Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Vote Best Of -- Craigslist

On 10/4/2015 3:36 PM, Bob F wrote:

"Broken" doesn't always mean "unusable".

I picked up a freebie 55" plasma TV that was described as not working. Opened it
up and found 10 swelling capacitors. Replaced those for $8, and have been
enjoying the big screen for the last couple years.

I frequently will pick up broken things to repair or use for parts.

+1

I suspect something in my upbringing causes me to cringe when I see
how much stuff gets discarded -- often because someone "wanted new".

We regularly watch a 46" plasma that was a simple fix. I have
two more similarly sized LCD sets waiting to make their way up
to the top of my "priority" list (how many TV's does one really NEED?)

I rescued a 100' cord reel of #12/3 that someone just "got tired
of" (it's very heavy). Spent a day tearing it down to check the
integrity of the slip rings (to be sure they weren't the reason
the reel was discarded -- 20A isn't a trivial carrying current).
Now proudly sits out in the garage for those times I need to
operate some big appliance "on the other side of the yard".