Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Supplementary bonding - connecting cable and CPC?

Lobster wrote:

I'm sorting out the supplementary bonding in my bathroom at the moment,
and understand that I need to connect the 4mm bonding cable to the CPC
of the shaver-light.

To be strictly kosher, how should that be achieved in practice? The
shaver-light is wired from a junction box on the upstairs lighting
circuit, but clearly the terminals aren't big enough to take the 4mm
cable. I imagine that if I used a choc-box affair instead, with big
enough terminals, these wouldn't grip the small 1mm wires of the
lighting cable. Is it allowed to cut off a couple of strands of the
bonding cable so it fits into the jcb terminal? That sounds decidedly
dodgy to me - but if not, what's the correct way?

Using a JB intended for power rather than lighting circuits would give
you the terminal space. If you use one of the MK ones with individual
wire holes in each terminal, you ought to have no difficulty gripping
the smaller CPC (you can always fold the end over to make a bigger
target). Shaving strands off the bonding conductor is not good practice!

--
Cheers,

John.