Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preventing paint from freezing in garage

Hi,
I'm finishing my basement and will have to permanently move my collection of paint, joint compound etc, from (the climate controlled) basement storage into the unheated stand-alone garage. To give an idea of amount, it's currently stored on a very full 3ft wide x 5ft tall bookshelf in the basement. I'll certainly get rid of the junk, but most is useful.

What do folks typically do to keep their paint and equipment from freezing in an unheated garage... without risking starting a fire?

Thanks
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/20/2015 4:08 PM, Oren wrote:

I hear paint has a _shelf life_, where it is no longer "good". Have a
5 gallon unopened bucket 9 years old and I'd hate to throw it out for
the time being. It must be good for something.

I've used some oil-based exterior paint that had to have been 40 year
old that Dad bought closeout stock from local farmers' Co-op when they
closed the retail store. It was, as far as I can tell, as good as new,
both in application and in holding power (it's been almost 10 year now
since first that used and I can't tell it from the other that was new at
the time).

I've also quite a stock of going-on-10 yr-old latex from the barn refurb
that got sidetracked, also that seems no worse for wear; no reason to
think as long as it stays sealed any different.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2015 2:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/20/2015 3:18 PM, wrote:
Hi,
I'm finishing my basement and will have to permanently move my
collection of paint, joint compound etc, from (the climate controlled)
basement storage into the unheated stand-alone garage. To give an
idea of amount, it's currently stored on a very full 3ft wide x 5ft
tall bookshelf in the basement. I'll certainly get rid of the junk,
but most is useful.

What do folks typically do to keep their paint and equipment from
freezing in an unheated garage... without risking starting a fire?

I recall reading a "tip" a number of years ago that might solve this
very problem. Author of the tip suggested that you take an old worn
out, non-working, refrigerator or, better yet, an upright freezer and
install a 40w bulb in a protective globe (you know what I mean, the
socket and bulb are within a glass jar and maybe that is protected by a
wire cage - at least, you get the idea of protecting it) and simply load
the shelves with your paints, varnish, etc. and during the cold weather
turn on the light. Supposedly that single bulb will be enough to keep
the interior temperature above freezing.

And risk a fire from the bulb. Does not sound
workable. I can't think of any answer.

Perhaps because you didn't read the entire suggestion?

"...install a 40w bulb in a protective globe" (to lessen the risk of
breakage and so if it DOES break, it won't set fire to those steel
containersg

Also, can anyone tell us the three elements necessary to sustain a fire?

Okay, an easy one then... why are there laws requiring the removal of
doors from discarded refrigerators and freezers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2015 2:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And risk a fire from the bulb. Does not sound
workable. I can't think of any answer.

Perhaps because you didn't read the entire suggestion?

"...install a 40w bulb in a protective globe" (to lessen the risk of
breakage and so if it DOES break, it won't set fire to those steel
containersg

Also, can anyone tell us the three elements necessary to sustain a fire?

Okay, an easy one then... why are there laws requiring the removal of
doors from discarded refrigerators and freezers?

Yep, risk of fire. So, this doesn't meet the OP
list of criterion.

I've heard those French made Criterion vehicles
don't start well in unheated garages in winter.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2015 2:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
And risk a fire from the bulb. Does not sound
workable. I can't think of any answer.

Perhaps because you didn't read the entire suggestion?

"...install a 40w bulb in a protective globe" (to lessen the risk of
breakage and so if it DOES break, it won't set fire to those steel
containersg

Also, can anyone tell us the three elements necessary to sustain a fire?

Okay, an easy one then... why are there laws requiring the removal of
doors from discarded refrigerators and freezers?

When I took some fire protection courses, there
were FOUR elements.

Removing doors makes it easier for the trashers.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:41:11 -0600, dpb wrote:

I've used some oil-based exterior paint that had to have been 40 year
old that Dad bought closeout stock from local farmers' Co-op when they
closed the retail store. It was, as far as I can tell, as good as new,
both in application and in holding power (it's been almost 10 year now
since first that used and I can't tell it from the other that was new at
the time).

I've also quite a stock of going-on-10 yr-old latex from the barn refurb
that got sidetracked, also that seems no worse for wear; no reason to
think as long as it stays sealed any different.

One problem with storing Latex paint is that the metal cans rust thru.
Then paint leaks all over the place. Even if they dont leak, the rust
can spread on the walls when you use the stuff, leaving streaks of rust.
I see more plastic paint cans these days. I think that's a good thing.

Oil paints never rusted the cans, so there was no issues with metal
cans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:41:11 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/20/2015 4:08 PM, Oren wrote:

I hear paint has a _shelf life_, where it is no longer "good". Have a
5 gallon unopened bucket 9 years old and I'd hate to throw it out for
the time being. It must be good for something.

I've used some oil-based exterior paint that had to have been 40 year
old that Dad bought closeout stock from local farmers' Co-op when they
closed the retail store. It was, as far as I can tell, as good as new,
both in application and in holding power (it's been almost 10 year now
since first that used and I can't tell it from the other that was new at
the time).

I've also quite a stock of going-on-10 yr-old latex from the barn refurb
that got sidetracked, also that seems no worse for wear; no reason to
think as long as it stays sealed any different.

Thanks. Comforting to know. Tried to sell the sealed plastic bucket
of latex at a yard sale. I'll keep it, mix it well and strain it
when I do open it. (latex elstomeric stucco paint)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/21/2015 4:07 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:41:11 -0600, wrote:

I've also quite a stock of going-on-10 yr-old latex from the barn refurb
that got sidetracked, also that seems no worse for wear; no reason to
think as long as it stays sealed any different.

Thanks. Comforting to know. Tried to sell the sealed plastic bucket
of latex at a yard sale. I'll keep it, mix it well and strain it
when I do open it. (latex elstomeric stucco paint)

I (re)discovered a partial container of latex exterior in nothing more
than one of the snap-lid Folger's coffee containers that had been there
for probably a year just a week ago. It hadn't even skimmed over the
top to my great surprise. Was roughly a third full; so wasn't even the
excuse of no significant air volume to 'splain it...

The storage area is nothing at all special -- it's the well house, a
roughly 10X14 block building that holds the pressure tank and at one
time surrounded the well. There's no cooling in summers, a small gas
heater that keeps it to about 50F minimum during winter. It does stay
reasonably cool in summer owing to the pressure tank water volume and
that it has only a single relatively small east-facing window and
doesn't get any traffic to speak of so doesn't introduce outside air
frequently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 16:18:01 -0600, dpb wrote:

[...]

I guess that proves Folgers coffee is safe inside the can.
Appears the can does seal air-tight then....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Dec 2015 17:29:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

I live in an arid desert clime - Yuma AZ. Out in the rural areas it
freezes still here too - once in a while.

Many folks do not realize just how cold a desert can get at night
after the sun goes down. Never had paint freeze in the garage though.
Outside exposed pipes, yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 5:11:20 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Coffee containers keep getting smaller...years ago the largest can was 48 oz. now, 24 oz. may be the norm. You're not getting a gallon of liquid in there!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2015 4:57 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:13:29 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
Okay, an easy one then... why are there laws requiring the removal of
doors from discarded refrigerators and freezers?

Um, to keep future Democrats from suffocating themselves. What does
this have to do with fire? Oh, I get it now. Never mind.

They grow up and become arsonists.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 15:02:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon

On 12/20/2015 3:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

We did that to keep welding rods dry.
If using for paint you would want a thermostat to shut off the light
when it got too warm. (Mabee a thermocube inside the fridge)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 16:39:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon

On 12/21/2015 2:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
And risk a fire from the bulb. Does not sound
workable. I can't think of any answer.

Perhaps because you didn't read the entire suggestion?

"...install a 40w bulb in a protective globe" (to lessen the risk of
breakage and so if it DOES break, it won't set fire to those steel
containersg

Also, can anyone tell us the three elements necessary to sustain a fire?

Okay, an easy one then... why are there laws requiring the removal of
doors from discarded refrigerators and freezers?

When I took some fire protection courses, there
were FOUR elements.

Removing doors makes it easier for the trashers.

No, it prevents kids, hobos, and others from suffocating in them.
That is why it is LAW.

The 4 elements?

fuel, oxygen, ignition source and what else????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 10:39:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
If using for paint you would want a thermostat to shut off the light
when it got too warm. (Mabee a thermocube inside the fridge)

Hi, I'm the OP. I'm in the Northeast, so my uninsulated detached garage has no guarantee to remain above freezing during a brutal winter. Thermocube sounds interesting. I'm still very wary of rigging a low-grade heater and plugging it in and leaving it unattended for weeks/months while it gently warms a closet or container or old fridge full of somewhat volatile chemicals (i.e. paints), but I think what most folks are saying is my choice is either this, or find SOMEWHERE ELSE in the basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2015 3:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

It's all about the children.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/21/2015 5:20 PM, bob_villain wrote:

Coffee containers keep getting smaller...years ago the largest can
was 48 oz. now, 24 oz. may be the norm. You're not getting a gallon
of liquid in there!

Never said was...it was simply a smaller container to use from at the
time--probably never was more than half full to begin with. The source
was one of the 5-gal pails for the barn; clearly not convenient to paint
directly from for a small touchup job.

The only reason for mentioning was the surprise that it was still
pristine with nothing more than that as a container; I've tried using
those same containers for other purposes and if left in the KS sun they
turn to brittle nothing in a very few months. I'd not have expected the
snap-on lid to have been anywhere nearly as effective as it has been nor
even that the plastic itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/21/2015 12:05 PM, bob_villain wrote:

Useful for what? Paint isn't *that* expensive that you've got a sizeable
"investment" tucked away, there.

Paint certainly isn't _in_expensive any longer...last gallon of
"inexpensive" exterior latex I bought was over $30 and that was a "store
brand". The paint bill for the barn was $8K; don't think I'll be
tossing the rest before we finally get around to finishing it up (and
that was w/ a decent discount from one of the box outlets a number of
years ago; would probably be 50% more now, at least).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 8:24:23 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:
On 12/21/2015 5:20 PM, bob_villain wrote:

Coffee containers keep getting smaller...years ago the largest can
was 48 oz. now, 24 oz. may be the norm. You're not getting a gallon
of liquid in there!

Never said was...it was simply a smaller container to use from at the
time--probably never was more than half full to begin with. The source
was one of the 5-gal pails for the barn; clearly not convenient to paint
directly from for a small touchup job.

This was an FYI about the Folger's jug being the same as paint containers...nothing to do with you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 8:30:45 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:
On 12/21/2015 12:05 PM, bob_villain wrote:

Useful for what? Paint isn't *that* expensive that you've got a sizeable
"investment" tucked away, there.

Paint certainly isn't _in_expensive any longer...last gallon of
"inexpensive" exterior latex I bought was over $30 and that was a "store
brand". The paint bill for the barn was $8K; don't think I'll be
tossing the rest before we finally get around to finishing it up (and
that was w/ a decent discount from one of the box outlets a number of
years ago; would probably be 50% more now, at least).

--

You are misquoting...this is from DonY! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯