Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Supplementary bonding - connecting cable and CPC?

I'm sorting out the supplementary bonding in my bathroom at the moment,
and understand that I need to connect the 4mm bonding cable to the CPC
of the shaver-light.

To be strictly kosher, how should that be achieved in practice? The
shaver-light is wired from a junction box on the upstairs lighting
circuit, but clearly the terminals aren't big enough to take the 4mm
cable. I imagine that if I used a choc-box affair instead, with big
enough terminals, these wouldn't grip the small 1mm wires of the
lighting cable. Is it allowed to cut off a couple of strands of the
bonding cable so it fits into the jcb terminal? That sounds decidedly
dodgy to me - but if not, what's the correct way?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I'm sorting out the supplementary bonding in my bathroom at the moment,
and understand that I need to connect the 4mm bonding cable to the CPC
of the shaver-light.

To be strictly kosher, how should that be achieved in practice? The
shaver-light is wired from a junction box on the upstairs lighting
circuit, but clearly the terminals aren't big enough to take the 4mm
cable. I imagine that if I used a choc-box affair instead, with big
enough terminals, these wouldn't grip the small 1mm wires of the
lighting cable. Is it allowed to cut off a couple of strands of the
bonding cable so it fits into the jcb terminal? That sounds decidedly
dodgy to me - but if not, what's the correct way?

Using a JB intended for power rather than lighting circuits would give
you the terminal space. If you use one of the MK ones with individual
wire holes in each terminal, you ought to have no difficulty gripping
the smaller CPC (you can always fold the end over to make a bigger
target). Shaving strands off the bonding conductor is not good practice!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
I'm sorting out the supplementary bonding in my bathroom at the moment,
and understand that I need to connect the 4mm bonding cable to the CPC of
the shaver-light.

To be strictly kosher, how should that be achieved in practice? The
shaver-light is wired from a junction box on the upstairs lighting
circuit, but clearly the terminals aren't big enough to take the 4mm
cable. I imagine that if I used a choc-box affair instead, with big
enough terminals, these wouldn't grip the small 1mm wires of the lighting
cable. Is it allowed to cut off a couple of strands of the bonding cable
so it fits into the jcb terminal? That sounds decidedly dodgy to me - but
if not, what's the correct way?

Thanks
David

Is there no space at the bathroom lightfitting or pull switch to take this
4mm cable to?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
I'm sorting out the supplementary bonding in my bathroom at the
moment, and understand that I need to connect the 4mm bonding cable to
the CPC of the shaver-light.

To be strictly kosher, how should that be achieved in practice? The
shaver-light is wired from a junction box on the upstairs lighting
circuit, but clearly the terminals aren't big enough to take the 4mm
cable. I imagine that if I used a choc-box affair instead, with big
enough terminals, these wouldn't grip the small 1mm wires of the
lighting cable. Is it allowed to cut off a couple of strands of the
bonding cable so it fits into the jcb terminal? That sounds decidedly
dodgy to me - but if not, what's the correct way?

Is there no space at the bathroom lightfitting or pull switch to take
this 4mm cable to?

Thanks for the replies.

Light fittings are 12V downlighters, whose transformers are wired (IIRC)
to the same JCB I'm talking about (or a similar one).

Thinking about it though... the light switch is an ordinary wall switch
outside the bathroom door, mounted in a stud partition - there will be a
redundant CPC inside the switch backbox, which would be a much more
convenient location to run the 4mm cable to than all the way up to the
ceiling (either the cable will have to run within the stud partition
which will require a bit of "surgery"). So I could connect it to the
CPC in the lightswitch with a single large-size terminal connector.
Excellent.

Thanks
David