Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How old is too old for a smoke detector ?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 11:49:02 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 6:58:31 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In news typed:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:00:22 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:01:23 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX.
Probably about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's
probably why they have not received much attention. The are
hardwired to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't
believe they are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

Should they be replaced ?

tHAT's what they say.

You could light a fire under one of them and see if the alarm goes
off. You wouldn't need a big fire, even a wooden match would do I
think even a wooden match that had been extinguished would make
enough smoke.

The problem is that you woudn't know if it was as sensitive as it
should be. I guess you should have done this when you first moved
in, so you'd have a standard to compare with.

Recommendations !?

Thanks
Should be replaced every 8 to 10 years.

Getting direct replacements for your line powered interconnected
units may not be as simple as adding battery operated independent
units.

I think if he unplugs one unit and brings it to a Home Depot or
Lowes or ACE Hardware etc., they will have compatible units that can
be used for replacements -- and probably they will be hardwired
units with a battery backup in case of power failure. That's what I
did with a 110-volt AC hardwired interconnected alarm system that I
have.

Unfortunately, I think code requires that they be battery backed up
now. I'd rather just have the AC ones and not have to deal with
screwing around every year with changing batteries. Yeah, the
battery backup provides a little extra safety, but not worth it to me.

I am not sure if replacing old detectors that were up to code when they were
put in would require bringing the new system up to the current code. But, I
would go with the battery backup models if it is do-able since that is
safer. I am just guessing that the alarm systems have battery backups in
case there is an electrical malfunction or short that causes a fire and also
causes the power to go off.

Another curious thing I don't understand. The AC plus battery back
up ones I've had experience with, the batteries have to be replaced
about once a year, they start beeping. What's up with that? You
would think AC would power the thing, with the battery only being
called on when the AC goes out. But if that were the case, then the
batteries should last a few years. Any idea what's up with that? Any
experience?

I only have one property that has an interconnected hardwired alarm system
with battery backup which has 5 detectors in the system. I don't recall the
batteries chirping on going bad very often. I have had it happen once or
twice in a few years, but only with one battery at a time -- not all of them
every year or so. But, that is just a guess from memory since I didn't pay
much attention to when this was happening.

A number of years ago a friend had a smoke detector go bad in his
townhouse. We were unable to find a replacement that could be wired
into his existing system that would communicate with the other units,
or with each orher if we replaced them all as hard-wires units. We
replaced them all with individual battery operated units

Kidde now has wireless battery operated interconnected alarms that can
be "hushed" from any station. They also have combo cosmoke detectors
that do not have replaceable batteries - you change the whole unit
every 10 years. - available as standalone or 120 volt direct wired
with 10 year backup battery.