Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Powered Computer Speakers - No Sound

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 18:05:00 -0600, wrote:

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 18:11:13 -0400,
wrote:

Power surges kill electronics. They often fail on turn-on. The chips
are generally pretty generic and not too hard to find, but if it's
more than the chip you've wasted the time and money on the chip. And
remember - JBL - Junky But Loud ( what all the local audio engineers
call them)

What is the number on the chip?
Likely something like an LM4732 or a tda2822

I sort of thought about a power surge......

The output chip is under the tin heat sink, and that is soldered to the
board. So I cant read the numbers. The preamp chip looks like it's
BA455B. I.m old, so my eyes are not that good anymore. That alone would
make it hard to remove and solder in a new chip. On top of that, Ebay
has many speakers of a similar type for $10 or less, with free
shipping.*NEW* (Buy it Now). Or for around $20 I can get a pair with a
subwoofer added. By the time I get the chip(s), I'd probably pay that
much, and there is no guarantee it would work. So, I'm just going to
salvage the speakers themselves and toss the rest of it. (I'll save the
12vdc wall transformer too). No sense wasting anymore time on these when
I can get new ones for around $10. I hate tossing stuff that can be
fixed, but this is not worth my time or the money.

I looked on Craigslist too, but nothing was nearby. No sense burning $20
or more for gas to drive many miles either.

At least I now know that it's the board itself that's shot, and there is
no sense messing with it anymore.

I should mention that these speakers always were staticy. When there was
no music playing, I always heard some static noise and even some popping
sound, which got annoying at times. Kind of makes me think a part was
failing. I'd suspect a bad capacitor more than anything, knowing the
problems caused by caps these days. And when it died, it killed both
channels too.

Remember the "J" of JBL.