Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you 'unstick' a seized Garbage Disposal Unit?

Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.

Badger 1-83A with a power cord.

The kitchen sink was not used very often, and the disposal not run for a
while, suspect rusted 'solid'

Called 800 558 5700 and was told the wrench should enable to unstick [it
did not] and don't recommend using any chemicals. Probably have to
replace. Ok, so if I have to replace what do I lose by simply trying
chemicals?

Does anybody know some way to unstick this thing?

maybe muriatic acid to eat rust, or Whink, HF acid, or ?? I tried
lengthening the short 1/4 inch allen wrench to about a foot, but still
solid.

Any ideas? I even tried the 800 ft-lb 'hammer wrench' feature of
Rockewell's 3Rill drill to no avail. May have started to strip the allen
wrench hole, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 04:52 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.

Badger 1-83A with a power cord.

The kitchen sink was not used very often, and the disposal not run for a
while, suspect rusted 'solid'

Called 800 558 5700 and was told the wrench should enable to unstick [it
did not] and don't recommend using any chemicals. Probably have to
replace. Ok, so if I have to replace what do I lose by simply trying
chemicals?

Does anybody know some way to unstick this thing?

maybe muriatic acid to eat rust, or Whink, HF acid, or ?? I tried
lengthening the short 1/4 inch allen wrench to about a foot, but still
solid.

Any ideas? I even tried the 800 ft-lb 'hammer wrench' feature of
Rockewell's 3Rill drill to no avail. May have started to strip the allen
wrench hole, though.

With the power off, see if there is anything stuck that could be pulled
out with a pliers. If not, since you cannot turn it with the Allen
wrench...time for a new one. Sounds like the motor is ceased.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 03:15 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Get a stainless steel unit. no rust. last much longer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 6:15 PM, philo wrote:

With the power off, see if there is anything stuck that could be pulled
out with a pliers. If not, since you cannot turn it with the Allen
wrench...time for a new one. Sounds like the motor is ceased.

Most disposals can be released with a bit of leverage. I agree...it's a
ceased motor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

the old fashion way of using a broom stick handle from the
top of the disposer.
Wedge it in there and see if you can get it to turn

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 12, 2014 4:50:19 PM UTC-6, Robert Macy wrote:
Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.

All Insinkerators I have worked on or owned could be removed by a 1/4 turn...after removing the side discharge pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:52:24 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

Any ideas? I even tried the 800 ft-lb 'hammer wrench' feature of
Rockewell's 3Rill drill to no avail. May have started to strip the allen
wrench hole, though.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...e%20dispos al
Posted to alt.home.repair

With the power off, see if there is anything stuck that could be pulled
out with a pliers. If not, since you cannot turn it with the Allen
wrench...time for a new one. Sounds like the motor is ceased.

Most disposals can be released with a bit of leverage. I agree...it's a
ceased motor.

The motor would cease operation if it was seized.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 21:26:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

With the power off, see if there is anything stuck that could be pulled
out with a pliers. If not, since you cannot turn it with the Allen
wrench...time for a new one. Sounds like the motor is ceased.

Most disposals can be released with a bit of leverage. I agree...it's a
ceased motor.

The motor would cease operation if it was seized.

Especially if it's deceased.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.

You spelled it right.

90% of the volume of other brands are made by them too.

If you have to replace it, a small to medium (or big?) floor jack is a
great way to lift it up while you're turning it like a glass jar turning
into its lid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 12, 2014 5:50:19 PM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:
Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.

Badger 1-83A with a power cord.

The kitchen sink was not used very often, and the disposal not run for a
while, suspect rusted 'solid'

Called 800 558 5700 and was told the wrench should enable to unstick [it
did not] and don't recommend using any chemicals. Probably have to
replace. Ok, so if I have to replace what do I lose by simply trying
chemicals?

Does anybody know some way to unstick this thing?

maybe muriatic acid to eat rust, or Whink, HF acid, or ?? I tried
lengthening the short 1/4 inch allen wrench to about a foot, but still
solid.

Any ideas? I even tried the 800 ft-lb 'hammer wrench' feature of
Rockewell's 3Rill drill to no avail. May have started to strip the allen
wrench hole, though.

I assume you tried moving it in both directions? If it's not just
rusted, but had something stuck in it, then it might only go in the
reverse direction. If that much force won't loosen it up, I'd say it's
shot. Unlikely even if you get it to move that it will free up enough
to work right or last much longer. If I were going to try something,
I guess some light oil poured in and allowed to sit for a couple days
might do something, but I tend to doubt you'll resurect it. Also, how
old is it? If it's 10+, that's more than you can expect. I see new
basic ones going in just 895 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote in news:40bb285f-3a2e-4acd-a0f6-6a24be4d1502
@googlegroups.com:

[...] I see new basic ones going in just 895 years.

I guess that's the "Methuselah" model, right? Having a hard time imagining what you intended
to type, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:04:23 AM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
trader_4 wrote in news:40bb285f-3a2e-4acd-a0f6-6a24be4d1502
@googlegroups.com:

[...] I see new basic ones going in just 895 years.

I guess that's the "Methuselah" model, right? Having a hard time imagining what you intended
to type, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

5 years. The cat was on my desk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 8:24 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/12/2014 6:15 PM, philo wrote:

With the power off, see if there is anything stuck that could be pulled
out with a pliers. If not, since you cannot turn it with the Allen
wrench...time for a new one. Sounds like the motor is ceased.

Most disposals can be released with a bit of leverage. I agree...it's a
ceased motor.

My whirlpool washing machine motor ceased a couple
times, and was able to free it up and oil it. But,
that's a dry environment. In this case, I'd be think
to replace the whole disposal, especially one with a
ceased motor.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 9:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

With the power off, see if there is anything stuck that could be pulled
out with a pliers. If not, since you cannot turn it with the Allen
wrench...time for a new one. Sounds like the motor is ceased.

Most disposals can be released with a bit of leverage. I agree...it's a
ceased motor.

The motor would cease operation if it was seized.

How much cease would a ceased motor cease,
if it ceased to seize?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.

You spelled it right.

90% of the volume of other brands are made by them too.

If you have to replace it, a small to medium (or big?) floor jack is a
great way to lift it up while you're turning it like a glass jar turning
into its lid.

If it smells bad, is it an Ins(T)inkerator(sp?)
garbage disposal unit? Ha, ha, Instinkerator.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 16:34:00 -0700, Todd wrote:

...snip....

Get a stainless steel unit. no rust. last much longer

uh, you must have missed my VERY long diatribe regarding the phrase
'stainless steel' in OUR kitchen. Our kitchen is all SS appliances. We
have a sheen of brown forming over the fridge surface every few days which
must be wiped off. The SS sink has little spots etc. Only the GE [yecch!]
appliances are not so bad, just streak etc.

In another home, I actually had a pinhole rust right through a 'high end'
SS sink!

But maybe SS insides might be a bit better, but it was my undeerstanding
that ALL blades [and insides] were pretty much standard iron products and
open to rusting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 00:53:13 -0700, micky wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 21:26:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

With the power off, see if there is anything stuck that could be
pulled
out with a pliers. If not, since you cannot turn it with the Allen
wrench...time for a new one. Sounds like the motor is ceased.

Most disposals can be released with a bit of leverage. I agree...it's a
ceased motor.

The motor would cease operation if it was seized.

Especially if it's deceased.

arrrg! what did I do to deserve such 'pun'ishment?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.

You spelled it right.

90% of the volume of other brands are made by them too.

If you have to replace it, a small to medium (or big?) floor jack is a
great way to lift it up while you're turning it like a glass jar turning
into its lid.

Didn't know they were so heavy/awkward.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 04:47:38 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

...snip...

I assume you tried moving it in both directions? If it's not just
rusted, but had something stuck in it, then it might only go in the
reverse direction. If that much force won't loosen it up, I'd say it's
shot. Unlikely even if you get it to move that it will free up enough
to work right or last much longer. If I were going to try something,
I guess some light oil poured in and allowed to sit for a couple days
might do something, but I tend to doubt you'll resurect it. Also, how
old is it? If it's 10+, that's more than you can expect. I see new
basic ones going in just 895 years.

yes, both directions. motor hums when switch is activated [very short
period of time]

it was made May 2008 and intalled in new home that we moved into circa
2011, so wasn't really used much. Then, we ran from time to time, once in
a while, but since we are on septic [expensive double tank septic!] we
don't like to put much down it and rely upon our trash service instead.
Then, went through a spate of not really using the sink, or exercising the
GD, so thus it seized up [I'm thinking]

895 years?! not bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:18:20 AM UTC-6, Robert Macy wrote:

Didn't know they were so heavy/awkward.

They aren't!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.xqr1tnog2cx0wh@ajm...

The kitchen sink was not used very often, and the disposal not run for a
while, suspect rusted 'solid'

I've had some luck with a spray rust penetrant (one of the new variations of
WD-40) and using a broom handle through the drain hole at an angle to try
rotating the blades. The handle gives a lot of leverage. I'd let the
penetrant soak as long as I could if you think it's "rust welded."
Reversing rotation direction with the broom handle might give you an idea if
there's something wedged into the blade assembly. It might move slightly in
one direction if there's a blockage. Use a broom or broom handle that's
expendable. They can snap in half if you've got good arm strength.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 19:27:44 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

the old fashion way of using a broom stick handle from the
top of the disposer.
Wedge it in there and see if you can get it to turn

+1 One or both of the cutting blades may have wedged against the
side, keeping the unit from spinning.

OP:

Try the broomstick to see if you can move the cutting blades (free
them up).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:24:51 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Since you're likely buying a new one, here's my 2 cents. I have
an Insinkerator that's about 6 years old now, still working fine.
I recently installed a WasteKing. They are made in USA, a lot cheaper.
I paid around $95, the similar Insink would have cost twice that.
WK has a lifetime warranty, in home, I believe. How good they are
honoring it, IDK. I have to say the Insink is a lot quieter, both
when running, but especially when it starts up. The WK has a loud,
nasty bang when the blades move out, I guess. After that, it's still
noisier, but my main beef is that initial bang. Overall, I'm OK with
it for the price difference.

Only other tips I have are that some models used to have and maybe
some still have the ability to remove the rubber guard ring. That's
good for when you want to clean it or drop something in to give your
hand more room. Old Insink had that, new one the rubber guard is not
removable. On WK, I'm not sure, I think it doesn't come out either.
I also noticed a difference in the quality of the finish on the stainless
ring that you see in the bottom of the sink. Some models, the ring
had a nicer, shinier finish, if that's a concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2014 06:04 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
trader_4 wrote in news:40bb285f-3a2e-4acd-a0f6-6a24be4d1502
@googlegroups.com:

[...] I see new basic ones going in just 895 years.

I guess that's the "Methuselah" model, right? Having a hard time imagining what you intended
to type, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

8.5 years?
895 days?

--
12 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"All great ideas are dangerous." -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:38:00 PM UTC-6, Mark Lloyd wrote:

8.5 years?
895 days?

Don't strain yourself...he already said 5 yrs!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2014 06:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:04:23 AM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
trader_4 wrote in news:40bb285f-3a2e-4acd-a0f6-6a24be4d1502
@googlegroups.com:

[...] I see new basic ones going in just 895 years.

I guess that's the "Methuselah" model, right? Having a hard time imagining what you intended
to type, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

5 years. The cat was on my desk.

My cat does that too.

The "BBC self installing keyboard assistant, Retail version" at
http://notstupid.us/pic.php/IMG_0766

--
12 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"All great ideas are dangerous." -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.

You spelled it right.

90% of the volume of other brands are made by them too.

If you have to replace it, a small to medium (or big?) floor jack is a
great way to lift it up while you're turning it like a glass jar turning
into its lid.

Didn't know they were so heavy/awkward.

It might be that I'm a weakling, seriously. Although I don't think so,
I don't have any comparisons. Or that it's just hard to be outside the
cabinet reaching one's arms forward to lift. Or that I needed three
hands, Or that I was having a strangely hard time getting it in place
to twist it**, but the longer I was holding it up, the harder it got.
So I took a break for 10 minutes and told myself, Up and Twist, no
wasting time. But that didn't work either. So, the front half of
the jack went under the sink and I don't remember what I did with the
rear half. It rested on something or the middle of the jack rested on
the edge of the cabinet, and I balanced the disposal with one hand and
raised the jack with the other, and it was all very easy.

I may have done it one more time somewhere the same way, and again,
easy.

**even though I noitced which way the label pointed. Heck, maybe that
was my mistake, Maybe they had changed the position of the label, though
I don' tthink so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2014 08:16 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 16:34:00 -0700, Todd wrote:

...snip....

Get a stainless steel unit. no rust. last much longer

uh, you must have missed my VERY long diatribe regarding the phrase
'stainless steel' in OUR kitchen. Our kitchen is all SS appliances. We
have a sheen of brown forming over the fridge surface every few days
which must be wiped off. The SS sink has little spots etc. Only the GE
[yecch!] appliances are not so bad, just streak etc.

In another home, I actually had a pinhole rust right through a 'high
end' SS sink!

But maybe SS insides might be a bit better, but it was my undeerstanding
that ALL blades [and insides] were pretty much standard iron products
and open to rusting.

I go to the part about rust and presumed it was conventional
steel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:05:11 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

[...]

Noise is an issue, expecially a 'bang' which comes under the heading of,
"it just doesn't sound right."

Can't remember about the quality of SS finish. May bypass the whole
!@#$#@! thing. What do I need with a GD?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:49:24 -0700, Robert Green
wrote:

....snip...

I've had some luck with a spray rust penetrant (one of the new
variations of
WD-40) and using a broom handle through the drain hole at an angle to try
rotating the blades. The handle gives a lot of leverage. I'd let the
penetrant soak as long as I could if you think it's "rust welded."
Reversing rotation direction with the broom handle might give you an
idea if
there's something wedged into the blade assembly. It might move
slightly in
one direction if there's a blockage. Use a broom or broom handle that's
expendable. They can snap in half if you've got good arm strength.

--
Bobby G.

Thanks for the tip. I actually have 'broken' two crescent wrenches and a
screwdriver shaft - not prying, but twisting.

I will look for this 'enhanced' WD-40

I used to use naptha and machine oil but that's a bit dangerous inside a
home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2014 12:42 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:38:00 PM UTC-6, Mark Lloyd wrote:

8.5 years?
895 days?

Don't strain yourself...he already said 5 yrs!

That was my mistake, replying to a post before reading the rest of the
thread.

--
11 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:37:38 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

IDK why WasteKing doesn't do something to fix it. It sounds like it's
the blades flying out, maybe more slop in them than Insinkerator, etc.
It doesn't seem like it would be a hard thing to do. But there is definitely
a lot more noise, at least some of the time, when it starts up. I think
if there is some decent amount of stuff already in it, then it's notieceably
less. But if it's empty, there is definitely enough of a bang when it
starts that you take notice. If that's unacceptable, then Insink is the
way to go, at the additional cost. Unless WK has gotten quieter in the
last couple of years....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 18:15:31 -0800, Todd wrote:

[...]

Most of my GD failures have been either the aluminum casing rotting
out or water getting to the motor bearings and seizing them up. I've
never had the cutters go bad before something else did in MY personal
house but I have had renters that let crap fall in and destroy the
grinding mechanism parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.xqu7b5h82cx0wh@ajm...
wrote:

....snip...
I've had some luck with a spray rust penetrant (one of the new

variations of
WD-40) and using a broom handle through the drain hole at an angle to

try
rotating the blades. The handle gives a lot of leverage.

stuff snipped

Thanks for the tip. I actually have 'broken' two crescent wrenches and a
screwdriver shaft - not prying, but twisting.

Sounds like it's very nicely rust-welded. Or jammed. There should be
slight wiggle in at least one direction if jammed but none if fused by rust.
I have managed to move the stuck cutter head with a broomstick when the
little wrench did nothing - just not enough leverage.

I will look for this 'enhanced' WD-40

I was afraid to even mention it since the mere appearance of those five
characters causes at least *someone* to go into a titter. (-"

I used to use naptha and machine oil but that's a bit dangerous inside a
home.

I seem to recall you said you had a "delicate" septic system. I would be
sure to disconnect the GD if the penetrating spray fails before running any
water through it to keep the goop out of the septic tank. If the spray
manages to free it, you could disconnect it from the waste pipe and flush it
into a bucket but I suspect that's not going to be a problem. Based on what
you've tried, it sounds stuck tight.

When these suckers freeze, they usually stay frozen. Even worse I've had
one apart, oiled and cleaned everything and two weeks later it seized again.
We live without one now and hardly miss it. There's enough crap that goes
into the public waste water - they don't need ours, too. It was nasty
enough work that I would just replace one that was more than a few years old
if we still used one.

Not as bad as the weekend I spent disassembling a GF's washing machine to
uncoil some pantyhose that had been sucked into the impeller and stretched
to about 30' wrapped around the impeller shaft. Got it working and when I
came by later in the week, it was gone and she had bought and installed a
new machine. I guess she had no confidence in the machine anymore since
some stray grease got unto one of her white blouses after the very nasty
repair. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2014 07:39 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
May bypass the whole !@#$#@! thing. What do I need with a GD?

What will the neighbors think ?!?!?!?!

What would *we* think ?!?!?!?!

Okay, okay, I never use my disposal either. It
would be one less piece of crap to have to maintain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The last time I was confronted with this situation I went to remove the GD (because there was actual waste backing up in it so it was easier to put a big storage tote underneath it and drop it) and when I got it out I found that it had rusted through to the motor and actually was leaking water into the cord connection compartment :/ A new GD was the fix...

nate

Garbage disposal Red Home Repair 30 April 17th 13 04:17 AM
garbage disposal Dottie Home Repair 7 March 31st 08 11:21 PM
Garbage Disposal Unit? Tony Williams UK diy 20 June 7th 07 03:47 PM
garbage disposal badgolferman Home Repair 1 August 31st 03 06:41 AM
Blocked garbage disposal unit bliksem Home Repair 4 July 13th 03 04:12 AM