Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Connecting Internet from Cable TV Provider

I posted a sketch for this at alt.binaries.schematics.electronic and alt.binaries.schematics.electronics. Can't post to websites right now due to 3-15Kbps connection speed proudly provided by Verizon DSL. If you can't access those groups, pls tell me what binary groups you can access and I'll post it again.

Does the attached sketch look like a reasonable cable routing? I'm trying to keep the cable as short as possible and to keep from running cable thru the attic.

Are these things reasonable, or something the installer might not want to do?....

1. The last TV cable (removed 20 years ago) had been connected at the same place as the telephone cable which now run through a tree. So I'm thinking a new cable connection up high would be a quicker installation and shorter length. Also will save having them come out again when tree-trimming time comes around. Phone lines can be removed once cable is installed.

2. I noticed that the neighbor's cable was run on the outside of the fascia board. It looks bad and is exposed to the weather. Is it reasonable to ask that it be installed on the inside of the fascia?

3. I have been told there will be a new interconnection box installed on an outside wall. I'd like to have it installed on the garage wall and not on either of the house walls because of plans to add on to those 2 walls.

Thanks fellers!!

SJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's a mediocre sketch for anyone who doesn't have access to binary groups....

Viewed sketch with courier or other fixed font:

A = Cable from pole to be fastened here on house
AB = Cable to run under eaves, fastened to inside of fascia board
B = Cable interconnection box high under eaves. New hole for cable near box to enter through garage and run along wall near ceiling
C = Cable to drop down and enter office thru new hole in garage/office wall
o = New cable
= : Wall
| : Wall
.. : Empty space

==================================
|................|...............|
|...GARAGE.......|.....OFFICE....|
|...............C|...............|
|..............oo|oo.PC..........|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|================
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|....ROOM.......|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|================
|..............o.|B..............A
|..............o-|oooooooooooooooo
|................|
==================

..............OUTSIDE..............

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2014 3:01 PM, Sasquatch Jones wrote:
I posted a sketch for this at alt.binaries.schematics.electronic and alt.binaries.schematics.electronics. Can't post to websites right now due to 3-15Kbps connection speed proudly provided by Verizon DSL. If you can't access those groups, pls tell me what binary groups you can access and I'll post it again.

Does the attached sketch look like a reasonable cable routing? I'm trying to keep the cable as short as possible and to keep from running cable thru the attic.

Are these things reasonable, or something the installer might not want to do?....

Anything you want SHOULD be reasonable, however, for a variety of
reasons, not the least of which being liability and "it's our policy"
you may have some trouble.

What you are proposing will undoubtedly be something more than the
standard installation (which may be free or some nominal charge). I'd
expect to see a charge and not a nominal one.

When I switch satellite television companies, I ran into this same
thing: "We can't mount the dish here, it has to go on the roof." "We
can't run the cable here, it has to go..."

That was per the subcontractor working for the company. Fortunately for
me, I had done some legal work for the satellite company and had made my
arrangements and cut my subscription deal directly with their regional
manager. Only guy higher for my particular area was at their corporate
HQ. I made a call while the sub was there, handed him the telephone and
things were installed per my wishes. Game, set, match and no upcharge.g

That said, you should be able - based on your addition plans - to
dictate where the box will located. You're doing them a solid and if
they balk, just tell them to have their boss write up an agreement to
move the box when the time comes at no charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:01:41 -0800, "Sasquatch Jones"
wrote:

I posted a sketch for this at alt.binaries.schematics.electronic and alt.binaries.schematics.electronics. Can't post to websites right now due to 3-15Kbps connection speed proudly provided by Verizon DSL. If you can't access those groups, pls tell me what binary groups you can access and I'll post it again.

What did I miss? You can post a file to a Usenet binary groups, but
you can't upload the file to a free web photo hosting site with a URL
link posted here? Seems they would be one in the same, only
different.

AHR is a text group, URL's posted here will let us get to the photo
file so we can see the file photo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I posted a sketch for this at alt.binaries.schematics.electronic and alt.binaries.schematics.electronics. Can't post to websites right now due to 3-15Kbps connection speed proudly provided by Verizon DSL. If you can't access those groups, pls tell me what binary groups you can access and I'll post it again.

What did I miss? You can post a file to a Usenet binary groups, but
you can't upload the file to a free web photo hosting site with a URL
link posted here? Seems they would be one in the same, only
different.

AHR is a text group, URL's posted here will let us get to the photo
file so we can see the file photo.

And so will posts to binary groups allow us to see what he's talking
about.

I found his post at the first of the ng's he listed. It wasn't much
trouble. I only dl'd 10 headers and his was 8th from the last.
Then, even though some or all of the attachment was displaying in hex, I
right-clicked and clicked on Launch Attachment and it opened in my
browser. Easy enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I see no reason to subscribe to a binary group when it isn't
necessary. Text groups work just fine for me. A simple URL to a free
hosting site has worked just fine for most all people here. For those
not using binary groups.

The guy can post to a binary group, worry about his upload DSL speed
but can't use the same speed for a free site? And post the URL here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I made my point. I don't feell motivated to go into more detail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:15:31 -0800, Oren wrote:

I see no reason to subscribe to a binary group when it isn't
necessary. Text groups work just fine for me. A simple URL to a free
hosting site has worked just fine for most all people here. For those
not using binary groups.

The guy can post to a binary group, worry about his upload DSL speed
but can't use the same speed for a free site? And post the URL here?

Yes, that is correct, Oral. Like yourself, I don't understand why it is either. I suspect it may have something to do with site handshaking that is not a factor with usenet, butt, I'm not the computer wiz that you are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:01:43 PM UTC-5, Sasquatch Jones wrote:
Here's a mediocre sketch for anyone who doesn't have access to binary groups....

Viewed sketch with courier or other fixed font:

A = Cable from pole to be fastened here on house
AB = Cable to run under eaves, fastened to inside of fascia board
B = Cable interconnection box high under eaves. New hole for cable near box to enter through garage and run along wall near ceiling
C = Cable to drop down and enter office thru new hole in garage/office wall
o = New cable
= : Wall
| : Wall
. : Empty space

==================================
|................|...............|
|...GARAGE.......|.....OFFICE....|
|...............C|...............|
|..............oo|oo.PC..........|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|================
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|....ROOM.......|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|...............|
|..............o.|================
|..............o.|B..............A
|..............o-|oooooooooooooooo
|................|
==================

.............OUTSIDE..............

One aspect that no one has mentioned so far is that per NEC, all the
services are supposed to be grounded at the same point. Which is to
say the electric, landline phone, cable, etc are all supposed to come
into the building at the same point. Years ago, they would do it anywhere
and just use a cold water pipe for ground. You might be able to convince
the installers to do it otherwise, but single point grounding is code
and what they do with new installs here. There is good reason for it,
which is to eliminate potential differences during lightning and similar
surges.

Other than that, how to best run the cable, without being there, it's
not possible to say. Generally, it's not that particular. You just
want to run it as easy as possible and second shorter runs are better.
I didn't see anything in the plan as to where the router is going,
wireless router?, where PCs that are to be ethernet connected would be,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

1. Where does the electric service attach? The common bonding of
grounds that others write about is true and it must bond to power.
Bonding direct to phone is not preferred.

2. Totally the installer's choice. Offer a $ tip for better
craftsmanship.

3. The box on the side of the house will house the grounding block so
expect it to be near the bonded ground at the power meter.

#1 & #3 may be subjected to quality control inspections that the
installer does not want to be gigged for.