Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Garbage disposal

" wrote:
On Apr 16, 3:56 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 15, 10:41 pm, wrote:

On Monday, April 15, 2013 6:38:34 AM UTC-7, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. The original one died

a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. That thing

just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many

blockages. The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the

original produced. It must be the blades causing the problem, and

they do spin free. Anyone know of a better model?

Aside from loading, instead of slowly feeding items to your disposal or
not turning on the water all the way your blockage problem may be with
your faucet. What is the size of the water connector supplying water
to your faucet? Is it 3/8, 7/16 or ½? If you have one of those
pretty faucets with a 3/8 connector
youre probably not running enough water. Get a commercial faucet with a ½ connector.

Speaking of faucets and flow rates, I called Kohler to get a
replacement head for my "fancy faucet". While looking up the part
number, I came across a replacement aerator that increases the flow
from 1.8 GPM to 2.2 GPM.

When I told the CSR to toss a "high flow adapter" in the box he said
"Have you checked with your local authorities to see if 2.2 GPM
exceeds the maximum flow rate for your municipality?"

"Of course!" I answered. "It's fine."

After I hung up, I got to thinking. Assuming a municipality has a
maximum flow rate for faucets, shower heads, etc. do they also have
flow rate restrictions on hose bibs?

My hose bibs are plumbed in before the PRV so I get street pressure
and lots of flow. I never heard of municipal flow rate restrictions
for hose bibs. Do they exist?

I've never heard of such a restriction. Also, no restriction
that I've heard of around here, NJ, for lawn sprinkler systems
either. And you can sure go through a lot of water when
you have 25 heads that run 2 GPM. The most they do is restrict
watering to odd/even days when there is a shortage. Does
that even do anything? I guess it cuts down on some percentage
of those that are dumb enough to be watering every day. And
if it gets really bad, then they would ban lawn watering all together,
but that hasn't happened here.

But I think part of the issue is that it's not just the water used,
it's the waste water generated that then goes through the
municipal sewers. With a hose bib or lawn watering, that
generally doesn't wind up in the sewers, while your faucet
water does.

Not so. I often run my hose directly into the sewer so that I don't get my
driveway wet.

(I'm not adding a smiley so that I can see the reaction I get from the less
than clue full.)