Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Powered Computer Speakers - No Sound

On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 14:23:38 -0600, wrote:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 18:14:41 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

USB speakers.. the WORST idea since
power windows & door locks in cars!

Those two are great. Especially when you're the only one in the car
and you want to lower the top and all the windows.

Or you want to unlock the passenger door without crawling over the
center console. Or you want to lock all the doors when you leave the
car.

I wont be buying any of them. Why should I buy a powered hub, or install
a bigger power supply, when I can just buy speakers that plug into a
wall outlet.

The powered hub suggestion was for a broader set of usb devices than
just usb speakers. You had expressed concern that usb speakers would
use too much current. How much more so a USB harddrive, USB camera,
USB keyboard receiver, etc?

Even if I did add a bigger PSU,

I don't see any reason to get a bigger power supply unit.

I'd be concerned about the USB plug
burning out from such a high current draw thru small wires.

I don't think that's possible. Whatever powers the USB jacks is
limited in power, and not enough to burn out the wires.

USB is for
powering low current draw stuff, like portable drives, keyboards, and so
on.

I agree about the power windows and locks too. I had a car that had both
and by the time I got rid of that car, only one window opened. I refused
to pay over $300 per door to have them fixed. The parts alone were

All my cars for the last 27 years have had PW and PL, and never any
trouble. I think sometimes people park under trees that are losing
their leaves and the leaves get in the doors and turn into sludge that
keeps the water from draining out of the doors. That can be bad for
PW. The one time I heard water sloshing around in a door, I pulled
down the rubber cover and let the water drain.

around $150. At least the locks still had the manual buttons, or I could
have been trapped in the car when the alternator quit, and I got most of
the way home on the battery before it died too.

I avoid buying any car with that junk now.