Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How old is too old for a smoke detector ?

I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX. Probably about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's probably why they have not received much attention. The are hardwired to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't believe they are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

Should they be replaced ?

Recommendations !?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
typed:
I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX.
Probably about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's
probably why they have not received much attention. The are hardwired
to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't believe they
are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

Should they be replaced ?

Recommendations !?

Usually, the max recommended life is 10 years. Here's a link that says that
in the middle of Page 2 of the document.

http://www.firexsafety.com/NR/rdonly...523English.pdf

If you are in a condo, you may want to check with the condo association to
find out if your smoke alarms are interconnected with alarms in other units
in the building or an outside alarm if they go off.

You may be able to switch them with detectors that also have a battery
backup -- not sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think they are interconnected with other units, I have tested years before the and the neighbors have never said anything about it.
I know that we don't have any type of notification system with the authorities or a blinker on the outside of the unit.

I was just inquiring about the life of the sensor and/or unit. They are the original equipment.

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:09:17 PM UTC-6, TomR wrote:
In ,
typed:
I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX.
Probably about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's
probably why they have not received much attention. The are hardwired
to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't believe they
are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

Should they be replaced ?

Recommendations !?

Usually, the max recommended life is 10 years. Here's a link that says that
in the middle of Page 2 of the document.

http://www.firexsafety.com/NR/rdonly...523English.pdf

If you are in a condo, you may want to check with the condo association to
find out if your smoke alarms are interconnected with alarms in other units
in the building or an outside alarm if they go off.

You may be able to switch them with detectors that also have a battery
backup -- not sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In news typed:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:00:22 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:01:23 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX.
Probably about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's
probably why they have not received much attention. The are
hardwired to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't
believe they are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

Should they be replaced ?

tHAT's what they say.

You could light a fire under one of them and see if the alarm goes
off. You wouldn't need a big fire, even a wooden match would do I
think even a wooden match that had been extinguished would make
enough smoke.

The problem is that you woudn't know if it was as sensitive as it
should be. I guess you should have done this when you first moved
in, so you'd have a standard to compare with.

Recommendations !?

Thanks

Should be replaced every 8 to 10 years.

Getting direct replacements for your line powered interconnected units
may not be as simple as adding battery operated independent units.

I think if he unplugs one unit and brings it to a Home Depot or Lowes or ACE
Hardware etc., they will have compatible units that can be used for
replacements -- and probably they will be hardwired units with a battery
backup in case of power failure. That's what I did with a 110-volt AC
hardwired interconnected alarm system that I have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX. Probably
about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's probably why they have
not received much attention. The are hardwired to AC with a signal wire to
the other 2 detectors. Don't believe they are on a separate circuit, should
they be ?

Should they be replaced ?

Recommendations !?

Thanks

{{

Given the cost we replace and trash (no gifting) @ 5 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Went back to the condo and pushed the test button, Nothing.

Went to Menards and bought 4 new Kidde replacements.

I will try to get them in this weekend.
After replacement I will test and check with the neighbors to see if there units alert and post a follow up.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 6:36 PM, Frank wrote:

I'd say if they work they should be OK.
It's carbon monoxide detectors that have expiration dates.

Ionization smoke detetors use a radioactive
isotope that has a half life. They are good
for about ten years.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 22:26:28 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/17/2015 6:36 PM, Frank wrote:

I'd say if they work they should be OK.
It's carbon monoxide detectors that have expiration dates.

Ionization smoke detetors use a radioactive
isotope that has a half life. They are good
for about ten years.

I was recently injected iwth something whose half-life for gamma
emission is 6.0058 hours. I'm not good for much. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't see why it would be any problem getting replacements for
AC interconnected ones. Standard install is normal AC wiring with
one additional wire that runs between units. Independent ones don't
provide the same safety. If you have a large house, are a sound sleeper,
one going off in the basement at the far end of the house may not be
enough to wake you up in the second floor bedroom, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, I think code requires that they be battery backed up now.
I'd rather just have the AC ones and not have to deal with screwing around
every year with changing batteries. Yeah, the battery backup provides a
little extra safety, but not worth it to me.

Another curious thing I don't understand. The AC plus battery back up ones
I've had experience with, the batteries have to be replaced about once a
year, they start beeping. What's up with that? You would think AC would
power the thing, with the battery only being called on when the AC goes
out. But if that were the case, then the batteries should last a few years.
Any idea what's up with that? Any experience?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 10:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/17/2015 6:36 PM, Frank wrote:

I'd say if they work they should be OK.
It's carbon monoxide detectors that have expiration dates.

Ionization smoke detetors use a radioactive
isotope that has a half life. They are good
for about ten years.

Good point but I never saw an expiration date on my very old detectors
and my wife was constantly testing them by not venting the oven enough
when broiling.

We replaced all of them last year when she was cooking, an alarm went
off and drove us nuts trying to figure where when it turned out to be
the CO detector telling us it was dying.

We replaced with more expensive but long battery life detectors maybe
good for 10 years before sending at annoying warnings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2015 9:14 AM, Frank wrote:
We replaced all of them last year when she was cooking, an alarm went
off and drove us nuts trying to figure where when it turned out to be
the CO detector telling us it was dying.

We replaced with more expensive but long battery life detectors maybe
good for 10 years before sending at annoying warnings.

I bought a new smoke detector, and put the old
one on a high shelf. Couple months later, the
detector chirped. Took me a long time to find
the old one (out of sight, battery going weak)
as I'd forgot I put it on the shelf.

My Monoxide detector takes batteries three times
a year, the two AA cells go dead rapidly. The smokes
take 9 volt cell, I try to remember to replace every
time I change the clocks. Tempted to get the new
lithium cells, good for several years.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX. Probably about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's probably why they have not received much attention. The are hardwired to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't believe they are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

It would be nice to have them on separate circuits, but not a code
requirement.

Should they be replaced ?

Yes, they *must* be replaced @ 10 years old per NFPA code. Monitored
detectors are exempt because they get inspected at least annually and
usually have replaceable sensing chambers. Stand-alone detectors *must*
be replaced every 10 years.

You'll see two types for sale, photoelectric and ionization. Get
photoelectric types. They will detect smoldering fires faster and reduce
false alarms.

Recommendations !?

Replace them with AC/DC type smokes (a backup battery) or just DC ones.
Also get ones with an "interlock" feature, when one trips - they all
sound. Now is a good time to bring it up to current code.

Place one outside of each sleeping area, for instance if there are 3
bedrooms upstairs and you can place one in the hall 15' (max range from
corners & walls) from one side of the hall and no more than 15' from the
other wall, one in the middle of the hall will suffice (the hall is 30'
long or less). If the hall is longer, place one no less than 15' from
one wall - then go up to 30' to the next one, etc.. For instance if the
hall is 40' long place you need two detectors, placed 10' off each wall
for uniform coverage.

If there is a master bedroom on the 1st floor, one needs to be placed
outside of the MBR door. If there are two bedrooms downstairs on each
side of the condo and they are more than 30' apart you need one outside
EACH bedroom - else place one in between the two bedrooms if the doors
are within 15' of each other.

Also, a detector must be inside of each and every bedroom. Usually
placed 8 inches away from the corner of the wall and ceiling above the
door. NEVER place them IN the corners, as smoke does not always
accumulate there. The detector's instruction manual will show you proper
placement, with a drawing.

I strongly recommend the interlock feature, even though this is not
mandated in all jurisdictions. This will assure everyone sleeping will
wake up if a fire happens at night. Also, have a plan in case of a
detection - make sure kids know to get outside ASAP and have a
pre-designated meeting area outdoors.

Never put smoke detectors in kitchens, use a RoR (Rate of Rise) heat
detector instead. Same goes for attic spaces and garages (near gas H2O
heaters, furnaces).

Now is a good time to install CO detector(s) as well. Follow the
manufacturer's instructions. They usually mount lower than smoke
detectors, carbon monoxide gas is neutrally buoyant in air.

Even better, if you have a monitored security system - consider letting
the alarm company do the work and use monitored detectors. This will
save property (the monitoring company calls the fire dept. if no one is
home to hear the alarms) and lower insurance costs.

Thanks

YW, and thanks for asking. If you have questions, please call the
non-emergency number for the local fire dept. and ask for advice. Most
will be happy to send someone out to help you plan the system. They
would rather come now rather than later taking you or a family member out
in a body bag.

--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

NotMe wrote:

Given the cost we replace and trash (no gifting) @ 5 years.

Good advice. Never "gift" used detectors! Only re-use the batteries for
something else besides life-safety devices. Always use brand-new
batteries when replacing them, and check the detectors twice a year -
minimum. A good way to remember to check them is to do it when changing
the clocks twice a year.

--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
trader_4 typed:

wrote:

[...]

I am not sure if replacing old detectors that were up to code when they were
put in would require bringing the new system up to the current code. But, I
would go with the battery backup models if it is do-able since that is
safer. I am just guessing that the alarm systems have battery backups in
case there is an electrical malfunction or short that causes a fire and also
causes the power to go off.

Another curious thing I don't understand. The AC plus battery back
up ones I've had experience with, the batteries have to be replaced
about once a year, they start beeping. What's up with that? You
would think AC would power the thing, with the battery only being
called on when the AC goes out. But if that were the case, then the
batteries should last a few years. Any idea what's up with that? Any
experience?

I only have one property that has an interconnected hardwired alarm system
with battery backup which has 5 detectors in the system. I don't recall the
batteries chirping on going bad very often. I have had it happen once or
twice in a few years, but only with one battery at a time -- not all of them
every year or so. But, that is just a guess from memory since I didn't pay
much attention to when this was happening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/17/2015 05:36 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I'd say if they work they should be OK.
It's carbon monoxide detectors that have expiration dates.

I bought Smoke and CO detectors in 2006. The smoke detector (First Alert
with both ionization and photoelectric sensors) has instructions to
replace it after 10 years.

AS to the CO detector (NightHawk), it failed and had to be replaced in
2013. The new one has no such message.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The Christian religion not only was at first attended with miracles,
but even at this day cannot be believed by any reasonable person without
one." -- David Hume
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 11:49:02 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
trader_4 typed:

wrote:

[...]

A number of years ago a friend had a smoke detector go bad in his
townhouse. We were unable to find a replacement that could be wired
into his existing system that would communicate with the other units,
or with each orher if we replaced them all as hard-wires units. We
replaced them all with individual battery operated units

Kidde now has wireless battery operated interconnected alarms that can
be "hushed" from any station. They also have combo cosmoke detectors
that do not have replaceable batteries - you change the whole unit
every 10 years. - available as standalone or 120 volt direct wired
with 10 year backup battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 09:26:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/18/2015 9:14 AM, Frank wrote:
We replaced all of them last year when she was cooking, an alarm went
off and drove us nuts trying to figure where when it turned out to be
the CO detector telling us it was dying.

We replaced with more expensive but long battery life detectors maybe
good for 10 years before sending at annoying warnings.

I bought a new smoke detector, and put the old
one on a high shelf. Couple months later, the
detector chirped. Took me a long time to find
the old one (out of sight, battery going weak)
as I'd forgot I put it on the shelf.

My Monoxide detector takes batteries three times
a year, the two AA cells go dead rapidly. The smokes
take 9 volt cell, I try to remember to replace every
time I change the clocks. Tempted to get the new
lithium cells, good for several years.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

My co detectors have build in rechargeable bateries for backup, and
run off 120 volts through a wall-wart. (all except one, which uses a 9
volt battery instead of the rechargeable) They are nighthawks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 09:57:00 -0600, G. Morgan

[...]

By law in Ontario there must be one detector on each floor -
sleeping area or not, and CO detectors are mandatory as of 2013.

Comination detectors - ionizing/photo/co/Hydrocarbon are available.
They will alarm for blazing or smoky fires, CO, and propane/natural
gas leaks. Uselss for propane unless they are mounted low or the leak
is high, since propane is heavier than air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 10:57:03 AM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
wrote:

[...]

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that
it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least
here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code.
Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a
certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For
example, a smoke detector immediately outside a bedroom, as was
code years ago, is still compliant. As is using one for two bedrooms, if
those bedrooms are next to each other. etc.

I'd suggest he check what's required in his state and then decide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Our city rental code requires the batteries to be replaced every year.
As I recall, back when most 9v batteries were just carbon cell they
lasted about a year in a smoke detector. But Alkaline last 3 to 5
years. I think there are some lithium's that last 10 years.

I've always used alkaline in the ones at my residence and they last a
lot longer then a year before they start beeping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:39:54 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

I'd suggest he check what's required in his state and then decide.

Contact the local fire department. Our local firemen have a program
to visit your home, for the elderly, offering free help at no cost.
Includes smoke detectors in homes that never had them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Code reuires that line owered smoke detectors are on a circuit with a freuently used light.

This so you know its off, makes it impossible to just power off all the smoke detectors.

I am not impressed AT ALL, with those newer 10 year units.

First one I had the unit chirped and battery died at one year old.

My wife insisted on a long life 10 year smoke CO2 detector.

at 2 months old it failed, alarming for co2, she freaked and called the fire department, along came the police and EMTs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 13:32:06 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

My wife insisted on a long life 10 year smoke CO2 detector.

at 2 months old it failed, alarming for co2, she freaked and called the fire department, along came the police and EMTs

Buy her a sewing machine to keep her busy so not to bother you.

Do not let people "insist" what you do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2015 9:30 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
Not an answer to your question, but a comment on something I saw about
smoke detectors. Be sure you have loud ones in the children's rooms.
On TV I saw somebody do a test with some children and smoke detectors.
They set up a low light camera in the children's room and then
set off a smoke detector in the hall outside. The children
never woke up. They moved the detector into the room and
it took several minutes for 2 of the children to wake up and the
third never did. So you want REALLY LOUD smoke detectors in
the children's room.

Bill

Years ago, I saw some thing about a smoke detector with
a sound recorder in it. You'd get either parent to record
a couple seconds of his / her voice calling the child by
name, and tell em to wake up and it's a fire drill.

Wonder if it's easier to have monthly stop drop and roll,
crawl in smoke type drills. Then the kids associate the
fire alarm horn with the drop roll and crawl drill?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife insisted on a long life 10 year smoke CO2 detector.

at 2 months old it failed, alarming for co2, she freaked and called the fire department, along came the police and EMTs

Buy her a sewing machine to keep her busy so not to bother you.

Do not let people "insist" what you do.

I've never heard of a smoke and carbon dioxide
detector. New one, to me.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 18:21:15 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Years ago, I saw some thing about a smoke detector with
a sound recorder in it. You'd get either parent to record
a couple seconds of his / her voice calling the child by
name, and tell em to wake up and it's a fire drill.

When I was in JHS I realized that if I called my mother by "name",
"Mother, are you awake?", she woke up immediately, when that was just
what I didn't want.

But if I said "Are you awake?", she slept through that and I waited
until later to talk to her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife insisted on a long life 10 year smoke CO2 detector.

at 2 months old it failed, alarming for co2, she freaked and called the fire department, along came the police and EMTs

Buy her a sewing machine to keep her busy so not to bother you.

Do not let people "insist" what you do.

You aren't married, are you???
Perhaps not married any more is more accurate??

Smoke Detector Camdor UK diy 8 May 18th 10 03:36 PM
Smoke Detector ? nr Home Repair 4 December 4th 07 12:48 AM
smoke detector No Name Home Repair 6 August 13th 07 12:46 AM
Smoke detector batteries Jim-Poncin Home Repair 1 November 15th 05 06:37 PM
Smoke detector and CO detector installed next to each other? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 02:46 AM