Posted to alt.home.repair
Eagle[_6_] Eagle[_6_] is offline

Default Battery boost

Don Y expressed precisely :
On 1/1/2016 7:18 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y wrote :
On 12/31/2015 6:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

My cables are hanging in the garage, a 25' foot set of heavy and a 20'
set of medium. Haven't used them at least 10 years.

Keep ours in the trunks of the cars. The first time the car
doesn't start, you check the date stamped on top of the battery.
If more than 3 years (regardless of the grade of battery), you
pull the battery and get it replaced. Batteries simply don't
last in the heat, here.

[And, if you buy a battery that covers the first 36 months
"in full" -- prorating after that -- you usually don't pay
for the replacement... or the replacement for the replacement...
or the replacement for the replacement for the replacement... : ]

The problem with jumper cables in the car/truck is you have to jump from a
second battery, and have to flag down a passing car/truck to jump from.
Here in
So. Cal. that isn't a good idea due to the nut cases here. This is the
reason I
am posting about "battery boosting", and having that all important second
battery to jump from.

I've only once had to jump-start a car "on the road": when the
car we'd driven from Denver to Boston "died" 2 miles from the end
of the trip (alternator having given up the ghost sometime along the
way and battery finally exhausted).

Every other event has been while the car was parked -- in my
garage or at some "destination" -- just prior to setting out for
somewhere (returning home, headed off to work, etc.).

If at home, you go find a friendly neighbor. If at work, find
a workmate who's sympathetic. In a random parking lot, wait for
a passerby and hope for the best.

Likewise, every time I have had to jump someone else's vehicle,
it has been in a similar situation.

Wouldn't it be more convenient to have a lithium booster in your glove
box to get you to a place with fresh batteries?