Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How old is too old for a smoke detector ?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 09:26:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/18/2015 9:14 AM, Frank wrote:
We replaced all of them last year when she was cooking, an alarm went
off and drove us nuts trying to figure where when it turned out to be
the CO detector telling us it was dying.

We replaced with more expensive but long battery life detectors maybe
good for 10 years before sending at annoying warnings.

I bought a new smoke detector, and put the old
one on a high shelf. Couple months later, the
detector chirped. Took me a long time to find
the old one (out of sight, battery going weak)
as I'd forgot I put it on the shelf.

My Monoxide detector takes batteries three times
a year, the two AA cells go dead rapidly. The smokes
take 9 volt cell, I try to remember to replace every
time I change the clocks. Tempted to get the new
lithium cells, good for several years.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

My co detectors have build in rechargeable bateries for backup, and
run off 120 volts through a wall-wart. (all except one, which uses a 9
volt battery instead of the rechargeable) They are nighthawks.