Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Battery boost

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 1:42:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 20:03:05 -0800, "Bob F"

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 14:07:40 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

used his keyboard to write :
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 21:58:36 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Eagle wrote:
What do you recomend for a dead batery booster?

I just keep a good set of LONG jumpers in the car. If I have a
problem, I hook them up to my battery and look at passing cars
with my thumb out hitchhiker style. Of course, you can probably
buy a new battery cheaper than one of those gadgets.

And as cheap as a :good: set of long jumpers.
A 25 foot set of 1/0 cable is $250 just for the cable at $5 per
foot, and then you need good ends too.
A good set of Goodall 500 amp clams is about $75, so $325 for a set
of 500 amp 25 foot cables.

I never pay more than $10.00 for jumper cables.
But they are not "good 25 foot" cables. Likely neither good nor 25
ft

Mine are probably 12 footers, but good heavy duty ones. I bought them when I had
a surburban with a 350. Cheap jumpers had a hard time starting it. These didn't.
12 foot is all I'vew ever need. 25 footers? Seems like a waste. They'd have to
be so heavy to do the job, and would be a pain to store.

If you have to boost a car from behind, you need the long cables. Just
pull in the driveway behind, pull out the cables, connect and go.

My daughter has her car parked in the garage of the house she rents at college while
she takes some roads trips with her sister. It'll be there for about 10 days. Had I known
that she was going to put it in the garage, I would have told her to back it in.

Since she didn't, I told her to try and start it the night before she needs it to get to school.
If it doesn't start, I told her to make sure she tells AAA that it is in a garage, front in, just to
ensure that they bring a booster pack or long cables.

The battery is less than 3 years old, so I don't think she'll have a problem, but I just want
her (and AAA) to be prepared so she's not late for her first day of the new semester. She's
got jumper cables in the kit I built for her, but they are not long ones.