Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default One cable for internet and TV

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:53:30 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 00:59:38 -0400, mm
wrote:

Yes, but you would only see 1's and 0's.

In various sequences.

Actually, I think it depends on the way the provider has it set up.
In Dallas I think there are two cables coming into the house, but
apparently in that part of Canada, there is only one.

mean, buy a splitter, or perhaps figure out a way to setup a wireless
connection to the TV.? Just wondering.

I think you could only use a router for tv for any digital stations on
the cable, and not for any other stations. All of the internet is
digital (1's and 0's) so it works.

Cable internet is on low VHF (the same basic band as Ch 2-6) on
Comcast in SW Florida. It all comes in on one cable.
Compared to old style TV the internet is not that much bandwidth.
NTSC TV is a bandwidth hog. That is why the cable company is pushing
digital.

The cable internet I have uses channel 99 (frequency somewhere between
6 and 7) for downstream and T-14 (frequency less than channel 2) for
upstream.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com