Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Garbage disposal

On Apr 15, 12:13*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
" wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

I looked into this a few months ago, looked at a lot of
reviews, etc. *Decided Waste King was the best value deal.
They have a long in home warranty, longer than Insinkerator,
and a lot less money. *This one replaced a basic Insinkerator
that a builder installed, lasted only 6 years. *The WK was
about $100 versus $180 for an Insinkerator.

Same conclusion I reached last fall. * I got 10 years out of my last
insinkerator, but couldn't find another 3/4hp one.

Here are links to 3/4 hp InSinkErators at both HD and Lowes:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2034257...or&R=203425755

http://www.lowes.com/pd_240436-712-P...1269089&rpp=32

Unless they've changed their tactics lately, HD and Lowes (and
Insinkerator too, I guess) play games with their model numbers so that
you can't price match. There will be one small feature difference
between the models carried by each store so the model numbers will be
slightly different. 1/8 of a hp here, a bit more sound insulation
there, and you can't play one store against the other. At least that's
what I ran into when I was shopping for a disposal a few years back.

The Waste king is 3/4hp, 8 yr warranty & was $108, delivered to my
door from buyplumbing.net.

I also have a better model Insinkerator, about 5 years old now
and it's been fine. * The biggest difference between the two is that
the Insinkerator is quieter. *The Waste King makes a lot of noise
when you first install it and it starts up. *Makes a loud clang/bang,
which must be the cutting heads spinning out or something. *But,
with food actually in it, it's less noisey. *Still, it makes more
noise

Mine is *different* sounding than the old insinkerator, but I couldn't
call it noisier-- though I'm comparing to an 8yr old dying one.

The other thing that's different, Insinkerator uses a neat flange
design so that you install the flange, then the disposal just goes
underneath and you turn a lock ring to secure it. *MAkes it easier
to hang. * The WK uses a rubber mounting piece with clamps, so
you have to hold/support the unit and then tighten the clamps.

We agree on that count, too. * * *but the WK was easier to put in than
it looked like it was going to be from the directions.

Jim- Hide quoted text -