Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vote Best Of -- Craigslist

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/zip/5245930941.html

"Why do people insist on posting broken/unusable garbage? Also - what
is this "MUST TAKE ALL" trend? No, I don't want your broken microwave
or broken doggie door or bag of used kitty litter...and if I did, why
must I "take all"??? What if I have a need for JUST the used kitty
litter?? Why must I take the rest of your refuse??????"

Click the Best of link )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2015 10:24 AM, Oren wrote:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/zip/5245930941.html

"Why do people insist on posting broken/unusable garbage? Also - what
is this "MUST TAKE ALL" trend? No, I don't want your broken microwave
or broken doggie door or bag of used kitty litter...and if I did, why
must I "take all"??? What if I have a need for JUST the used kitty
litter?? Why must I take the rest of your refuse??????"

Click the Best of link )

Obviously, folks want to use CL as a cheap means of dealing with
their own *trash*. I'm always amused when someone will post a
link like "free orange tree -- you remove" (really? and just how
successful do you think this effort is likely to be??)

Or, the classic, "free aggregate (the dozens of tons of crushed
stone that are typically SPREAD OUT on properties, here, in lieu
of a lawn) -- you remove"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2015 1:24 PM, Oren wrote:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/zip/5245930941.html

"Why do people insist on posting broken/unusable garbage? Also - what
is this "MUST TAKE ALL" trend? No, I don't want your broken microwave
or broken doggie door or bag of used kitty litter...and if I did, why
must I "take all"??? What if I have a need for JUST the used kitty
litter?? Why must I take the rest of your refuse??????"

Click the Best of link )

I've never encountered something to that level but occasionally come
across ads which state something is broken but it's only a minor fix for
$10. Then why the hell don't you fix it and keep it or sell for more? I
choose to skip over them but find them comically stupid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
On 9/30/2015 10:24 AM, Oren wrote:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/zip/5245930941.html

"Why do people insist on posting broken/unusable garbage? Also - what
is this "MUST TAKE ALL" trend? No, I don't want your broken microwave
or broken doggie door or bag of used kitty litter...and if I did, why
must I "take all"??? What if I have a need for JUST the used kitty
litter?? Why must I take the rest of your refuse??????"

Click the Best of link )

Obviously, folks want to use CL as a cheap means of dealing with
their own *trash*. I'm always amused when someone will post a
link like "free orange tree -- you remove" (really? and just how
successful do you think this effort is likely to be??)

Or, the classic, "free aggregate (the dozens of tons of crushed
stone that are typically SPREAD OUT on properties, here, in lieu
of a lawn) -- you remove"

Nothing is free, it all has price your labor.
I some times list things with condition "must take all"
Most of time it works. Couldn't believe what people want
or look for. Most thing I put out is electronic junks.
Hobbyist gold mine. Funny when I replaced Whirlpool DW
I advertised it free for the taking. Lots of call but none
actually showed up. After a few days I put a price on it 30.00.
It's gone next day. The guy said worst comes, he can get
few bucks at scrap metal place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:
On 9/30/2015 1:24 PM, Oren wrote:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/zip/5245930941.html

"Why do people insist on posting broken/unusable garbage? Also - what
is this "MUST TAKE ALL" trend? No, I don't want your broken microwave
or broken doggie door or bag of used kitty litter...and if I did, why
must I "take all"??? What if I have a need for JUST the used kitty
litter?? Why must I take the rest of your refuse??????"

Click the Best of link )

I've never encountered something to that level but occasionally come
across ads which state something is broken but it's only a minor fix for
$10. Then why the hell don't you fix it and keep it or sell for more? I
choose to skip over them but find them comically stupid.

I hit a jack pot once. One guy wants to sell his Alienware 14" laptop
with i7 quad cpu, Nvidia M640 with 2 GB video, etc., etc. Reason?
RJ45 jack is broken. Some one tripped over Ethernet cable yanking the
plug out. My thought was I'll use USB-RJ45 converter, or use WiFi only
but I think I can replace the jack. Laptop worth more than a grand for
150.00.

Took it home in original box, checked eBay looking for exact match RJ45
jack. No luck. I got couple closely matching one. Then getting it at it.
It required disassembling whole laptop to bare chassis. Managed to
replace it. Assemble every thing back, Voila, it works. This is my daily
portable laptop. Built like tank(heavy) but very fast laptop. Lately
I carry iPAD air more due to it's weight. Good gaming laptop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 18:10:44 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 9/30/2015 1:24 PM, Oren wrote:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/zip/5245930941.html

"Why do people insist on posting broken/unusable garbage? Also - what
is this "MUST TAKE ALL" trend? No, I don't want your broken microwave
or broken doggie door or bag of used kitty litter...and if I did, why
must I "take all"??? What if I have a need for JUST the used kitty
litter?? Why must I take the rest of your refuse??????"

Click the Best of link )

I've never encountered something to that level but occasionally come
across ads which state something is broken but it's only a minor fix for
$10. Then why the hell don't you fix it and keep it or sell for more? I
choose to skip over them but find them comically stupid.

I've run into many car ads with "Check Engine Light on, my mechanic
says it's an easy fix". Really? They why didn't you have him fix it
and sell the car for hundreds and hundreds of dollars more???

Or the "Runs great, just needs a tune up".... Right......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/30/2015 1:24 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

My favorite on that score is "comes with lots of new parts."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2015 3:24 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
[...]

Some things have very little labor. E.g., I picked up a bunch
of 3" dia, 6 ft "tree stakes" some years ago. Instead of
driving to a store to *buy* them, I drove to a residence
to pick them up off the driveway!

I some times list things with condition "must take all"
Most of time it works. Couldn't believe what people want
or look for. Most thing I put out is electronic junks.
Hobbyist gold mine.

I rescue laptops and LCD monitors from friends and neighbors.
Usually, they are just "tired of them" (want newer model)
or software is all mangled (rebuild OS and all is well).
Monitors usually have blown FETs or eCaps -- simple fix.

As a result, I can "stockpile" these things for others who
happen to need/want one for a kid going off to school, etc.

Funny when I replaced Whirlpool DW
I advertised it free for the taking. Lots of call but none
actually showed up. After a few days I put a price on it 30.00.
It's gone next day. The guy said worst comes, he can get
few bucks at scrap metal place.

I carried old (gas) hot water heater out to curb -- and a
guy stopped to ask if he could have it before I'd even
walked away from it! "Sure! Do you need a hand getting
it into your truck?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2015 6:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Meanie wrote:
On 9/30/2015 1:24 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Good find! Alienware is a good laptop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

I carried old (gas) hot water heater out to curb -- and a
guy stopped to ask if he could have it before I'd even
walked away from it! "Sure! Do you need a hand getting
it into your truck?"

....as I was told by a plumber many yrs ago..."it's a "water heater"...you wouldn't have to heat "hot water"! I didn't laugh either! ¯\_(Š™ï¸¿Š™)_/¯
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2015 7:31 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

I carried old (gas) hot water heater out to curb -- and a guy stopped to
ask if he could have it before I'd even walked away from it! "Sure! Do
you need a hand getting it into your truck?"

....as I was told by a plumber many yrs ago..."it's a "water heater"...you
wouldn't have to heat "hot water"! I didn't laugh either! ¯\_(Š™ï¸¿Š™)_/¯

Though, nowadays, with multi-stage "water heaeters", it is conceivable
that you *are* heating "hot water" (warm water?).

Regardless, the water *in* the heater is rarely *cold* when the fire
lites! :
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob_villa" wrote in message
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

I carried old (gas) hot water heater out to curb -- and a
guy stopped to ask if he could have it before I'd even
walked away from it! "Sure! Do you need a hand getting
it into your truck?"

...as I was told by a plumber many yrs ago..."it's a "water
heater"...you wouldn't have to heat "hot water"! I didn't laugh

either! ¯\_(???)_/¯

I have seen a house or two that the hot water was on the right instead of
the normal left. Some one must have installed a cold water heater instead
of the hot water heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 10:26:56 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 9/30/2015 7:31 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

I carried old (gas) hot water heater out to curb -- and a guy stopped to
ask if he could have it before I'd even walked away from it! "Sure! Do
you need a hand getting it into your truck?"

....as I was told by a plumber many yrs ago..."it's a "water heater"...you
wouldn't have to heat "hot water"! I didn't laugh either! ¯\_(Š™ï¸¿Š™)_/¯

Though, nowadays, with multi-stage "water heaeters", it is conceivable
that you *are* heating "hot water" (warm water?).

Regardless, the water *in* the heater is rarely *cold* when the fire
lites! :

I thought a "hot water heater" was a "boiler". o_O

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 23:44:32 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"bob_villa" wrote in message
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

I carried old (gas) hot water heater out to curb -- and a
guy stopped to ask if he could have it before I'd even
walked away from it! "Sure! Do you need a hand getting
it into your truck?"

...as I was told by a plumber many yrs ago..."it's a "water
heater"...you wouldn't have to heat "hot water"! I didn't laugh
either! ¯\_(???)_/¯

I have seen a house or two that the hot water was on the right instead of
the normal left. Some one must have installed a cold water heater instead
of the hot water heater.

If you install a water heater and a water cooler right next to each
other, them blend the water 50 - 50, you'll end up with regular water!
That should be a goal for everyone who does home repair!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 10:26:56 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

Regardless, the water *in* the heater is rarely *cold* when the fire
lites! :

....I think you still get the point...regardless of squirming about it! •*(€¢Œ£€¢)•®
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:24:58 -0700, Oren
wrote:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/zip/5245930941.html

"Why do people insist on posting broken/unusable garbage? Also - what
is this "MUST TAKE ALL" trend? No, I don't want your broken microwave
or broken doggie door or bag of used kitty litter...and if I did, why
must I "take all"??? What if I have a need for JUST the used kitty
litter?? Why must I take the rest of your refuse??????"

Click the Best of link )

And why do they say, "If not gone by tomorrow, goes to the dump."
They've had this stuff for years, maybe decades, and all of a sudden it
has to be gone immediately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 07:39:41 -0400, micky
wrote:

And why do they say, "If not gone by tomorrow, goes to the dump."
They've had this stuff for years, maybe decades, and all of a sudden it
has to be gone immediately.

Maybe because the item is on the street the day before the trash runs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And why do they say, "If not gone by tomorrow, goes to the dump."
They've had this stuff for years, maybe decades, and all of a sudden it
has to be gone immediately.

Maybe because the item is on the street the day before the trash runs?

Yep!

I check the "Free Stuff" section on CL every now and them.

Quite often there are posts entitled "Curb Alert!" usually followed by a
brief description and a picture of what was put out.

This translates to "I just put this stuff out for the trash. If you want it,
come and get it - quick!"

It's just people being nice...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 1:25:12 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/zip/5245930941.html

"Why do people insist on posting broken/unusable garbage? Also - what
is this "MUST TAKE ALL" trend? No, I don't want your broken microwave
or broken doggie door or bag of used kitty litter...and if I did, why
must I "take all"??? What if I have a need for JUST the used kitty
litter?? Why must I take the rest of your refuse??????"

Click the Best of link )

I won't speak to the "must take all" portion, but I see nothing wrong with selling/giving away broken stuff.

2 examples:

A storm trashed the frame of my commercial grade E-ZUp canopy, but the top was fine. I looked on Craigslist and found someone selling a E-ZUp frame with no top and a broken leg - $50. 2 of the legs from my frame were fine, so one broken leg on the $50 frame wasn't a problem. The individual parts to fix my frame would have been close to $200. I jumped on the deal.

When I got there, the seller tossed in 4 original E-ZUP side walls which
cost close to $100 new.

Last month bought 2 matching but damaged printer stands for $10. I took
them apart, used the good parts from both and built one good one. My
daughter is now using it in her college apartment.

"Broken" doesn't always mean "unusable".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 09:07:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

"Broken" doesn't always mean "unusable".

Agree. Ugly furniture with good bones can be reupholstered or have a
new finish. A mattress infested with bed bugs and other nasty cooties
(against my local heath dept. codes) not so much
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Broken" doesn't always mean "unusable".

Agree. Ugly furniture with good bones can be reupholstered or have a
new finish. A mattress infested with bed bugs and other nasty cooties
(against my local heath dept. codes) not so much

That's why I never buy furniture with cushions, fabrics, etc. used for
sleeping and laying down. I shiver at the thought of the seller being
less hygienic than myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/30/2015 1:24 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I have considered a car with a "salvage" or "rebuilt" title. Upon on add
for a car I was viewing, it was listed as salvage. I called and asked
the extent of the damage. "Oh, it was just a rear quarter panel which
was replaced." Yea, whatever you say. They must think everyone is more
idiotic then they since no car is warranted a salvage title for minor
damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/30/2015 1:24 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

It depends on the value of the car. A good rule of thumb is "75%".

If the cost of the repair is 75% or more of the value of the vehicle, many
insurance companies will consider it totaled. "Minor damage" these days can be
pretty expensive. On an older vehicle or one with very high mileage, the cost
to R&R the rear quarter panel, then paint it to match, etc. could very well
approach 75% of the value of the vehicle.

Once they consider it totaled and pay the insured, it gets a salvage title.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And why do they say, "If not gone by tomorrow, goes to the dump."
They've had this stuff for years, maybe decades, and all of a sudden it
has to be gone immediately.

Maybe because the item is on the street the day before the trash runs?

Yep!

I check the "Free Stuff" section on CL every now and them.

Quite often there are posts entitled "Curb Alert!" usually followed by a
brief description and a picture of what was put out.

This translates to "I just put this stuff out for the trash. If you want it,
come and get it - quick!"

That's what I'm saying. If they were really interested in someone else
benefitting from their used stuff, they wouldn't put it out in the trash
for another week, or even two, to give people time to pick it up.

I see this a lot in a Freecycle newsletter, and since postings there
have to be approved, and approval can take a day or two, sometimes these
announcements come in the middle of the night before the trash is to be
picked up.

They've had the stuff for years. They can wait two more weeks. They
could also plan ahead.

It's just people being nice...

A little nice but not very nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are too picky. Maybe they're having a party and need it gone before the
party. At least they offered it, and frequently it will be gone as they want.
Maybe they posted it 3 times already and it's time to go. IF you want it, ask
for it and pick it up as they desired. You're getting it free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I picked up a freebie 55" plasma TV that was described as not working. Opened it
up and found 10 swelling capacitors. Replaced those for $8, and have been
enjoying the big screen for the last couple years.

I frequently will pick up broken things to repair or use for parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And why do they say, "If not gone by tomorrow, goes to the dump."
They've had this stuff for years, maybe decades, and all of a sudden it
has to be gone immediately.

Maybe because the item is on the street the day before the trash runs?

Yep!

I check the "Free Stuff" section on CL every now and them.

Quite often there are posts entitled "Curb Alert!" usually followed by a
brief description and a picture of what was put out.

This translates to "I just put this stuff out for the trash. If you want it,
come and get it - quick!"

That's what I'm saying. If they were really interested in someone else
benefitting from their used stuff, they wouldn't put it out in the trash
for another week, or even two, to give people time to pick it up.

All they are *really* interested in is getting rid of it. Who takes it (the
trash man or anyone else) really doesn't matter and it doesn't take much
effort to post a CL ad just to be "nice".

To keep for "another week, or even two" means putting it someplace where people
can pick it up from but also have it be protected from the trash man. That may
not be convenient for many. Maybe they don't want to carry stuff out of their
house and leave it in my driveway for "another week, or even two" and hope
that someone picks it up before it gets rained on or a critter moves in. If
no one takes it then they have to move it again out to the curb.

They probably aren't going to keep it in the house or garage and make
appointments, not for something that's "free". If they're cleaning out their
garage on Saturday, they're going to post the ad Saturday night (or maybe as
soon as the stuff hits the curb) and whatever happens, happens. If someone
else get something for free, good for them. If not, the garage is clean, which
was the original goal anyway.

I see this a lot in a Freecycle newsletter, and since postings there
have to be approved, and approval can take a day or two, sometimes these
announcements come in the middle of the night before the trash is to be
picked up.

They've had the stuff for years. They can wait two more weeks. They
could also plan ahead.

I didn't plan on cleaning my garage today, it's just something that happened. Nice day, NFL on TV, why not clean the garage while watching a game or two?
If I had stuff to put on CL, it would have happened today and it would have
been unplanned. For all the reason's I mentioned above, I wouldn't have held
onto anything just to have to move it again or have it lying around in my
driveway.

It's just people being nice...

A little nice but not very nice.

"Very nice" is hauling the stuff to a charity-based thrift store. My wife's
vehicle is currently loaded with stuff from my garage cleaning efforts of
earlier today. She'll be making a run tomorrow with a couple of the mentally
disabled adults she cares for. A project for them, some stuff for charity and
a clean(er) garage for me. Nice!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2015 3:36 PM, Bob F wrote:

"Broken" doesn't always mean "unusable".

I picked up a freebie 55" plasma TV that was described as not working. Opened it
up and found 10 swelling capacitors. Replaced those for $8, and have been
enjoying the big screen for the last couple years.

I frequently will pick up broken things to repair or use for parts.

+1

I suspect something in my upbringing causes me to cringe when I see
how much stuff gets discarded -- often because someone "wanted new".

We regularly watch a 46" plasma that was a simple fix. I have
two more similarly sized LCD sets waiting to make their way up
to the top of my "priority" list (how many TV's does one really NEED?)

I rescued a 100' cord reel of #12/3 that someone just "got tired
of" (it's very heavy). Spent a day tearing it down to check the
integrity of the slip rings (to be sure they weren't the reason
the reel was discarded -- 20A isn't a trivial carrying current).
Now proudly sits out in the garage for those times I need to
operate some big appliance "on the other side of the yard".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There are just too many people like this for them all to be having
parties or any other deadline.

party. At least they offered it,

I agreed that they are being a little nice. Or regular nice. Just not
very nice.

I'm not trying to dump on them. I'm mostly just saying it's strange.

and frequently it will be gone as they want.
Maybe they posted it 3 times already and it's time to go.

No, I read my email every day (several times a day) and this is always
or almost always the first time the things have appeared. There are
a few people who will post something twice if it's not taken the first
time, and they are to the best of my memory the ones who don't put any
time pressure on responders.

IF you want it, ask
for it and pick it up as they desired. You're getting it free.

98% of things I don't want. I'm just commenting on how strange it is
that they've had these things for month or years and all of a sudden
they can only wait until the day after tomorrow or they will send it to
the dump.

The things I really want, I ask for immediately and go over there almost
immediately if that suits them.**

Actually you bring up a similar phenomenon. There are other things
that I could use, or sort of want, that I think someone will want more
or will likely make better use of than I will, and I want them to have
priority. So I used to answer and say, "If no one else contacts
you, I'd like this" I always got an immediate answer saying "It's
yours". I'm pretty sure that's because they didnt' want to wait another
day to see if anyone else wanted it.

So now I wait, 2, 3, maybe 4 days, depending on how much I want it,
(unless they've threatened to send it to the dump. Not everyone makes
that threat) and then, if no email has shown up saying "TAKEN", I reply.
Once it was taken but they didn't post that, and a couple other times it
was something no one would want but me.

**I would more often go immediately, but most people insist on doing
everything via email. With an hour, 5 hours, overnight intervening.
It's taken up to 5 emails from me and 5 emails back to arrange things by
email, spanning days. I always give my phone number when I reply or
in my first email after I've offered something, but only ONE person in
several years has ever called me. In that case, we handled all the
arrangements in one phone call. So much easier.

(I reply what is immediately from my POV, but I think it might be
possible to read the webpage and see the offers hours before they arrive
in my email. And if it is possible, I think there are people who do
that, but I haven't checked if it will work that way. )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 4 Oct 2015 17:41:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

This translates to "I just put this stuff out for the trash. If you want it,
come and get it - quick!"

That's what I'm saying. If they were really interested in someone else
benefitting from their used stuff, they wouldn't put it out in the trash
for another week, or even two, to give people time to pick it up.

All they are *really* interested in is getting rid of it. Who takes it (the
trash man or anyone else) really doesn't matter and it doesn't take much
effort to post a CL ad just to be "nice".

If I hadn't spent so much time replying to Bob, and on technical mailing
list. I'd probably have comments. But I've run out of steam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2015 12:16 AM, micky wrote:

[attrs elided]

They've had the stuff for years. They can wait two more weeks.
They could also plan ahead.

It's just people being nice...

A little nice but not very nice.

You are too picky. Maybe they're having a party and need it gone before the

There are just too many people like this for them all to be having
parties or any other deadline.

I suspect there are many factors at work.

Having given items away on CL, Freecycle, etc. I know how many
"flakes" claim to want something -- then back out after they've
reconsidered for a while. E.g., asking for it QUICKLY (to
beat others to the punch) but then discovering they don't
really want it, that there is too much work required to make
use of it, etc.

[I plan on EVENTUALLY accumulating sliding glass doors to
enclose the back porch. But, I have no place to stockpile them,
presently, for the many months?? it will take to accumulate
enough of them! So, each time I see a set of doors offered, I
am immediately tempted to request them. But, know that there
will always be more of them and NOW isn't the right time to start
accumulating big things like that!]

I suspect other cases have spousal pressu clean out that
damned garage, now!

Or, they simply got tired of looking at the stuff and, having
decided to get rid of it, want it gone NOW!

[I'll be headed to a local facility that recycles electronic
equipment tomorrow morning. Should I hold onto the equipment
for another week to let someone who *might* be able to use it
(and *might* turn up to collect it)? Or, just toss it in
the back of the car, tonight, and not have to deal with it
anymore?]

Or, are trying to coordinate with "bulk trash pickups" (we have
them twice yearly, here) that are usually only announced a
week or two ahead of time -- no one wants to wait a few days
for ONE GUY to show up (turning away others who might be
interested in the meantime) only to watch the calendar slip
by and have to repeat the effort hoping to renew interest
in the offering.

IF you want it, ask
for it and pick it up as they desired. You're getting it free.

98% of things I don't want. I'm just commenting on how strange it is
that they've had these things for month or years and all of a sudden
they can only wait until the day after tomorrow or they will send it to
the dump.

How long should they wait -- *you're* the one wanting it, shouldn't
the onus be on you to "be quick about it"? Apparently, some folks
even expect the giver to *deliver*! (why else would so many folks
state that *you* need to pick it up?)

We decided to get rid of a potters wheel and electric kiln -- SWMBO
decided she was no longer interested. These are big, heavy items.
We weren't keen on "taking them off the market" prematurely -- for
someone who *said* they wanted them but later decided they didn't
have the ability (vehicle and "strong back"!) to collect them.

It's not fair to leave a post pending and have folks trying to
contact you "is it still available" (which is actually a prime
technique for harvesting email addrs). So, we wanted the items
picked up *quickly* so we could take down the offer in good
conscious AFTER we'd disposed of the items.

The things I really want, I ask for immediately and go over there almost
immediately if that suits them.**

I recently rescued a large format printer/plotter. I was reasonably sure
there would be very few folks interested in such a thing (5' wide,
4' tall, 3 ft deep) so it wasn't like I *needed* to "rush" to collect it.

OTOH, I knew that the giver would be anxious to get it off his hands.
It takes up a lot of space in an office -- when you've decided that
you don't want it! So, I picked it up the next morning.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This translates to "I just put this stuff out for the trash. If you want it,
come and get it - quick!"

That's what I'm saying. If they were really interested in someone else
benefitting from their used stuff, they wouldn't put it out in the trash
for another week, or even two, to give people time to pick it up.

All they are *really* interested in is getting rid of it. Who takes it (the
trash man or anyone else) really doesn't matter and it doesn't take much
effort to post a CL ad just to be "nice".

If I hadn't spent so much time replying to Bob, and on technical mailing
list. I'd probably have comments. But I've run out of steam.

....or I could just be right.

Craigslist SteveB[_15_] Metalworking 5 January 5th 14 03:13 AM
A vote for Romney is a vote for Mormon cult Joseph Smith Home Repair 193 October 19th 11 02:13 PM
Bridgeport type mill craigslist [email protected] [email protected] Metalworking 0 December 5th 07 06:53 PM
Craigslist Gunner[_2_] Metalworking 20 August 28th 07 01:14 AM
Craigslist woodcrafts Todd Fatheree Woodworking 3 July 25th 05 04:44 PM