Posted to alt.home.repair
Snoker Wead Snoker Wead is offline

Default Powered Computer Speakers - No Sound

wrote in news:n0723b9ootlunlfmtck3k8088oag54ip2n@
4ax.com:

I have a pair of Powered Computer Speakers JBL brand. They worked fine,
and suddenly there is no sound. I did not blow them by too high volume,
in fact they were shut off, and when I turned them on, they did not
work. (I normally have them shut off, since I dont like a "noisy
computer". I only turn them on to play MP3 songs, or to watch a video.

They are powered from a wall transformer, which apparently is working
because when I push the "ON" button, the light lights up, and I hear a
slight click in the speakers.

But they dont play the sound coming from the computer. (Yes, they are

in
the correct plug on the computer). Thinking there was a problem with

the
computer audio, I plugged these speakers into another computer (which I
know has working audio). Still no sound. I also know that normally,
touching the tip of the cord (speaker input wire that goes to the
computer), that a hum is heard. Now, there is no hum.

I'm assuming that there is an amplifier board inside the speakers, and
it must have somehow died. I have not yet attempted to open them. It
looks like there is a screw on the bottom, hidden behind the stand.
Whether that will open it, is questionable.

I suppose I should just buy new speakers, but these were good sounding
and quite expensive, so I'd like to see if they can be fixed. Have any
of you ever repaired these things? Is there an actual amplifier board,
or is it just a chip? I have my doubts about finding any replacement
parts, unless it's just a capacitor or power supply diode. Or, might
there be a fuse???

Thanks

try and lower the bit rate in audio properties.