Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Powered Computer Speakers - No Sound

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 13:25:22 -0600, wrote:

I have a pair of Powered Computer Speakers JBL brand. They worked fine,
and suddenly there is no sound. I did not blow them by too high volume,
in fact they were shut off, and when I turned them on, they did not
work. (I normally have them shut off, since I dont like a "noisy
computer". I only turn them on to play MP3 songs, or to watch a video.

They are powered from a wall transformer, which apparently is working
because when I push the "ON" button, the light lights up, and I hear a
slight click in the speakers.

But they dont play the sound coming from the computer. (Yes, they are in
the correct plug on the computer). Thinking there was a problem with the
computer audio, I plugged these speakers into another computer (which I
know has working audio). Still no sound. I also know that normally,
touching the tip of the cord (speaker input wire that goes to the
computer), that a hum is heard. Now, there is no hum.

I'm assuming that there is an amplifier board inside the speakers, and

Don't assume. What OS do you have?

Do you have a front sound out jack. Plug the speakers into that
instead. Does it work now?

Do you have a pair of headphones with the right jack or an adapter so
they will fit. Plug them in. Do they work?

What OS do you have?

it must have somehow died. I have not yet attempted to open them. It

It seems more likely to me that the wire inside the cord has broken
than that the amplifier died.

What OS do you have?

looks like there is a screw on the bottom, hidden behind the stand.
Whether that will open it, is questionable.

I suppose I should just buy new speakers, but these were good sounding
and quite expensive, so I'd like to see if they can be fixed. Have any
of you ever repaired these things? Is there an actual amplifier board,
or is it just a chip? I have my doubts about finding any replacement
parts, unless it's just a capacitor or power supply diode. Or, might
there be a fuse???

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:n0723b9ootlunlfmtck3k8088oag54ip2n@
4ax.com:

[...]

try and lower the bit rate in audio properties.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 2:26:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Before I looked any further, I'd try one more test. Plug a pair of
headphones into the jack where you normally plug the speakers and ensure
that you have sound at the jack.

I know you mentioned "another computer which you know has working audio"
but I'd stick with the system you are using and be 100% sure it's not the
system itself. A different computer adds a another variable. There's no
need for that - yet. First eliminate the original system as the root cause.

Do you have an audio extension cord between the computer and the speakers?
I do and I once found that it had gotten disconnected behind the desk. I
discovered this *after* I determined that the computer was fine by using
a pair of headphones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2015 3:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

Did you confirm your computer output,
with a different set of speakers? I lost
audio one time, and had to reinstall the
audio drivers from the CD that came with
the computer.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:03:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Did you confirm your computer output,
with a different set of speakers? I lost
audio one time, and had to reinstall the
audio drivers from the CD that came with
the computer.

When I moved to Win7 I actually had to switch the cables to other
jacks on the sound card (reverse?). Altec Lansing powered speakers.
Not sure why but the solution was on the Internet. Device Manager is
another place to look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2015 03:39 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:50:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

There is no extension, and it was plugged directly into computer. While
the cord could have a break, it's highly doubtful since the wire has not
been moved around, it's just been plugged into the computer and not
disturbed. I dont own any headphones. I never could stand them. I do
have a pair of battery powered mini speakers somewhere around here (for
a laptop). When I find them, I'll try them. Either way, if you read the
part where I sand there is no hum when I touch the tip of the plug, that
alone says the speakers are dead.

If there is no hum then indeed they are dead and not worth fooling with
any more except for one thing:

This is very rare but I've seen it twice now...
the power brick has failed but not completely. Enough power to turn on a
light but the voltage drops under load.

Possible that's what happened but not likely

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I can now see that these speakers cant be opened without destroying
them. I took out that screw behind the stand, and the 2 halves of the
plastic case wont separate. I drove a screwdriver into the crack and it
will not pry apart. It appears that there may be more screws under the
cloth over the front of the case, and that cloth is not removable. So
either I start making holes in the cloth or just toss them, and buy new
speakers. Just more disposible crap that can not be repaired.....

I think it's time to go shopping!!!

By the way, they look like this.
http://eclecticreseller.com/index.ph...f4757b266ca5da

Posted to alt.home.repair

Everybody everybody!!

Orig. Poster: Quickly the speakers into
your smartphone or music player and plays
something through it! Sheez!

If you actually hear music through those
speakers, then your computer/OS is
suspect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RP,

Assuming a Windows OS, there is some sort of audio control panel. Go
under the control panel, find it and see if it's set up to run your
speakers. This control panel should say SOUND. There may also be a control
panel for your sound card. Play with the various controls.
Google your speakers to see if they may be opened easily.
Got a voltmeter? What's your power supply voltage? Check the continuity
of the input cable.
Cheap speakers aree always available on CraigsList.

Dave M.

/
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 14:36:00 -0400, Micky
wrote:

[...]

First things first - confirm the computer is producing sound in
headphones. If not make suere speakers are not muted. Sometimes
removing and replacing the audio drivers is required. IF you have
sound in the headphones it is a speaker problem. Many GOOD speakers
have detachable audio cables - the cable could be bad (or plugged into
the wrong jack on the speaker - or even the computer)

An alternative way to test is to plug the speakers into the headphone
jack of any portable audio source - like an MP# player.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There is almost always a way to open them. I'd bet, gently prying up the
grill will reveal some screws ... if indeed there are no other screws. I
once heard of an old film camera that had no screws. But, if you turned
the film wind know, which had a small hole in it, to a particular spot,
and looked into the hole, there was a screw behind the knob. That screw
opened the camera body.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had this happen many times.

Almost always it was fixable from the control panel. Somehow the sound settings got changed.

I have actual stereo amps connected to the laptops. Watch yard sales, you can get a good older one for $5 to $10 now that everybody wants 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the first thing to do is to unplug and then
replug in all cords.

sometimes a cord may look connected, but can
get some oxidation, dust or gunk in it which
stops conductivity.

worth a shot.

a blown fuse is another option, some manufacturers
make it easy to replace them and others don't.

also, if you are trying to open the units see if
there is a manual on-line for them (often there is
or for similar units) so you can see how to open them
easily. those little rubber footies underneath often
can hide connectors...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

p.s. check your mute settings for the global sound
and for the speakers themselves. sometimes things
get clicked when you're not looking...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 09:44:38 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

There is almost always a way to open them. I'd bet, gently prying up the
grill will reveal some screws ... if indeed there are no other screws. I
once heard of an old film camera that had no screws. But, if you turned
the film wind know, which had a small hole in it, to a particular spot,
and looked into the hole, there was a screw behind the knob. That screw
opened the camera body.

I got it apart. The whole grill comes off. The cloth is attached to a
plastic frame and it all pops off. Under there are 4 screws, (plus that
obvious rear screw on the back). 5 screws total and it came apart.

As far as testing it. The wall module is marked 12VDC. It measures 15.5
volts, with or without the power switch turned on. That's pretty normal,
since a car's battery voltage is about the same. (I'm using an analog
VOM meter).

Placing the black lead on a known ground, I am seeing a voltage at
random places on the circuit board, such as resistor leads. There are
two IC chips on the board, one smaller one (Preamp), one larger one with
a heat sink, (Audio Output). The heat sink gets warm if the power is
left turned on for awhile. Of course I have no schematic so I cant
actually do any actual testing, and ICs are generally near impossible to
find replacements for.

Other tests: The input cord has a resistance on both L & R channels to
the tip of the cord (with my meter on 1K ohm scale). So that tells me
the cord is ok. The actual speaker inside of the case clicks when I
touch my test leads to the terminals (with circuit board wires unplugged
from it). That indicates the actual speaker is ok.

There are no visual bad parts such as a charred part(s) or bulging
capacitors, and from what I can see on that tiny board, there are no
loose solder joints or cracks in the board.

This pretty much tells me that the amplifier circuit (board) is bad.
Probably one of the chips failed. I'm not sure why the output chip heat
sink is getting warm with no sound coming out of it. That may be the
failed part, or maybe the preamp chip????? Either way, I now know it's
the board itself, and without a schematic and all sorts of testing
devices, it's not really possible to test any further. (Nor worth my
time).

I'll have to go on craigslist and find some new speakers.

I'm going to save the actual speakers from these. They may come in handy
for some other use.

It's kind of weird how this speaker was working fine the last time I
used it. I turned it off, and when I turned it on, it was dead. Nothing
was disturbed. But I suppose some part died, either a IC chip or
capacitor (most likely).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Power surges kill electronics. They often fail on turn-on. The chips
are generally pretty generic and not too hard to find, but if it's
more than the chip you've wasted the time and money on the chip. And
remember - JBL - Junky But Loud ( what all the local audio engineers
call them)

What is the number on the chip?
Likely something like an LM4732 or a tda2822
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 18:11:13 -0400, wrote:

Power surges kill electronics. They often fail on turn-on. The chips
are generally pretty generic and not too hard to find, but if it's
more than the chip you've wasted the time and money on the chip. And
remember - JBL - Junky But Loud ( what all the local audio engineers
call them)

What is the number on the chip?
Likely something like an LM4732 or a tda2822

I sort of thought about a power surge......

The output chip is under the tin heat sink, and that is soldered to the
board. So I cant read the numbers. The preamp chip looks like it's
BA455B. I.m old, so my eyes are not that good anymore. That alone would
make it hard to remove and solder in a new chip. On top of that, Ebay
has many speakers of a similar type for $10 or less, with free
shipping.*NEW* (Buy it Now). Or for around $20 I can get a pair with a
subwoofer added. By the time I get the chip(s), I'd probably pay that
much, and there is no guarantee it would work. So, I'm just going to
salvage the speakers themselves and toss the rest of it. (I'll save the
12vdc wall transformer too). No sense wasting anymore time on these when
I can get new ones for around $10. I hate tossing stuff that can be
fixed, but this is not worth my time or the money.

I looked on Craigslist too, but nothing was nearby. No sense burning $20
or more for gas to drive many miles either.

At least I now know that it's the board itself that's shot, and there is
no sense messing with it anymore.

I should mention that these speakers always were staticy. When there was
no music playing, I always heard some static noise and even some popping
sound, which got annoying at times. Kind of makes me think a part was
failing. I'd suspect a bad capacitor more than anything, knowing the
problems caused by caps these days. And when it died, it killed both
channels too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Remember the "J" of JBL.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 12:11:39 -0400, songbird
wrote:

p.s. check your mute settings for the global sound
and for the speakers themselves. sometimes things
get clicked when you're not looking...

That was certainly a problem in XP. I posted in the XP group about
the .wav sound getting muted several times even though I did nothing.
It turned out to have something to do with closing Skype. iirc

But that's why I asked about the OS. With Vista and higher, double
click on the speaker in the systray and you can see the volume going
up and down in the little box that opens.

In addition, right click on the speaker and open up Playback Devices.
Each device has a volume/amplitude meter, but only one will show
sound. If he's lucky, that will be the one that has the speakers
plugged into it, but that's not guaranteed. If somehow it changed to
other output, no sound will come out of the speakers.

songbird

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 05:12:15 -0600, wrote:

So what brand is halfway decent? I know something like Bose is top pf
the line, but I'm not spending $100 to $250. I see a lot of Insignia,
Logitec, and Vibe on Ebay. I dont want another JBL considering how it
fried.

I bought these a couple months ago for my PC. Replaced a set twice as
big and with a big separate sub-woofer. Really cleared up my desk.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o02_s00

They are USB powered, have good sound. Heavy metal cases, but small.
About 5x5. 2 1/2 wide. Sub-woofers have good bass.

And I bought these a couple weeks ago, for my wife's PC.

They are powered by AC, and also have good sound. Plastic cases,
light, and about half the size of the other ones. No sub-woofer.

I can recommend both of the above. The first one is better to my ears
because of the sub-woofers. You can read the reviews on both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 3:48:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Anyhow, I'm a little concerned about using speakers that run off USB
power, and having my system crash because of high power requirements on
peak music output levels..... Just a thought!!!

You're correct...you should avoid USB and adapter powered unless you have minimum requirements. I bought a Logitech w/sub (p/s built-in) for $5 at a garage sale.
[Max. current: 0.5 A (USB 2.0), 0.9 A (USB 3.0 & 3.1)]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 05:49:54 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

I bought these a couple months ago for my PC. Replaced a set twice as
big and with a big separate sub-woofer. Really cleared up my desk.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o02_s00

They are USB powered, have good sound. Heavy metal cases, but small.
About 5x5. 2 1/2 wide. Sub-woofers have good bass.

And I bought these a couple weeks ago, for my wife's PC.

They are powered by AC, and also have good sound. Plastic cases,
light, and about half the size of the other ones. No sub-woofer.

I can recommend both of the above. The first one is better to my ears
because of the sub-woofers. You can read the reviews on both.

Thanks for the links. I do tend to question the USB powered ones though.
Computers only have limited power, and I found that out when my power
supply fried on one of my computers some years ago. The OEM power supply
was only 100W. I added several hard drives and other devices and it
fried. I replaced it with a 300W supply.

Anyhow, my JBL speakers that just died, had a wall transformer rated at
12Vdc at 1 amp. A fairly hefty transformer and rather large in size. It
would seem to me that a computer power supply would need to be pretty
hefty too. I know that before that 100W P.S. fried, my computer would
constantly crash. After replacing the P.S. my crash problems ceased.
Apparently my CPU and main board was not getting adaquate power, and
thus it would crash the system.

Anyhow, I'm a little concerned about using speakers that run off USB
power, and having my system crash because of high power requirements on
peak music output levels..... Just a thought!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How many watts do you want? USB2 unit load is 100ma, and the
computer can supply 5 unit loads - or 500ma total - so a USB power amp
can only consume 2.5 watts of power - so can not output more than 2.5
watts of music power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

100W PSU? My desktop has 750W PSU. That must be real old box.
Ever since I got free bee Beats Bluetooth headphones I never use
speakers(Yamaha brand). Being advanced amateur musician I can't stand
poor sound coming out of cheap stuffs.

thus it would crash the system.

Anyhow, I'm a little concerned about using speakers that run off USB
power, and having my system crash because of high power requirements on
peak music output levels..... Just a thought!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You jinxed me!

I pulled a set of old computer speakers out of storage to put in my window
so the Trick or Treaters can have some Halloween music. (Pandora, Halloween
Party). The music goes along with my decorated yard.

There's a powered sub-woofer box and 2 speakers. I plugged the 12V DC adapter
into the sub-woofer box and...nothing. No power light on the box. I moved
the box and heard a buzz as the powered light flashed and then went out. A
wiggle here, a jiggle there and the power light goes on and off.

I opened the box and found a bad solder joint where the power connector
connects to the board. A quick and easy fix.

The spooky tunes are playing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

USB speakers.. the WORST idea since
power windows & door locks in cars!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 14:23:38 -0600, wrote:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 18:14:41 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

USB speakers.. the WORST idea since
power windows & door locks in cars!

Those two are great. Especially when you're the only one in the car
and you want to lower the top and all the windows.

Or you want to unlock the passenger door without crawling over the
center console. Or you want to lock all the doors when you leave the
car.

I wont be buying any of them. Why should I buy a powered hub, or install
a bigger power supply, when I can just buy speakers that plug into a
wall outlet.

The powered hub suggestion was for a broader set of usb devices than
just usb speakers. You had expressed concern that usb speakers would
use too much current. How much more so a USB harddrive, USB camera,
USB keyboard receiver, etc?

Even if I did add a bigger PSU,

I don't see any reason to get a bigger power supply unit.

I'd be concerned about the USB plug
burning out from such a high current draw thru small wires.

I don't think that's possible. Whatever powers the USB jacks is
limited in power, and not enough to burn out the wires.

USB is for
powering low current draw stuff, like portable drives, keyboards, and so
on.

I agree about the power windows and locks too. I had a car that had both
and by the time I got rid of that car, only one window opened. I refused
to pay over $300 per door to have them fixed. The parts alone were

All my cars for the last 27 years have had PW and PL, and never any
trouble. I think sometimes people park under trees that are losing
their leaves and the leaves get in the doors and turn into sludge that
keeps the water from draining out of the doors. That can be bad for
PW. The one time I heard water sloshing around in a door, I pulled
down the rubber cover and let the water drain.

around $150. At least the locks still had the manual buttons, or I could
have been trapped in the car when the alternator quit, and I got most of
the way home on the battery before it died too.

I avoid buying any car with that junk now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2015 12:19 AM, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 14:23:38 wrote:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 18:14:41 -0800 wrote:

USB speakers.. the WORST idea since
power windows & door locks in cars!

Those two are great. Especially when you're the only one in the car
and you want to lower the top and all the windows.

Or you want to unlock the passenger door without crawling over the
center console. Or you want to lock all the doors when you leave the
car.

Power door locks are great when you have to drive through the bad side of town.
(They keep the hookers from jumping into your car at a red light.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Arnie, Micky:

Very simple: Make sure the other three
doors(or one if its a coupe) are locked
before you settle in to drive off. Then
lock your driver's.

In both mine and my wife's sedans, putting
them in park unlocks only the front doors -
regardless of what position we put the
"child-proof" switches. And believe me, it
took 15 years of combined ownership of
cars with power door locks & windows to
finally say I'm SICK OF THIS CRAP!