Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Powered Computer Speakers - No Sound

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:47:15 -0600, wrote:

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 05:49:54 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

I bought these a couple months ago for my PC. Replaced a set twice as
big and with a big separate sub-woofer. Really cleared up my desk.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o02_s00

They are USB powered, have good sound. Heavy metal cases, but small.
About 5x5. 2 1/2 wide. Sub-woofers have good bass.

And I bought these a couple weeks ago, for my wife's PC.

They are powered by AC, and also have good sound. Plastic cases,
light, and about half the size of the other ones. No sub-woofer.

I can recommend both of the above. The first one is better to my ears
because of the sub-woofers. You can read the reviews on both.

Thanks for the links. I do tend to question the USB powered ones though.
Computers only have limited power, and I found that out when my power
supply fried on one of my computers some years ago. The OEM power supply
was only 100W. I added several hard drives and other devices and it
fried. I replaced it with a 300W supply.

Anyhow, my JBL speakers that just died, had a wall transformer rated at
12Vdc at 1 amp. A fairly hefty transformer and rather large in size. It
would seem to me that a computer power supply would need to be pretty
hefty too. I know that before that 100W P.S. fried, my computer would
constantly crash. After replacing the P.S. my crash problems ceased.
Apparently my CPU and main board was not getting adaquate power, and
thus it would crash the system.

Anyhow, I'm a little concerned about using speakers that run off USB
power, and having my system crash because of high power requirements on
peak music output levels..... Just a thought!!!

How many watts do you want? USB2 unit load is 100ma, and the
computer can supply 5 unit loads - or 500ma total - so a USB power amp
can only consume 2.5 watts of power - so can not output more than 2.5
watts of music power.