Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Preventing paint from freezing in garage

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 15:44:35 -0600, wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:41:11 -0600, dpb wrote:

I've used some oil-based exterior paint that had to have been 40 year
old that Dad bought closeout stock from local farmers' Co-op when they
closed the retail store. It was, as far as I can tell, as good as new,
both in application and in holding power (it's been almost 10 year now
since first that used and I can't tell it from the other that was new at
the time).

I've also quite a stock of going-on-10 yr-old latex from the barn refurb
that got sidetracked, also that seems no worse for wear; no reason to
think as long as it stays sealed any different.

One problem with storing Latex paint is that the metal cans rust thru.
Then paint leaks all over the place. Even if they dont leak, the rust
can spread on the walls when you use the stuff, leaving streaks of rust.
I see more plastic paint cans these days. I think that's a good thing.

Oil paints never rusted the cans, so there was no issues with metal
cans.

Awe shucks. Can't remember the last time I bought paint in metal cans,
except a spray can - they never had time to rust.