Nick

Default Any Way To Boost Hot Water Pressure

Hi. Currently I have a coal fired EFM stoker that is one zone with hot
water cast iron radiators which I love. My problem Is my hot water
pressure. Our town supply has older pipes to begin with and I have
newer installed all copper to city main. And copper throughout house.
But shouldn't the hot be at least the same pressure as the cold. Is
there a way to coax more or is the coil within the EFM leaking maybe
or is there a setting to increase the gravity pressure within the
house on a 2 story house that is to make more hot water come out
faster. Nick
Speedy Jim

Nick wrote:

Hi. Currently I have a coal fired EFM stoker that is one zone with hot
water cast iron radiators which I love. My problem Is my hot water
pressure. Our town supply has older pipes to begin with and I have
newer installed all copper to city main. And copper throughout house.
But shouldn't the hot be at least the same pressure as the cold. Is
there a way to coax more or is the coil within the EFM leaking maybe
or is there a setting to increase the gravity pressure within the
house on a 2 story house that is to make more hot water come out
faster. Nick

The domestic hot water (showers, etc.) is not related to the
pressure/flow in the heating system. The coil in the boiler
isolates the two.

If the coil is old, there is a good chance that it is clogged
with lime deposits.

Is there a tempering valve associated with the coil which might
be clogged or defective?

Jim
Nick

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:49:55 -0400, Speedy Jim wrote:

Nick wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim for Speedy reply as your name states. Actually I had an
acid wash performed through it about 14 months ago by a certified
plumber in part of my annual cleaning and inspection of unit and he
said all was fine. Now for the tempering valve. I'm not sure what you
mean or where is it on the system. I have a big valve on top what I
would call a gravity feed valve in case the circulation valve would
fail I guess. And on the back there is an Aquastat thermostat box and
a mixer valve which has always been shut between the cold intake and
outgoing hot. Other than that I have no idea. It is coal fed but that
would not make the difference as the water is hot enough just
pressure. Would a new coil help or can something be boosted to assist
in the pressure increase. Nick
Nick

Nick wrote:

[...]

Jim: Forgot there is a blow off valve which was replaced a few years
ago with the gauge reading an altimeter of 10-12 psi and the blow set
at around 20 it looks like. Is that what you mean. Nick
Speedy Jim

Nick wrote:

[...]

outgoing hot. " I'm just guessing, but this sounds like the
tempering valve. It's possible it's clogged, restricting flow,
but more likely is the coil. Acid wash is sometimes effective
but it can be hard to tell if it worked.

Oh, and the big valve on top is the pressure relief only for the
water inside the boiler, not for the domestic hot water.

Jim

mark Ransley

Old pipes can calcify reducing pressure I have had that problem.