery), you
pull the battery and get it replaced. Batteries simply don't
last in the heat, here.

[And, if you buy a battery that covers the first 36 months
"in full" -- prorating after that -- you usually don't pay
for the replacement... or the replacement for the replacement...
or the replacement for the replacement for the replacement... : ]

The problem with jumper cables in the car/truck is you have to jump
from a second battery, and have to flag down a passing car/truck to
jump from. Here in So. Cal. that isn't a good idea due to the nut cases
here. This is the reason I am posting about "battery boosting", and
having that all important second battery to jump from.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 1:42:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 20:03:05 -0800, "Bob F"

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 14:07:40 -0800, "Eagle"

used his keyboard to write :
wrote:

Eagle wrote:
[...]

My daughter has her car parked in the garage of the house she rents at college while
she takes some roads trips with her sister. It'll be there for about 10 days. Had I known
that she was going to put it in the garage, I would have told her to back it in.

Since she didn't, I told her to try and start it the night before she needs it to get to school.
If it doesn't start, I told her to make sure she tells AAA that it is in a garage, front in, just to
ensure that they bring a booster pack or long cables.

The battery is less than 3 years old, so I don't think she'll have a problem, but I just want
her (and AAA) to be prepared so she's not late for her first day of the new semester. She's
got jumper cables in the kit I built for her, but they are not long ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren was thinking very hard :
wrote:

I bought one of these from Amazon.
http://preview.alturl.com/3fj27
I haven't tried it yet and can't remember why I chose it
over the others.

Its a good unit. Bought a "used once" ES2500 (300 Amp) from wife's
friend. Initial charge is 30 hours, but instructions say to leave it
plugged in all the time when not in use.

Used it around 20 times and works great.

Clore Automotive: http://www.cloreautomotive.com/

Interesting web site. Thanks Oren.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 7:18 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y wrote :
[...]

I've only once had to jump-start a car "on the road": when the
car we'd driven from Denver to Boston "died" 2 miles from the end
of the trip (alternator having given up the ghost sometime along the
way and battery finally exhausted).

Every other event has been while the car was parked -- in my
garage or at some "destination" -- just prior to setting out for
somewhere (returning home, headed off to work, etc.).

If at home, you go find a friendly neighbor. If at work, find
a workmate who's sympathetic. In a random parking lot, wait for
a passerby and hope for the best.

Likewise, every time I have had to jump someone else's vehicle,
it has been in a similar situation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 7:21 AM, Eagle wrote:

Unless the battery tests good - then you don't pay for (or get) a
replacement under warranty.

You've obviously never dealt with Costco! : They are very
customer friendly; drop off the battery, show proof of purchase,
go grab your replacement battery off the shelf -- and be sure
to take your *new* receipt for the NEXT return! :

Yep, and anything else you aren't happy with that came from Costco.

Here, batteries failing is *such* a common occurrence, that most
folks don't even bother to test the batteries.

I've had to rebuild the alternator several times on my car, in
the past (usually the bridge fails). I.e., in the past, I'd
always assume the alternator had given up the ghost taking the
battery down in the process. Amusingly, here, I've not had
to do that at all! Yet, have replaced the battery several
times!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 2:36 PM, Oren wrote:
Its a good unit. Bought a "used once" ES2500 (300 Amp) from wife's
friend. Initial charge is 30 hours, but instructions say to leave it
plugged in all the time when not in use.

Used it around 20 times and works great.

Clore Automotive: http://www.cloreautomotive.com/

My 2500 came from Napa Auto Parts. It cost
about $100, which is cheaper than the $75
Winchester / sport pac which is on its third
battery (at $65 per battery).

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 9:18 AM, Eagle wrote:
The problem with jumper cables in the car/truck is you have to jump from
a second battery, and have to flag down a passing car/truck to jump
from. Here in So. Cal. that isn't a good idea due to the nut cases here.
This is the reason I am posting about "battery boosting", and having
that all important second battery to jump from.

I'm with you. Hate to be stranded some where, when
I can grab the booster pack and get my own vehicle
going. So far, I've been very fortunate, had people
stop and offer help when I have needed it.

It helps to lift the hood, and stand in front of
the vehicle, holding the jumper clamps in left
hand like Statue of Liberty. Smile, and make
eye contact.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y expressed precisely :
On 1/1/2016 7:18 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y wrote :
[...]

Wouldn't it be more convenient to have a lithium booster in your glove
box to get you to a place with fresh batteries?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 10:13 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y expressed precisely :
On 1/1/2016 7:18 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y wrote :
[...]

How would that device fare with 140F interior temperatures?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 10:59:30 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/1/2016 9:18 AM, Eagle wrote:
The problem with jumper cables in the car/truck is you have to jump from
a second battery, and have to flag down a passing car/truck to jump
from. Here in So. Cal. that isn't a good idea due to the nut cases here..
This is the reason I am posting about "battery boosting", and having
that all important second battery to jump from.

I'm with you. Hate to be stranded some where, when
I can grab the booster pack and get my own vehicle
going. So far, I've been very fortunate, had people
stop and offer help when I have needed it.

It helps to lift the hood, and stand in front of
the vehicle, holding the jumper clamps in left
hand like Statue of Liberty. Smile, and make
eye contact.
--
.

When I helped a stranded motorist and they offered me money, I refused and told them to pay it forward because it could be me stranded one day. I've had some very good folks help me before which why I'm going to render aid even if all I can do is give someone a ride to a gas station or let them borrow my backup cellphone. I've yet to be kidnapped from the side of the road and raped by some beautiful bikini clad female nymphomaniacs on their way to Florida. Dammit! ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Disappointed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair