Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One cable for internet and TV

I have a question. There is one cable coming to the room that I have
sublet for internet and TV. Every time I wanna use TV I have to unplug
the Internet and vice versa. Is there a way to get an aparatus to use
both of them at the same time? I am in canada and TV internet cable is
rogers

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
wrote:

I have a question. There is one cable coming to the room that I have
sublet for internet and TV. Every time I wanna use TV I have to unplug
the Internet and vice versa. Is there a way to get an aparatus to use
both of them at the same time? I am in canada and TV internet cable is
rogers

No. It's impossible. Go back to dialup for internet access.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

they'll probably hand you a splitter and some connecting cables at your
cable company.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I have a splitter and a switching splitter. A switch may or may not be
needed to keep signal strength high. Call the cable company to see what
they recommend. Any hardware store should have what you need to make
unplugging unesesary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have been reading this thread - and have what may be a dumb
question...

Does the same cable that connects to TVs also provide internet service
in the USA too? We have cable (Bright House) for TV but it is basic
service so there is no box with it...we just hook up the TV to the
cable. In another room, we have a cable with modem for the internet
(Road Runner)...and it is connected to a router which is then connected
to the computer. I had no idea the same cable could do both things.
If we wanted to hook up a TV to the RR cable, could we do that? I
mean, buy a splitter, or perhaps figure out a way to setup a wireless
connection to the TV.? Just wondering.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been reading this thread - and have what may be a dumb
question...

Does the same cable that connects to TVs also provide internet service
in the USA too? We have cable (Bright House) for TV but it is basic
service so there is no box with it...we just hook up the TV to the
cable. In another room, we have a cable with modem for the internet
(Road Runner)...and it is connected to a router which is then connected
to the computer. I had no idea the same cable could do both things.
If we wanted to hook up a TV to the RR cable, could we do that? I
mean, buy a splitter, or perhaps figure out a way to setup a wireless
connection to the TV.? Just wondering.

In the US the same cable that has the TV signal also has the cable internet
on it. YOu can take your cable modem and hook it to any TV connection in
the house or you could take any TV and hook it to the wire going to the
cable modem. The only place you may run into problems is if there are
splitters or amplifiers in the lines. The cable modem usually needs a
higher level than the TV does to work. Also the amplifiers may be one way
amplifiers and will not work on the internet.

In otherwords the cable comming into the house has all the signals on it.
Usually a single splitter is used to send the maximum signal direct to the
internet modem and the other side of the splitter is then sent to all the TV
sets and other splitters for them if more than one TV is in use.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 8 Apr 2006 12:12:55 -0700, "
wrote:

I have been reading this thread - and have what may be a dumb
question...

Does the same cable that connects to TVs also provide internet service
in the USA too? We have cable (Bright House) for TV but it is basic
service so there is no box with it...we just hook up the TV to the
cable. In another room, we have a cable with modem for the internet
(Road Runner)...and it is connected to a router which is then connected
to the computer. I had no idea the same cable could do both things.
If we wanted to hook up a TV to the RR cable, could we do that? I

Yes, but you would only see 1's and 0's.

In various sequences.

Actually, I think it depends on the way the provider has it set up.
In Dallas I think there are two cables coming into the house, but
apparently in that part of Canada, there is only one.

mean, buy a splitter, or perhaps figure out a way to setup a wireless
connection to the TV.? Just wondering.

I think you could only use a router for tv for any digital stations on
the cable, and not for any other stations. All of the internet is
digital (1's and 0's) so it works.

BTW, I was kidding in my first line above. You would see some mixture
of black and white dots or areas, parts might look different shades of
grey, I think, but they wouldn't actually be the numbers one or zero.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:22:56 +0000 (UTC),
(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

In article ,
Shane Glaseman wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On 7 Apr 2006 20:29:45 -0700,
wrote:

I have a question. There is one cable coming to the room that I have
sublet for internet and TV. Every time I wanna use TV I have to unplug
the Internet and vice versa. Is there a way to get an aparatus to use
both of them at the same time? I am in canada and TV internet cable is
rogers

Go get a 1gz splitter. The cable company should give you one tho.

He'll also need two new, assumably short, lengths of cable to go from the
splitter to each device. Let's at least save him that second trip to the
electronics store, cursing us for not giving complete information (no, it's
not obvious, if you've never done it before).

Lets not forget that these cables need to be high quality RG-6 or better,
not the crappy 30% shielded RG-59 junk with push-on connectors that you get in
the box with your VCR, which should be thrown in the junk pile..

RG6 or RG59 makes little difference for shorter cables. Push-on
connectors are leakier and less physically secure. I always use screw
connectors except for short tests. Same for crimped cable ends (with a
good crimper).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On 8 Apr 2006 12:12:55 -0700, "
wrote:

I have been reading this thread - and have what may be a dumb
question...

Does the same cable that connects to TVs also provide internet service
in the USA too? We have cable (Bright House) for TV but it is basic
service so there is no box with it...we just hook up the TV to the
cable. In another room, we have a cable with modem for the internet
(Road Runner)...and it is connected to a router which is then connected
to the computer. I had no idea the same cable could do both things.
If we wanted to hook up a TV to the RR cable, could we do that? I
mean, buy a splitter, or perhaps figure out a way to setup a wireless
connection to the TV.? Just wondering.

Here (in east Texas) I have cable TV (not digital) and cable internet.
The first thing the cable connects to when it enters the house is a
1:2 splitter, with one side connected directly to the cable modem.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Vaughan

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:22:56 +0000 (UTC),
(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

In article ,
Shane Glaseman wrote:

wrote in message
On 7 Apr 2006 20:29:45 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

I'll agree that at those lengths, the loss of the cable makes litle difference,
but what I'm concerned with is the shielding of the cable.

Cable TV is a closed system.. it uses the same frequencies within the system
that are also used by other users of the RF spectrum. Using inadequately
shielded cables can lead to interference to the cable tv signal from outside
sources, and more importantly, can lead to the cable tv system causing
interference to the outside services, which can include public safety,
broadcast media, cellphones, amateur radio, etc.

Bottom line: use high quality low-loss cables, preferably with double or quad
shielding, and 95-100% shield coverage.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:43:27 +0000 (UTC),
(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:22:56 +0000 (UTC),

(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

In article ,
Shane Glaseman wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On 7 Apr 2006 20:29:45 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

And keep the shield complete at the connectors. The twist-on
connectors can do a poor job of that. There was an obvious improvement
when I started using the crimped ones.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Drilling holes & cable Sam S. Home Repair 17 November 3rd 05 06:43 AM
Thompson RCA Warranty Rip-Off Crock Lie [email protected] Electronics Repair 19 February 28th 05 06:05 AM
Need Cable TV expert - I have questions exray Electronics Repair 4 March 28th 04 02:29 PM
Car aerial cable ARWadsworth UK diy 18 February 25th 04 04:12 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM