Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How old is too old for a smoke detector ?

trader_4 wrote:

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that
it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least
here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code.
Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a
certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For
example, a smoke detector immediately outside a bedroom, as was
code years ago, is still compliant. As is using one for two bedrooms, if
those bedrooms are next to each other. etc.

I'd suggest he check what's required in his state and then decide.

That is true, he does not have to bring it up to new construction code.
Its a good opportunity to exercise best practice though.

--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that
it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least
here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code.
Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a
certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For
example, a smoke detector immediately outside a bedroom, as was
code years ago, is still compliant. As is using one for two bedrooms, if
those bedrooms are next to each other. etc.

I'd suggest he check what's required in his state and then decide.

That is true, he does not have to bring it up to new construction code.
Its a good opportunity to exercise best practice though.

Hi,
Just do things just to get by code? Family life is depend on it.
There is no such things as over safety as far as I am concerned.
smoke/flame detectors, CO detectors, gas detecter hard wired with
battery back up. Diligent annual check up and testing like a ritual.
Here often local government is talking about sprinklers in residential
new construction. Today's vinyl sidding clad house is very bad in fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 10:53:11 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
G. Morgan wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

You can put 50 of them in your house, if you like. I don't see it doing
much to improve safety. Code 30 years ago was one on each level, one
in the hall outside bedroom areas. That works for me. Every house fire
death report in the news that I've ever seen, there were either no
smoke detectors, they had no batteries, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2015 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/18/2015 9:14 AM, Frank wrote:
We replaced all of them last year when she was cooking, an alarm went
off and drove us nuts trying to figure where when it turned out to be
the CO detector telling us it was dying.

We replaced with more expensive but long battery life detectors maybe
good for 10 years before sending at annoying warnings.

I bought a new smoke detector, and put the old
one on a high shelf. Couple months later, the
detector chirped. Took me a long time to find
the old one (out of sight, battery going weak)
as I'd forgot I put it on the shelf.

My Monoxide detector takes batteries three times
a year, the two AA cells go dead rapidly. The smokes
take 9 volt cell, I try to remember to replace every
time I change the clocks. Tempted to get the new
lithium cells, good for several years.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Mine were in first and 2nd floor hallways near stairs and when one would
start chirping it took a while to figure which one. Now with these long
lasting batteries, I should not hear anything for 10 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 8:30:11 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
[...]

I have that problem too. The chirp is so short and far apart that it can
be hard to figure out which one. The part I don't get is these are AC plus
battery, yet they start the chirping within about a year. One would think
that a battery that's only there for backup would last many years, basically
the shelf life minus whatever usage occurs during power outages, which here
isn't much. The other part that's a pain is one of them is up high where
it can't be reached with a stool or typical small ladder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 20:52:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

G. Morgan wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

Brick and aluminum for me!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 21:29:24 -0500, wrote:

Do not let people "insist" what you do.

You aren't married, are you???
Perhaps not married any more is more accurate??

Oh let me fantasize a moment on the Internet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2015 9:18 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I'm at the age where I'll pay an extra buck or two to avoid an annoyance
like this. Older folks are more at risk from a fall than from a fire.

Then a lot of devices that need batteries changed every year or so, e.g.
a thermostat, are not clearly marked on how to access the battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

G. Morgan wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

I recommend "overdoing" it, make no mistake. It was my profession for
many years.

The law does not prescribe an existing structure to be brought up to new
construction code, that's all I was repeating from the one who posted
before my comment.

--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Mine were in first and 2nd floor hallways near stairs and when one would
start chirping it took a while to figure which one. Now with these long
lasting batteries, I should not hear anything for 10 years.

I went on an 'emergency service call at 3AM one morning. The customer
insisted one of our smoke detectors was beeping, well I tried explaining
over the phone our monitored smokes don't "beep". They insisted I come
out anyway. They had been looking for the source for hours.

I went out, looked around the house for about 5 minutes and found a pager
on top of the fridge beeping. I tossed the guy his "bad smoke detector"
and told him I'd be right back. I came in with an invoice for the normal
service call plus an extra $120 for a late-night call that was
non-emergency. He was livid I was charging him about $250 to find his
beeping pager. I was not sympathetic. He woke me out of bed, and I
*knew* it had nothing to do with his fire system (I had called the
monitoring center for any signals).

I don't remember if I got a check that night or not, but I definitely
turned in the invoice to the office the next day.

I had another late-night call where the keypad *was* beeping. I tried to
tell him how to silence it over the phone, but he wouldn't hear of it.
Again he insisted I come out. When I got there a screwdriver was plunged
straight through the keypad. He silenced it alright. I charged him for
the keypad and the service call.

Don't think I was always a dick though... Most of the time there was a
legitimate reason for the late-night call. For those I fixed what I
could, silenced any nuisance noise, and apologized for any inconvenience,
no charge. I arranged for a lengthy service call the next day to check
the entire system and replace any parts I didn't have or would have taken
all night to fix.

--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 11:59:59 AM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

G. Morgan wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

It probably doesn't have to be brought up to current code for new
construction, but many places do have requirements specifically requiring
smoke detectors to obtain a new certificate of occupancy. So, I think it's
somewhere in the middle. Say you go to sell or rent out a house. Like
you say, there isn't a reqt to bring most of it up to current code. They
aren't going to make you change the kitchen wiring, as long as it was
compliant when built. But they may have laws that specifiy the minimum
with regard to smoke detectors. That's how it works here. To get the CO
there is a law that says you have to have the minimum with regard to
smoke detectors. The fact that the house didn't have them when it was
built 50 years ago doesn't matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

G. Morgan wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

Everyplace differs, that's why the best answer is always consult the AHJ.

--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:39:54 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that
it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least=20
here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code.
Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a=20
certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For

What does one need a C of O for? Serious question.

example, a smoke detector immediately outside a bedroom, as was
code years ago, is still compliant. As is using one for two bedrooms, if
those bedrooms are next to each other. etc.

I'd suggest he check what's required in his state and then decide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that
it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least=20
here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code.
Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a=20
certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For

What does one need a C of O for? Serious question.

When there is a change of occupancy for a residence, ie the property
is sold or a new tenanat moves in. Some places may not require them,
but many do. It's required in NJ. They send out an inspector(s) to
check basic safety and health related issues. For example, if you have
a well, a water test is required. They check for smoke detectors,
missing guard rails on porches, stairs, obviously leaking plumbing,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

What does one need a C of O for? Serious question.

In most (if not all) Texas jurisdictions it's for commercial buildings
where the public will be entering and also multi-tenant residential
buildings.

For existing residential single family homes or duplexes a simple home
inspection is all that it needed when the real estate changes ownership.
And that is only when financing is involved. For cash deals, inspections
are optional (but highly recommended of course).

New construction homes have to be inspected multiple times; electrical,
plumbing, structural, concrete slabs, etc... before the sheetrock covers
everything up. Then a final inspection by the city/county for the final
approval when the house is almost ready to go to market.

Here is the summary of the code in Dallas:
http://www.dallascityhall.com/buildi...-occupancy.pdf

WHEN DO I NEED A CERTIFICATE
OF OCCUPANCY (CO)?
The Dallas Development Code requires that
€œExcept for single family and duplex uses, a
person shall not use or change the use of a
building, a portion of a building, or land without
obtaining a certificate
of occupancy from the
building official€.

€¢ A new CO is required for the following:
€¢ First use of land or a building.
€¢ A change of use of land or a building.
€¢ A change of tenant on an existing CO.
€¢ Any change of floor area of an existing use.
--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that
it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least=20
here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code.
Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a=20
certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For

What does one need a C of O for? Serious question.

When there is a change of occupancy for a residence, ie the property
is sold or a new tenanat moves in. Some places may not require them,
but many do. It's required in NJ. They send out an inspector(s) to
check basic safety and health related issues. For example, if you have
a well, a water test is required. They check for smoke detectors,
missing guard rails on porches, stairs, obviously leaking plumbing,
etc.

Even on cash deals? Here in Houston the title company and banks require
it, but not the government.

--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, even cash deals. Rentals too. New tenant, you need a new CO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Strange state, NJ. I have some relatives there. They allow medical
marijuana, but its apparently illegal to sell it from a dispensary (from what
I hear).

Plus they don't seem to acknowledge the 2nd Amendment. Sure its legal to have
a gun in your home, but there is nowhere to buy them! I'm pretty sure they
are a "no issue" state for concealed carry too.

Is it still true you can't pump your own gas?

--
1 FREE lifetime domain registration!
DreamHost Promo Code "GMORG321"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not so strange, just infested with libs who've run it for
emough of the time, ie control of the Semate and Assembly forever....
The occasional Christie can only stem the tide, not turn it.

IDK about the marijuana thing. I know Christie was having some ruckus
about approving the dispensaries, or something, but really haven't followed it.

Plus they don't seem to acknowledge the 2nd Amendment. Sure its legal to have
a gun in your home, but there is nowhere to buy them!

Plenty of gun stores. I think Walmart sells them too. I know they sell ammo. There are a few problems though. One is that it's relatively easy to buy
a shotgun or rifle, just need the federal firearms ID. But you can't buy
or possess an "assault rifle". The Dems passed that restriction here decades
ago, so even though the federal ban is gone, they are still illegal in NJ.
Every once in awhile they catch some poor SOB that's driving through the
state, just got here, whatever and he winds up screwed because his rifle
has the wrong stock. Go figure.

And for a pistol, you need a permit for each one that you buy. You have
to apply at the local police. They start the investigation, including
running you buy the FBI. That takes months. Last time I did it, it
took close to a year. Then the permit is good for a limited period,
maybe 90 days or so. You can get more than one at a time though.

Speaking of getting screwed, they regularly arrest other poor SOBs at
JFK airport. Typical scenario is someone is coming from a state that
allows pistols, connecting at JFK to go on to somewhere else where
similarly the pistol would not be a problem. So, they walk up to American
Airlines in Dallas, declare the pistol that's in their luggage. No
problem, they put it on the plane with baggage. They
arrive at JFK and for whatever reason, can't connect to their other flight.
So, they have to stay overnight. They go retrieve their luggage, including
the pistol. They head off to a hotel, probably right at the airport.
Next day, they walk up to the AA check in counter and declare the pistol,
just like they did in Dallas. Except this time, AA calls the cops and
they are busted, big
time. JFK is withing NYC and without a permit, it's a mandatory jail
sentence. I think with a lot of high power legal help, probably from
the right law firm, they can often get it reduced to some lesser charge.
But they are still winding up at Rikers Island for a day or two on the
initial arrest, which must be a lovely experience, paying a lot in
legal fees, fines, having a record, etc. But heh, you gotta stop criminals, right?

I'm pretty sure they
are a "no issue" state for concealed carry too.

Correct, basically. You need a special permit, signed off on by a
judge and have to show a need to carry. So, unless you can make a
compelling case, for the average joe, forget about it.

Is it still true you can't pump your own gas?

Yes, only one of two states. The other is Oregon, unless it recently
changed there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
typed:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 11:49:02 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I only have one property that has an interconnected hardwired alarm
system with battery backup which has 5 detectors in the system. I
don't recall the batteries chirping on going bad very often. I have
had it happen once or twice in a few years, but only with one
battery at a time -- not all of them every year or so. But, that is
just a guess from memory since I didn't pay much attention to when
this was happening.

A number of years ago a friend had a smoke detector go bad in his
townhouse. We were unable to find a replacement that could be wired
into his existing system that would communicate with the other units,
or with each other if we replaced them all as hard-wires units. We
replaced them all with individual battery operated units.

My hunch is that in your friend's case back then, the wiring to the original
smoke detector that had gone bad was not working in the first place. If the
system is wired correctly, putting in a new detector to replace the "bad
one" should just be a matter of unplugging the old one and plugging in the
new one (preferably same brand etc). That should work if the system is
wired correctly.

When I bought and took over a triplex with a hard-wired 120 volt
interconnected smoke alarm system, one of the detectors "would not work" --
meaning that it would not set off the rest of the smoke detectors when it
went off. It turned out that the former owner had worked on the system and
did not have it wired correctly. I had a lot of rehab done on the property
after I bought it, and a friend and I fixed the wiring in the interconnected
alarm system so that all of the detectors worked correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 10:57:03 AM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
wrote:

I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX.
Probably about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's
probably why they have not received much attention. The are
hardwired to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't
believe they are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

It would be nice to have them on separate circuits, but not a code
requirement.

Should they be replaced ?

Yes, they *must* be replaced @ 10 years old per NFPA code. Monitored
detectors are exempt because they get inspected at least annually and
usually have replaceable sensing chambers. Stand-alone detectors
*must* be replaced every 10 years.

You'll see two types for sale, photoelectric and ionization. Get
photoelectric types. They will detect smoldering fires faster and
reduce false alarms.

Recommendations !?

Replace them with AC/DC type smokes (a backup battery) or just DC
ones. Also get ones with an "interlock" feature, when one trips -
they all sound. Now is a good time to bring it up to current code.

Place one outside of each sleeping area, for instance if there are 3
bedrooms upstairs and you can place one in the hall 15' (max range
from corners & walls) from one side of the hall and no more than 15'
from the other wall, one in the middle of the hall will suffice (the
hall is 30' long or less). If the hall is longer, place one no less
than 15' from one wall - then go up to 30' to the next one, etc..
For instance if the hall is 40' long place you need two detectors,
placed 10' off each wall for uniform coverage.

If there is a master bedroom on the 1st floor, one needs to be placed
outside of the MBR door. If there are two bedrooms downstairs on
each side of the condo and they are more than 30' apart you need one
outside EACH bedroom - else place one in between the two bedrooms if
the doors are within 15' of each other.

Also, a detector must be inside of each and every bedroom.

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that
it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least
here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code.
Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a
certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For
example, a smoke detector immediately outside a bedroom, as was
code years ago, is still compliant. As is using one for two
bedrooms, if
those bedrooms are next to each other. etc.

I am also in New Jersey and some towns have codes that exceed the statewide
code -- at least they do for rental properties. I am not sure if those
individual towns that have the higher standard also apply those standards to
owner-occupied homes when the property is sold etc.

For example, for rental properties, some towns require a smoke detector
INSIDE each bedroom as well as outside of bedrooms (within about 10 feet of
the bedroom, I think).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
trader_4 typed:

wrote:

[...]

That's correct regarding cash deals for residential properties. But, for
rentals, not every town requires a CO for every tenant change. Some do and
some don't. Some require an inspection every year even if there are no
tenant changes; some just require them at every tenant change; and some
require both -- every year AND every tenant change (ridiculous).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
G. Morgan typed:
trader_4 wrote:

Yes, even cash deals. Rentals too. New tenant, you need a new CO.

Strange state, NJ. I have some relatives there. They allow medical
marijuana, but its apparently illegal to sell it from a dispensary
(from what I hear).

Strange town -- Houston. I have relatives there (plus I live in New
Jersey).
I heard that Houston has very few zoning laws and allows oil wells next to
homes etc.

Is it still true you can't pump your own gas?

Yes, it's true that we are not forced to pump our own gas like it is in
almost every other state -- that's my way of putting it. You are correct
that we (in New Jersey) are not allowed to pump our own gas, but I think of
that as not being forced to pump our own gas. I always think it is weird
when I drive to Pennsylvania on a freezing cold or rainy day and not only
have to pay more per gallon for the gas there, but I have to get outside of
my car and pump the gas myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
bob haller typed:
Code reuires that line owered smoke detectors are on a circuit with a
freuently used light.

I never heard of any code that says that. I don't think the NEC says that.
But, maybe it is a local code where you are located. Where is it that you
know of that has that code? -- just curious; not being judgmental.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How old is too old for a smoke detector ? Yup

G. Morgan posted for all of us...

Strange state, NJ. I have some relatives there. They allow medical
marijuana, but its apparently illegal to sell it from a dispensary (from what
I hear).

Yup, catch 22. I think there is now one for the entire state.

Plus they don't seem to acknowledge the 2nd Amendment. Sure its legal to have
a gun in your home, but there is nowhere to buy them! I'm pretty sure they
are a "no issue" state for concealed carry too.

You can buy them but not carry them IIRC. CC permits are "may issue" so they
don't.

I'm in PA & my permit is not valid in any surrounding state. A story from 5-
6 months ago is a single mom with a PA permit drove over to NJ and subject
to a traffic stop. IDK if she declared the gun or not but the PD slapped her
in jail and the prosecutor made a big deal of it. IDR what the disposition
of the case was but they were talking jail time at one point. Made a
criminal out of a unblemished record single mom. Meanwhile they roam free in
Newark...

Is it still true you can't pump your own gas?

Yup.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:01:17 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

[...]

No, the wiring was fine - but the brand and style originally installed
no longer existed, and no other brand was wired the same way. We just
gave up and installed battery-op units - back then there were not
wireless communincating systems available so they were "stand-alone"

When I bought and took over a triplex with a hard-wired 120 volt
interconnected smoke alarm system, one of the detectors "would not work" --
meaning that it would not set off the rest of the smoke detectors when it
went off. It turned out that the former owner had worked on the system and
did not have it wired correctly. I had a lot of rehab done on the property
after I bought it, and a friend and I fixed the wiring in the interconnected
alarm system so that all of the detectors worked correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that
it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least=20
here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code.
Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a=20
certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For

What does one need a C of O for? Serious question.

example, a smoke detector immediately outside a bedroom, as was
code years ago, is still compliant. As is using one for two bedrooms, if
those bedrooms are next to each other. etc.

I'd suggest he check what's required in his state and then decide.

In some jurisdictions without a certificate of occupancy it is illegal
to live in the house.

Up here that is not a problem, but smoke detectors are manditory - and
now CO detectors as well.

Required to get insurance, and you will be fined if they are not
installed and working at an inspection - this is most important for
rental properties where inspection is manditory as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that
it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least=20
here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code.
Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a=20
certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For

What does one need a C of O for? Serious question.

When there is a change of occupancy for a residence, ie the property
is sold or a new tenanat moves in. Some places may not require them,
but many do. It's required in NJ. They send out an inspector(s) to
check basic safety and health related issues. For example, if you have
a well, a water test is required. They check for smoke detectors,
missing guard rails on porches, stairs, obviously leaking plumbing,
etc.

Thanks, I guess they don't have that here, Maryland or Baltimore County.

Probably for renting a house they do, but not buying.

Even on cash deals? Here in Houston the title company and banks require
it, but not the government.

Related to cash: I had applied for a mortgage and should have had it
before the closing, but the annoying mortgate guy asked for new stuff.
So I borrowed 50,000 from my brother (who doesn't usually have so much
(30 years ago) liquid, but was hoping to find and buy a medical
practice.)

I think someone explicitly told me no personal checks, but I asked my
brother for a certified check, but he ignored me and I showed up with my
brother's check from the Dreyfus Fund, which may have sounded impressive
30 years ago but is really just a personal check. They took it without
a comment. Maybe any personal check woudl have gotten the same
response?

Because there was no bank there, there was no one to require homeowners
insurance. I got it on my own a little later Then I got a mortgage
about 90 days later, but then the bank must have assumed I had
homeowners insurance, because they didn't ask, didn't say a word.

Because of an obnoxious law-violating seller's real estate agent, I'd
hired a lawyer, and back at that first closing, he didn't do anything
about title insurance and I left without any. When I questioned him,
he said I didn't need it (EVen though my lot was oddly shaped broken
out of a much bigger parcel, also oddly shaped, and only created 4 years
earlier. In fact it had turned out that the whole HOA didn't own what
it thought it owned and had to swap land with an adjacent propery owner.
The real reason the lawyer didn't get me insurance is that he was
charging a flat price. Ugh)

And I knew a lot, at least book learning, about property law. I can't
imagine how someone buying the first house in his family, when his
parents rented, must feel when he goes through this. Chewed up and
spit out, I'll bet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message Because there was no
[...]

The lawyers have it set so that if they make a mistake, it is the home
owner/buyer that pays the price, not them.

In a town next to me a developer had about 15 home owners paying him for
about 10 or more years. He was not using that money to pay off the bank
loan, and the home owners found out they had not really payed off anything
on their houses and had to start all over.

While probably not needed, I think I would get the title insurance. I did
on the last house I bought even though I payed cash for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR wrote:

In ,
G. Morgan typed:
trader_4 wrote:

Yes, even cash deals. Rentals too. New tenant, you need a new CO.

Strange state, NJ. I have some relatives there. They allow medical
marijuana, but its apparently illegal to sell it from a dispensary
(from what I hear).

Strange town -- Houston. I have relatives there (plus I live in New
Jersey).

Lol...

I heard that Houston has very few zoning laws and allows oil wells next to
homes etc.

There are no zoning laws. I have never seen an oil pump next to someone's home
though. There are some old derricks about 50 years old still pumping in areas
you wouldn't expect to see, but they are a novelty if you see one. Very few
properties are sold with mineral rights in Harris County. The few I've seen
still operational are in Humble, TX (pronounced "umm-bulll") which was where
present day Exxon got started. They are small pumps, could fit inside of a two
car garage probably.

I think there was a discussion about Houston in this NG last year. No zoning
has had no detrimental effects as one might expect. Being the 4th largest US
city, some may have a mental picture that things look all chaotic. It doesn't
look any different from any other big city with zoning. It turns out the city
"zones" itself without government interference. People organically setup
residential areas away from industrial areas (go figure!).

Is it still true you can't pump your own gas?

Yes, it's true that we are not forced to pump our own gas like it is in
almost every other state -- that's my way of putting it. You are correct
that we (in New Jersey) are not allowed to pump our own gas, but I think of
that as not being forced to pump our own gas. I always think it is weird
when I drive to Pennsylvania on a freezing cold or rainy day and not only
have to pay more per gallon for the gas there, but I have to get outside of
my car and pump the gas myself.

I honestly don't know where I could go for full-service refueling. I usually
pay at the pump with a credit/debt card and stick my gas cap in between the
handle and lever actuator while its fueling. I'll walk into the store if I
need something during the process, or wash the windshield while its gassing
up. It never gets icy or snowing, and if its raining all the pumps are under
a covered roof anyway.

Gas prices are about $1.80 right now, so I get a less expensive bill than you
more than likely (I'm not going to Google prices in NJ just for this
discussion). I don't have to tip the attendant either! Since I'm used to
doing it myself, I don't know what I'm missing anyway. The gas pumps even
have little 10" TV screens that show the news or some other mindless
entertainment while the pump is on. I can only imagine an elderly person
visiting one of the other 48 states that don't offer full-service trying to
figure out these computerized pumps. It probably would be confusing if they
have not been outside of NJ in decades trying to work a computer that just
happens to dispense petrol!

North or South Jersey? My relatives live south (apple & peach orchards), not
the north (cripts & bloods) - we have plenty of those types here too of course
;-) I do miss those Jersey tomatoes and hoagies though.

--
1 FREE lifetime domain registration!
DreamHost Promo Code "GMORG321"
https://signup.dreamhost.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

Sounds like your lawyer screwed you. You were exposed big-time until you
finally got the insurance! The fact he didn't have a survey done is also
scary. You probably could have sued him for errors and omissions . At least
maybe you would have got your money back from him. Even though it was a cash
deal, a Realtor wouldn't have missed that - probably worth the 6%.

--
1 FREE lifetime domain registration!
DreamHost Promo Code "GMORG321"
https://signup.dreamhost.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

After reading all the posts questioning the age of smoke detectors, I
decided to replace my hard wired units original to the house. I was
concerned about the inter connection and how it is done, but turns
out, it is just another wire with a wire nut in the box. Easy to do.
My new units arrived yesterday and I'll put them in this weekend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 5:48:10 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
After reading all the posts questioning the age of smoke detectors, I
decided to replace my hard wired units original to the house. I was
concerned about the inter connection and how it is done, but turns
out, it is just another wire with a wire nut in the box. Easy to do.
My new units arrived yesterday and I'll put them in this weekend.

I'd like to find smoke alarms that have a pre-warning that comes on
for 15 secs or so before the main blast goes off, so that you at least
know the big one is coming instead of being totally shocked by it.
They do that with burglar alarms. In my house, even 15 secs would
give me enough time to head off 90% of the false alarms, ie some
smoke from cooking. I'm sure soom loon will chime in with "but that
15 secs could make the difference between life and death..." I don't
care. The chances of that making a difference is just about nil.
And I'd rather forgo the chance of having a heart attack from being
startled out of the blue by some non-fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
G. Morgan typed:
TomR wrote:

In ,
G. Morgan typed:
trader_4 wrote:

Yes, even cash deals. Rentals too. New tenant, you need a new CO.

Strange state, NJ. I have some relatives there. They allow medical
marijuana, but its apparently illegal to sell it from a dispensary
(from what I hear).

Strange town -- Houston. I have relatives there (plus I live in New
Jersey).

Lol...

I heard that Houston has very few zoning laws and allows oil wells
next to homes etc.

There are no zoning laws. . . ,
No zoning has had no detrimental effects as one might expect.

I know we are getting off topic here but . . . ,

I like the idea of no zoning laws, and I have heard that not having zoning
laws in Houston works fine, although I have never actually been to Houston.
I hate over-regulation in general. Some regulation is fine, but it is
overdone in every area that I have lived or worked.

Gas prices are about $1.80 right now, so I get a less expensive bill
than you more than likely (I'm not going to Google prices in NJ just
for this discussion). I don't have to tip the attendant either!

Gas prices where I am keep going down. They have been in the low $1.80's
and I did see one yesterday at $1.79 -- plus almost no one ever tips the gas
attendants here.

North or South Jersey? My relatives live south (apple & peach
orchards), not the north (cripts & bloods) - we have plenty of those
types here too of course ;-) I do miss those Jersey tomatoes and
hoagies though.

South Jersey -- Camden County. Most of the former apple and peach orchards
in our county are now housing developments, shopping centers, industrial
warehouse and office centers, etc. Your relatives sound like they may be in
Burlington, Gloucester, Cumberland, or Ocean County where they still have
apple and peach orchards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:43:37 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
G. Morgan typed:
TomR wrote:

In ,
G. Morgan typed:
trader_4 wrote:

Yes, even cash deals. Rentals too. New tenant, you need a new CO.

Strange state, NJ. I have some relatives there. They allow medical
marijuana, but its apparently illegal to sell it from a dispensary
(from what I hear).

Strange town -- Houston. I have relatives there (plus I live in New
Jersey).

Lol...

I heard that Houston has very few zoning laws and allows oil wells
next to homes etc.

There are no zoning laws. . . ,
No zoning has had no detrimental effects as one might expect.

I know we are getting off topic here but . . . ,

I like the idea of no zoning laws,

I think if someone opens a 7-11 on a lot next to your house or puts
up a 50 unit low income apartment building there, or puts a scrap yard
next to your professional office, etc, you'd probably change that opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:43:37 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
G. Morgan typed:
TomR wrote:

In ,
G. Morgan typed:
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

I have to say that I honestly wouldn't care about any of that.

For example, if I had a home on a lot that was next door to another lot that
would work for a 7-11, or a 50-unit low income apartment building, or even a
scrap yard -- I think that someone putting any of those things there would
add commercial value to my property. And, I would want to be able to change
my own single family home into a multiple family dwelling, or an office
building, or whatever without being told that I could not due to zoning
laws.

My feeling is that I bought it, I own it, and I should be able to do
whatever I want with it -- and that should apply for whoever owns adjacent
or nearby properties.

I know that we think differently about these things, but that is honestly
how I feel about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 11:28:38 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:43:37 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
G. Morgan typed:
TomR wrote:

In ,
G. Morgan typed:
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

Well then you're unique, because most of us do.

For example, if I had a home on a lot that was next door to another lot that
would work for a 7-11, or a 50-unit low income apartment building, or even a
scrap yard -- I think that someone putting any of those things there would
add commercial value to my property.

Not if you're single family house is on a single family size lot that
can't support a 7-11 or similar. The guy next door happens to have a
big lot that can support a scrap yard, you don't. You're screwed.
The reality is your property value would go down, because few people want to live next to a 7-11 with people coming and going all night or next to a
scrap yard, etc. I for one don't.

And, I would want to be able to change
my own single family home into a multiple family dwelling, or an office
building, or whatever without being told that I could not due to zoning
laws.

How about if I pile up junk cars on the front lawn, that OK too?
Despite what you say, I'm sure when that scrap yard went in next door,
you'd have a very different opinion.

My feeling is that I bought it, I own it, and I should be able to do
whatever I want with it -- and that should apply for whoever owns adjacent
or nearby properties.

I know that we think differently about these things, but that is honestly
how I feel about it.

It would lead to chaos. Every asshole could do anything they wanted to.
And there are plenty of assholes out there. You'd have giant houses on
tiny lots. The next door neighbor desides to go into the septic tank
cleanout business, decides to use his backyard to run it out of. That
would be swell. I suppose that would make your property worth more too.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 10:45:13 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
G. Morgan typed:
TomR wrote:

In ,
G. Morgan typed:
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

It works in Houston because if anyone decided to put an oil well, or a
junkyard, or any other unsavory land use next to high end residential
he'd get shot - and he knows it.

That's "self zoning" in action!!!

Smoke Detector Camdor UK diy 8 May 18th 10 03:36 PM
Smoke Detector ? nr Home Repair 4 December 4th 07 12:48 AM
smoke detector No Name Home Repair 6 August 13th 07 12:46 AM
Smoke detector batteries Jim-Poncin Home Repair 1 November 15th 05 06:37 PM
Smoke detector and CO detector installed next to each other? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 02:46 AM