Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default One cable for internet and TV

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:43:27 +0000 (UTC),
(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:22:56 +0000 (UTC),

(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

In article ,
Shane Glaseman wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On 7 Apr 2006 20:29:45 -0700,
wrote:

I have a question. There is one cable coming to the room that I have
sublet for internet and TV. Every time I wanna use TV I have to unplug
the Internet and vice versa. Is there a way to get an aparatus to use
both of them at the same time? I am in canada and TV internet cable is
rogers

Go get a 1gz splitter. The cable company should give you one tho.

He'll also need two new, assumably short, lengths of cable to go from the
splitter to each device. Let's at least save him that second trip to the
electronics store, cursing us for not giving complete information (no, it's
not obvious, if you've never done it before).

Lets not forget that these cables need to be high quality RG-6 or better,
not the crappy 30% shielded RG-59 junk with push-on connectors that you get in
the box with your VCR, which should be thrown in the junk pile..

RG6 or RG59 makes little difference for shorter cables. Push-on
connectors are leakier and less physically secure. I always use screw
connectors except for short tests. Same for crimped cable ends (with a
good crimper).

I'll agree that at those lengths, the loss of the cable makes litle difference,
but what I'm concerned with is the shielding of the cable.

Cable TV is a closed system.. it uses the same frequencies within the system
that are also used by other users of the RF spectrum. Using inadequately
shielded cables can lead to interference to the cable tv signal from outside
sources, and more importantly, can lead to the cable tv system causing
interference to the outside services, which can include public safety,
broadcast media, cellphones, amateur radio, etc.

Bottom line: use high quality low-loss cables, preferably with double or quad
shielding, and 95-100% shield coverage.

And keep the shield complete at the connectors. The twist-on
connectors can do a poor job of that. There was an obvious improvement
when I started using the crimped ones.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com