Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Vote Best Of -- Craigslist

On 9/30/2015 3:24 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 9/30/2015 10:24 AM, Oren wrote:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/zip/5245930941.html

"Why do people insist on posting broken/unusable garbage? Also - what
is this "MUST TAKE ALL" trend? No, I don't want your broken microwave
or broken doggie door or bag of used kitty litter...and if I did, why
must I "take all"??? What if I have a need for JUST the used kitty
litter?? Why must I take the rest of your refuse??????"

Click the Best of link )

Obviously, folks want to use CL as a cheap means of dealing with
their own *trash*. I'm always amused when someone will post a
link like "free orange tree -- you remove" (really? and just how
successful do you think this effort is likely to be??)

Or, the classic, "free aggregate (the dozens of tons of crushed
stone that are typically SPREAD OUT on properties, here, in lieu
of a lawn) -- you remove"

Nothing is free, it all has price your labor.

Some things have very little labor. E.g., I picked up a bunch
of 3" dia, 6 ft "tree stakes" some years ago. Instead of
driving to a store to *buy* them, I drove to a residence
to pick them up off the driveway!

I some times list things with condition "must take all"
Most of time it works. Couldn't believe what people want
or look for. Most thing I put out is electronic junks.
Hobbyist gold mine.

I rescue laptops and LCD monitors from friends and neighbors.
Usually, they are just "tired of them" (want newer model)
or software is all mangled (rebuild OS and all is well).
Monitors usually have blown FETs or eCaps -- simple fix.

As a result, I can "stockpile" these things for others who
happen to need/want one for a kid going off to school, etc.

Funny when I replaced Whirlpool DW
I advertised it free for the taking. Lots of call but none
actually showed up. After a few days I put a price on it 30.00.
It's gone next day. The guy said worst comes, he can get
few bucks at scrap metal place.

I carried old (gas) hot water heater out to curb -- and a
guy stopped to ask if he could have it before I'd even
walked away from it! "Sure! Do you need a hand getting
it into your truck?"