Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Garbage disposal

OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. Anyone know of a better model?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red writes:

OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. Anyone know of a better model?

If you bought an upper end Insinkerator it has a lifetime guarantee
with in home replacement.

I had a low end one wear out in a couple of years.
No guarantee either.

The replacement is still going after 10 years.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

I looked into this a few months ago, looked at a lot of
reviews, etc. Decided Waste King was the best value deal.
They have a long in home warranty, longer than Insinkerator,
and a lot less money. This one replaced a basic Insinkerator
that a builder installed, lasted only 6 years. The WK was
about $100 versus $180 for an Insinkerator.

I also have a better model Insinkerator, about 5 years old now
and it's been fine. The biggest difference between the two is that
the Insinkerator is quieter. The Waste King makes a lot of noise
when you first install it and it starts up. Makes a loud clang/bang,
which must be the cutting heads spinning out or something. But,
with food actually in it, it's less noisey. Still, it makes more
noise
on startup and somewhat more noise when running than the
Insinkerator. How much that matters depends on you.

The other thing that's different, Insinkerator uses a neat flange
design so that you install the flange, then the disposal just goes
underneath and you turn a lock ring to secure it. MAkes it easier
to hang. The WK uses a rubber mounting piece with clamps, so
you have to hold/support the unit and then tighten the clamps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

I looked into this a few months ago, looked at a lot of
reviews, etc. Decided Waste King was the best value deal.
They have a long in home warranty, longer than Insinkerator,
and a lot less money. This one replaced a basic Insinkerator
that a builder installed, lasted only 6 years. The WK was
about $100 versus $180 for an Insinkerator.

Same conclusion I reached last fall. I got 10 years out of my last
insinkerator, but couldn't find another 3/4hp one.

The Waste king is 3/4hp, 8 yr warranty & was $108, delivered to my
door from buyplumbing.net.

I also have a better model Insinkerator, about 5 years old now
and it's been fine. The biggest difference between the two is that
the Insinkerator is quieter. The Waste King makes a lot of noise
when you first install it and it starts up. Makes a loud clang/bang,
which must be the cutting heads spinning out or something. But,
with food actually in it, it's less noisey. Still, it makes more
noise

Mine is *different* sounding than the old insinkerator, but I couldn't
call it noisier-- though I'm comparing to an 8yr old dying one.

The other thing that's different, Insinkerator uses a neat flange
design so that you install the flange, then the disposal just goes
underneath and you turn a lock ring to secure it. MAkes it easier
to hang. The WK uses a rubber mounting piece with clamps, so
you have to hold/support the unit and then tighten the clamps.

We agree on that count, too. but the WK was easier to put in than
it looked like it was going to be from the directions.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

InSinkErator has a couple of different series of disposals and a few
different models within each series. We'd be hardpressed to suggest a
"better model" - InSinkErator or other - unless we knew what model you
currently have.

However, before we even go down the "better model" path, I have to
ask: What kind of pipes do you have?

20 plus years ago I bought a house that didn't have a disposal. The
drains were galvanized and at the time I knew nothing about plumbing,
so I gave the keys to a trusted plumber and asked him to install one
for me. He called me a few hours later and said that my galvanized
pipes were so clogged with grease and other crap that there was no way
they could handle a disposal. He said he needed to replace the
galvanized with PVC from the sink to the sewer line in the basement,
maybe 6 - 8 feet worth.

When I got home and looked at the various sections of pipe that he had
cut out, there was nothing buy a small spiral hole through the grease.
I couldn't see more than a couple of inches into any pipe.

We've raised 4 kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats (they eat too!) in this house
and have gone through 2 disposals - a Kenmore POS and an InSinkErator
Evolution - with not one single clog. I love the InSinkErator both
because it is extremely quiet and because the rubber drain baffle is
removable in case something falls into the disposal that shouldn't.

Are you sure it's the disposal that's the problem and not something
further down the line that should be dealt with?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 10:36*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:

[...]

I don't know about the WK, but another nice feature of the
InSinkErator Evolution Series is that the rubber drain baffle is
removable. Not only does the baffle reduce the noise (as it is
designed to do) it will also last almost indefinitely.

My old Kenmore had a baffle that was sandwiched between the sink and
the drain ring. After a couple of years of shoving my hand through the
baffle to retrieve a pop top tab or bread bag tie (darn kids!) the
baffle started to rip. Once the rip started, larger items would fall
through, like small bars of soap, etc. Retrieving those put more wear
and tear on the baffle. It was a never ending cycle. Replacing the
baffle meant dropping the disposal and dismantling sink drain, so it
never got done.

The InSinkErator baffle is so much tighter that I never have to
retrieve anything from the disposal, but if I want to rinse something
"large" into the disposal, the baffle just lifts right out. No wear
and tear and full access to the inside of the disposal if needed. If
something does happen to it (and I don't see how) I can just drop a
new one in it's place.

I couldn't be happier and have no doubt that I'll buy another
InSinkErator if this one should go bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 06:38:34 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. Anyone know of a better model?

I've been using Insinkerator ~18 years. This house, the Insinkerator
is over 8 years old.

What are you putting in it to make it clog. How is it connected
(dishwasher/ gap vent only)?

http://applianceguru.com/dishwashers/drain_help.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 12:13*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
" wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

I looked into this a few months ago, looked at a lot of
reviews, etc. *Decided Waste King was the best value deal.
They have a long in home warranty, longer than Insinkerator,
and a lot less money. *This one replaced a basic Insinkerator
that a builder installed, lasted only 6 years. *The WK was
about $100 versus $180 for an Insinkerator.

Same conclusion I reached last fall. * I got 10 years out of my last
insinkerator, but couldn't find another 3/4hp one.

Here are links to 3/4 hp InSinkErators at both HD and Lowes:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2034257...or&R=203425755

http://www.lowes.com/pd_240436-712-P...1269089&rpp=32

Unless they've changed their tactics lately, HD and Lowes (and
Insinkerator too, I guess) play games with their model numbers so that
you can't price match. There will be one small feature difference
between the models carried by each store so the model numbers will be
slightly different. 1/8 of a hp here, a bit more sound insulation
there, and you can't play one store against the other. At least that's
what I ran into when I was shopping for a disposal a few years back.

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:
[...]

Good the hear you had similar thoughts. I don't know about
your WK, but one other difference between my WK and
the Insinkerator is that the WK came with a pre-attached cord. Since
mine was direct wire, I had to remove the cord
and then direct wire it in. No big deal, but it added a bit to
the process.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 1:14*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 15, 10:36*am, "
wrote:

On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:

[...]

That's a good point that I forgot. And it's one of those things
that you would not know until it's too late. On the WK, the
rubber baffle thingy is not removable. I agree, having it
removable is better. Expecially when you drop something
in there and need to get it out. Pulling it out makes it easier
to get your hand down there. It's also good that you can
clean it once in a while too.

Not only does the baffle reduce the noise (as it is
designed to do) it will also last almost indefinitely.

My old Kenmore had a baffle that was sandwiched between the sink and
the drain ring. After a couple of years of shoving my hand through the
baffle to retrieve a pop top tab or bread bag tie (darn kids!) the
baffle started to rip. Once the rip started, larger items would fall
through, like small bars of soap, etc. Retrieving those put more wear
and tear on the baffle. It was a never ending cycle. Replacing the
baffle meant dropping the disposal and dismantling sink drain, so it
never got done.

Yep, I hear you.

The InSinkErator baffle is so much tighter that I never have to
retrieve anything from the disposal, but if I want to rinse something
"large" into the disposal, the baffle just lifts right out. No wear
and tear and full access to the inside of the disposal if needed. If
something does happen to it (and I don't see how) I can just drop a
new one in it's place.

I couldn't be happier and have no doubt that I'll buy another
InSinkErator if this one should go bad.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

I've been using Insinkerator ~18 years. *This house, the Insinkerator
is over 8 years old.

What are you putting in it to make it clog. How is it connected
(dishwasher/ gap vent only)?

http://applianceguru.com/dishwashers/drain_help.jpg

I'm also wondering how in the world large pieces of
anything could get through the disposa? I can see ground
up stuff building up somehow, but I would not think big
pieces of anything could get through a disposl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

I've been using Insinkerator ~18 years. *This house, the Insinkerator
is over 8 years old.

What are you putting in it to make it clog. How is it connected
(dishwasher/ gap vent only)?

http://applianceguru.com/dishwashers/drain_help.jpg

I'm also wondering how in the world large pieces of
anything could get through the disposa? I can see ground
up stuff building up somehow, but I would not think big
pieces of anything could get through a disposl.

I won't mentioned my lovely bride, but one day she decided to put
collard green stalks and leaf veins in the disposal. Well guess what.

The mess backed up into the other sink drain. Had to take the gap vent
cap off (on top of sink), partially fill the sinks and then plunge the
disposal side. ...now she puts that stuff in the garden where it
belongs :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:14:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I couldn't be happier and have no doubt that I'll buy another
InSinkErator if this one should go bad.

.... and when you do, it will take 10 minutes replace.

I like the way the ring turns at the mount point to the sink. Spin off
or spin on.

Easy to replace.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

wrote:

OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

I've been using Insinkerator ~18 years. *This house, the Insinkerator
is over 8 years old.

What are you putting in it to make it clog. How is it connected
(dishwasher/ gap vent only)?

http://applianceguru.com/dishwashers/drain_help.jpg

I'm also wondering how in the world large pieces of
anything could get through the disposa? *I can see ground
up stuff building up somehow, but I would not think big
pieces of anything could get through a disposl.

Double sink. Right side goes straight down, thru a 'T', and into the
trap. Left side goes thru the disposal, into the 'T' and down. The
'T' has a split internal opening, drain 'R' on one side and drain 'L'
in the other. Being a 1 1/2" drain pipe, that allows each side to be
a 3/4" opening. That can cause a blockage of the disposal side
although it is usually rare. Most blockages occur where the trap
output T's into the drop line/vent to the main sewer line.

As Oren said, greens are a big problem. A recent golf ball sized
piece of ham, no fat, shredded horizontally in strips and clogged in
the drain T's 3/4" side. Even egg shells don't break small enough to
get thru without causing problems. Makes you wonder just what will
get thru ok. My wife clogs it up and hollers for help a lot.

The original disposal, a Frigidaire IIRC, never caused a blockage in
20+ years, so I can't blame the PVC undersink plumbing. The one now
has not been as good, but this Insinkerator might be the lower grade
instead of the higher one. The rubber baffle is not removable on this
one.

I'm not looking for a fix, just a recommended good model - and it's
sounding a lot like a Waste King or top size Insinkerator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:22:40 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

As Oren said, greens are a big problem. A recent golf ball sized
piece of ham, no fat, shredded horizontally in strips and clogged in
the drain T's 3/4" side. Even egg shells don't break small enough to
get thru without causing problems. Makes you wonder just what will
get thru ok. My wife clogs it up and hollers for help a lot.

...holler back at her

Tell her to put everything in the garden; except meat. animal fat and
bones.

Does she put coffee grounds in the disposal?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:
[...]

Maybe it was the $100 less, but still good reviews, for the WK that
swayed me.

I know the old one was Insinkerator and I'm not one to change brands
for no reason.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:44:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 15, 12:13*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
I looked into this a few months ago, looked at a lot of
reviews, etc. *Decided Waste King was the best value deal.

-snip-

Same conclusion I reached last fall. * I got 10 years out of my last
insinkerator, but couldn't find another 3/4hp one.

The Waste king is 3/4hp, 8 yr warranty & was $108, delivered to my
door from buyplumbing.net.

-snip-
Good the hear you had similar thoughts. I don't know about
your WK, but one other difference between my WK and
the Insinkerator is that the WK came with a pre-attached cord. Since
mine was direct wire, I had to remove the cord
and then direct wire it in. No big deal, but it added a bit to
the process.

I think mine did to--- but an extra heavy duty cord is always useful
around here.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. Anyone know of a better model?

I replaced a 25 year old KitchenAid with another KitchenAid. Works
well and I'd to it again.

I bought it at www.abt.com and saved about $100 over other sources on
line or local.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

I replaced a 25 year old KitchenAid with another KitchenAid. *Works
well and I'd to it again.

I bought it atwww.abt.comand saved about $100 over other sources on
line or local.

Abt is well-known in northern IL, has been for years and has a
sterling reputation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 15, 2013 6:38:34 AM UTC-7, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. The original one died

a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. That thing

just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many

blockages. The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the

original produced. It must be the blades causing the problem, and

they do spin free. Anyone know of a better model?

Aside from loading, instead of slowly feeding items to your disposal or not turning on the water all the way your blockage problem may be with your faucet. What is the size of the water connector supplying water to your faucet? Is it 3/8”, 7/16” or ½”? If you have one of those pretty faucets with a 3/8” connector you’re probably not running enough water. Get a commercial faucet with a ½” connector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. Anyone know of a better model?

I've never found any of them to be worth the money. I've tossed soup
cans and glass bottles in mine and they always jam up. Even a simple
plastic soda bottle jams them. When we remodeled the bathroom, my
husband tried to shove the old wooden flooring and the broken toilet
into my disposal, and that really made a mess. We had to get a new
disposal after that. The old livingroom carpeting was even more of a
problem, the whole disposal shorted out started to smoke, and blew the
fuse. My husband had to get an electrician. About the only thing they
work for is soup and stale bread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What about your pea-sized brain????????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 10:41*pm, wrote:
On Monday, April 15, 2013 6:38:34 AM UTC-7, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died

a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing

just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many

blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the

original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and

they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

Aside from loading, instead of slowly feeding items to your disposal or not turning on the water all the way your blockage problem may be with your faucet. What is the size of the water connector supplying water to your faucet? Is it 3/8”, 7/16” or ½”? If you have one of those pretty faucets with a 3/8” connector
you’re probably not running enough water. Get a commercial faucet with a ½” connector.

Speaking of faucets and flow rates, I called Kohler to get a
replacement head for my "fancy faucet". While looking up the part
number, I came across a replacement aerator that increases the flow
from 1.8 GPM to 2.2 GPM.

When I told the CSR to toss a "high flow adapter" in the box he said
"Have you checked with your local authorities to see if 2.2 GPM
exceeds the maximum flow rate for your municipality?"

"Of course!" I answered. "It's fine."

After I hung up, I got to thinking. Assuming a municipality has a
maximum flow rate for faucets, shower heads, etc. do they also have
flow rate restrictions on hose bibs?

My hose bibs are plumbed in before the PRV so I get street pressure
and lots of flow. I never heard of municipal flow rate restrictions
for hose bibs. Do they exist?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 3:56*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 15, 10:41*pm, wrote:

[...]

I've never heard of such a restriction. Also, no restriction
that I've heard of around here, NJ, for lawn sprinkler systems
either. And you can sure go through a lot of water when
you have 25 heads that run 2 GPM. The most they do is restrict
watering to odd/even days when there is a shortage. Does
that even do anything? I guess it cuts down on some percentage
of those that are dumb enough to be watering every day. And
if it gets really bad, then they would ban lawn watering all together,
but that hasn't happened here.

But I think part of the issue is that it's not just the water used,
it's the waste water generated that then goes through the
municipal sewers. With a hose bib or lawn watering, that
generally doesn't wind up in the sewers, while your faucet
water does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 10:41 pm, wrote:

On Monday, April 15, 2013 6:38:34 AM UTC-7, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. The original one died

a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. That thing

just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many

blockages. The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the

original produced. It must be the blades causing the problem, and

they do spin free. Anyone know of a better model?

Aside from loading, instead of slowly feeding items to your disposal or
not turning on the water all the way your blockage problem may be with
your faucet. What is the size of the water connector supplying water
to your faucet? Is it 3/8€, 7/16€ or Β½€? If you have one of those
pretty faucets with a 3/8€ connector
youre probably not running enough water. Get a commercial faucet with a Β½€ connector.

[...]

Not so. I often run my hose directly into the sewer so that I don't get my
driveway wet.

(I'm not adding a smiley so that I can see the reaction I get from the less
than clue full.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I couldn't be happier and have no doubt that I'll buy another
InSinkErator if this one should go bad.

... and when you do, it will take 10 minutes replace.

I like the way the ring turns at the mount point to the sink. Spin off
or spin on.

Easy to replace.

In theory. Remember, it's plumbing. If it can go wrong, it will.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I couldn't be happier and have no doubt that I'll buy another
InSinkErator if this one should go bad.

... and when you do, it will take 10 minutes replace.

I like the way the ring turns at the mount point to the sink. Spin off
or spin on.

Easy to replace.

Hi,
Ditto, here. After almost 20 years original one was wearing out. I
called the customer support, warm body answered right away.
I asked what is direct replacement for my old one, they gave the part
no., improved version of all SS body. Lot less than an hour to swap
them. Runs quieter than old one as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:56:02 PM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 15, 10:41*pm, wrote:

[...]

Hence my point exactly. Do you think that municipality flow rates apply to commercial institutions? Not on your life. Even the EPA lead laws don’t apply to them.

Garbage disposal JIMMIE Home Repair 1 December 28th 09 10:33 PM
garbage disposal Dottie Home Repair 7 March 31st 08 11:21 PM
Garbage disposal professorpaul Home Repair 7 October 21st 07 04:15 PM
garbage disposal doesn't MrAoD Home Repair 7 October 18th 04 11:37 AM
Garbage disposal KRusso6984 Home Repair 7 February 14th 04 07:16 PM