Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preventing paint from freezing in garage

On 12/20/2015 3:18 PM, wrote:
Hi,
I'm finishing my basement and will have to permanently move my
collection of paint, joint compound etc, from (the climate controlled)
basement storage into the unheated stand-alone garage. To give an
idea of amount, it's currently stored on a very full 3ft wide x 5ft
tall bookshelf in the basement. I'll certainly get rid of the junk,
but most is useful.

What do folks typically do to keep their paint and equipment from
freezing in an unheated garage... without risking starting a fire?

I recall reading a "tip" a number of years ago that might solve this
very problem. Author of the tip suggested that you take an old worn
out, non-working, refrigerator or, better yet, an upright freezer and
install a 40w bulb in a protective globe (you know what I mean, the
socket and bulb are within a glass jar and maybe that is protected by a
wire cage - at least, you get the idea of protecting it) and simply load
the shelves with your paints, varnish, etc. and during the cold weather
turn on the light. Supposedly that single bulb will be enough to keep
the interior temperature above freezing.

And risk a fire from the bulb. Does not sound
workable. I can't think of any answer.

--
..
Christopher A. Young