Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How old is too old for a smoke detector ?

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:01:23 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX. Probably about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's probably why they have not received much attention. The are hardwired to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't believe they are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

Should they be replaced ?

tHAT's what they say.

You could light a fire under one of them and see if the alarm goes off.
You wouldn't need a big fire, even a wooden match would do I think even
a wooden match that had been extinguished would make enough smoke.

The problem is that you woudn't know if it was as sensitive as it should
be. I guess you should have done this when you first moved in, so
you'd have a standard to compare with.

Recommendations !?

Thanks