Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Vote Best Of -- Craigslist

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 1:28:25 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 1 Oct 2015 08:50:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 11:26:44 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 07:39:41 -0400, micky
wrote:

And why do they say, "If not gone by tomorrow, goes to the dump."
They've had this stuff for years, maybe decades, and all of a sudden it
has to be gone immediately.

Maybe because the item is on the street the day before the trash runs?

Yep!

I check the "Free Stuff" section on CL every now and them.

Quite often there are posts entitled "Curb Alert!" usually followed by a
brief description and a picture of what was put out.

This translates to "I just put this stuff out for the trash. If you want it,
come and get it - quick!"

That's what I'm saying. If they were really interested in someone else
benefitting from their used stuff, they wouldn't put it out in the trash
for another week, or even two, to give people time to pick it up.

All they are *really* interested in is getting rid of it. Who takes it (the
trash man or anyone else) really doesn't matter and it doesn't take much
effort to post a CL ad just to be "nice".

To keep for "another week, or even two" means putting it someplace where people
can pick it up from but also have it be protected from the trash man. That may
not be convenient for many. Maybe they don't want to carry stuff out of their
house and leave it in my driveway for "another week, or even two" and hope
that someone picks it up before it gets rained on or a critter moves in. If
no one takes it then they have to move it again out to the curb.

They probably aren't going to keep it in the house or garage and make
appointments, not for something that's "free". If they're cleaning out their
garage on Saturday, they're going to post the ad Saturday night (or maybe as
soon as the stuff hits the curb) and whatever happens, happens. If someone
else get something for free, good for them. If not, the garage is clean, which
was the original goal anyway.

I see this a lot in a Freecycle newsletter, and since postings there
have to be approved, and approval can take a day or two, sometimes these
announcements come in the middle of the night before the trash is to be
picked up.

They've had the stuff for years. They can wait two more weeks. They
could also plan ahead.

I didn't plan on cleaning my garage today, it's just something that happened. Nice day, NFL on TV, why not clean the garage while watching a game or two?
If I had stuff to put on CL, it would have happened today and it would have
been unplanned. For all the reason's I mentioned above, I wouldn't have held
onto anything just to have to move it again or have it lying around in my
driveway.

It's just people being nice...

A little nice but not very nice.

"Very nice" is hauling the stuff to a charity-based thrift store. My wife's
vehicle is currently loaded with stuff from my garage cleaning efforts of
earlier today. She'll be making a run tomorrow with a couple of the mentally
disabled adults she cares for. A project for them, some stuff for charity and
a clean(er) garage for me. Nice!