Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default One cable for internet and TV

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been reading this thread - and have what may be a dumb
question...

Does the same cable that connects to TVs also provide internet service
in the USA too? We have cable (Bright House) for TV but it is basic
service so there is no box with it...we just hook up the TV to the
cable. In another room, we have a cable with modem for the internet
(Road Runner)...and it is connected to a router which is then connected
to the computer. I had no idea the same cable could do both things.
If we wanted to hook up a TV to the RR cable, could we do that? I
mean, buy a splitter, or perhaps figure out a way to setup a wireless
connection to the TV.? Just wondering.

In the US the same cable that has the TV signal also has the cable internet
on it. YOu can take your cable modem and hook it to any TV connection in
the house or you could take any TV and hook it to the wire going to the
cable modem. The only place you may run into problems is if there are
splitters or amplifiers in the lines. The cable modem usually needs a
higher level than the TV does to work. Also the amplifiers may be one way
amplifiers and will not work on the internet.

In otherwords the cable comming into the house has all the signals on it.
Usually a single splitter is used to send the maximum signal direct to the
internet modem and the other side of the splitter is then sent to all the TV
sets and other splitters for them if more than one TV is in use.